Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Ranking  (Read 18478 times)

BirdNester

Salmon Ranking
« on: August 20, 2004, 06:58:21 PM »

This is how I understand the ranking for Salmon in relation to the finest meal.

First, Sockeye.
Second, Coho.
Third, Chinook. (red then white)
Fourth, Pink.
Fifth, Chum.

Does everyone agree?
And what is so bad with Chum that people say they won't take them home? Are they really that bad, or are they just not as good as the others? It can't be the worst fish out there, or is it? I eat fish and chips, they use Cod, is Chum better than Cod? Also, the people that take them home say they only smoke them.
Educate me.
RobertO

Viking_Fish_God

• I'm a llama!
Re:Salmon Ranking
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 07:09:20 PM »

Chum is very tastey as fish-n-chips :D
Even on the bbq.
There are alot of people who choose to malign the chum, i did for 1 season till I tried it and really liked it. Use beer batter(English style).
Dont give in too the elitist mass's they are good.

BirdNester

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 07:18:10 PM »

Personally I think this perception comes from morons catching and bonking boots and eating them.

Boots? Are you saying you like and eat chum?

RobertO

Bantam_50

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 07:26:27 PM »

My preferance... but for smoking I'd say ho's then chum, followed by chinook and sockeye...just not a pink fan.

First, Sockeye.
Second, Coho.
Third, Chinook. (red then white)
Fourth, Chum
Fifth, Pink

TtotheE

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 08:10:26 PM »

Chum is white meat,  and for some ethnic groups the white meat is better than the red.  I've had chum chinese style,  steamed then served with a soy sauce, peanut oil, and salt/seasoning mixture boiled and poured on top. YUMMMM!  I find this recipe doesn't go well with the red meat fish as well as it does for white.  Also,  if you go through the articles on the FWR home page there's a link to a recipe for chum so it tastes like LOBSTER!!  Gotta try that out this season  ;D

White meat chinook is ranked #1 by many sushi chefs,  even over the prized sockeye.  I think its just the early fraser whites however.  Tried some this year.  Comparable to TORO! The boots I hear of that swim up to the vedder on the other hand... ???  Never fished for those,  not a fan of "bruisers".  I like the lil scrappers/jumpers  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 08:33:50 PM »

Nothing wrong with any of them providing they are in excellent shape. As gmanfxp has stated alot has to do with perception of people catching and eating boots. Pinks and chums are a blast to catch on flies.

BirdNester

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 08:35:19 PM »

Yeah, cultural differences like that are neat. I am friends with alot of Vietnamese and they'll take the head of the fish before the body. Kinda works out perfect, one fish feeds many people, nothing left over.
RobertO

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 08:39:25 PM »

Fish head soup ?

BirdNester

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 08:46:01 PM »

Fish head soup ?

Yup.
Which leads to my next question... Am I allowed to give the heads of my Sockeye to them? I was under the impression that you have to keep the heads until you consume the fish.
RobertO

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 09:00:04 PM »

Nice clean whites taste great smoked ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 09:13:06 PM »

Fish head soup ?

Yup.
Which leads to my next question... Am I allowed to give the heads of my Sockeye to them? I was under the impression that you have to keep the heads until you consume the fish.
RobertO

Once you bring the fish home, you can do whatever you like with the head. Give it to your cat, plant it under your rose bush, give it to your neighours. Choice is up to you.

otto

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 09:43:58 PM »

Fish head soup ?

Yup.
RobertO

Once you bring the fish home, you can do whatever you like with the head. Give it to your cat, plant it under your rose bush, give it to your neighours. Choice is up to you.

hehehehe Atilla The Hun (cat) loves them fishy heads.........my buddy on the other hand, was pissed at me for a week when he opened his toolbox and there was a stinky fishhead that somehow (i really don't know how  ;D ) ended up in there.............................. :D

pinkwool

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 09:47:41 PM »

Last weekend I had an ocean fresh coho and chinook both done the same way on the BBQ. I would definitely say chinook was better than coho. The meat was more tasty and juicy on chinook than coho. Both fish were caught the same day on the west coast VI.
This ranking depends on how you prepare the fish and where you catch them. Chinooks have more fat in the flesh - better for baking, BBQ. Sockeye are more firm and better for lox, smoking.
As for white/red chinooks. Ocean fresh whites are more priced than reds. The Vedder whites are not very good for baking/BBQ as they are too close to spawning.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 11:34:26 PM »

I think a fish's table worthiness is decided solely on how for gone it is and how long it has been turned.  As a fish spends more and more time in the river, it depletes more and more from its flesh leaving a less desiravle food product.

Pinks and the vedder whites, I find turn very fast.  I find chums turn color qite fast but hold their meat quality longer than the other species.  A clean chum is great...high oil content, hence a great smoker/BBQ fish. I take a chum over a vedder white any day!

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 11:37:07 PM »

funny,  My sister's family has traded us in the past...halibut fillets for salmon heads.  too hilarious, but both sides think they are getting the better deal.  Her hubby is chinese, they think it totally gourmet.  

my ranking: socks, coho, red springs...after that, I refuse to eat, but mind you, i am the world's pickiest eater.  
Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!