Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One question about bar fishing  (Read 3885 times)

Yopesco

One question about bar fishing
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:49:46 PM »

Hey guys, I have never bar fished before, and from reading the posts in this forum I've got the impression that every time you catch a fish when you are bar fishing, a big piece of lead is left behind (12-20 ounces!!!), is that correct?  If so, does it bother anybody that such amount of lead is being droped in the rivers every year?  Sorry, I don't want to spoil anybody's fun, I love fishing but that amount of lead per fish taken is kind of disturbing.
Again, nothing against bar fishing, just want to know ???

Yopesco

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
Re:One question about bar fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:07:21 PM »

Doesn't Leadbelly go fishing them all out of the river after every season? ;D ;D ;D
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

TtotheE

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 10:29:14 PM »

I fished up a 20oz at Herrling.  Shoulda seen the ballz of line/hooks/weights that had snagged themselves on it and the rest of the rig.  It was snagged quite a ways off from shore.  HOW are you guys muscling it out so far  :o  Is there a special technique to tossing it out baseball style so you don't hook yourself or get the thing all tangled up mid-air?

Yopesco

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 10:50:49 PM »

I had seen snagging the weight, combined with 20 ounces lead connected by a string of leader, being pulled by a 20-30 pound fish, and assumed that the leader would break and the weigth be left behind, while the fish took off hooked and you would only have to deal with line and fish, no weigth, obviously I interpreted wrong.

Thanks to all of you guys for clarifying that to me. [moderated]

Yopesco
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 10:53:06 PM by DragonSpeed »

TtotheE

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 10:54:55 PM »

I believe someone mentioned that you "could" attach your weight with a lighter line, in case your weight gets "snagged" while you are fighting a fish,  in which case your weight will snap off and keep the fish on.

Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 07:31:52 AM »

When I fished up around terece and Rupert we would ty a knot in the weight line to ensure that if there was a snag when a fish did get hooked we would loose the weight not the fish......

That was 12 years ago now things may have changed.

Fraser is also is a lot different than the skena

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 08:15:52 AM »

another method was using a railway spike. when the fish hit and you set the hook wham fish on spike off. this way you were just fighting the fish. but i have not seen that done in years. ;D

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 03:17:59 PM »

I went on a sturgen trip in the upper fraser and thats what we used as weights, railway spikes.  They were not meant to come off though.
I like ROE

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 06:11:16 PM »

I caught my first sturgeon using a 3 oz lug nut off a bob cat from work and have seen all sorts of things like scrap iron, rocks and zinc used.It works.