Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Sasamat  (Read 13832 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re:Fishing Sasamat
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2004, 11:21:17 PM »

Zaphod: I like to toughen my shrimp meat with coarse salt when I go steelheading. It last longer.

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2004, 11:22:16 PM »

Check fish wizard for the stocking, see what they have been doing the last few years for stocking times.  I usually fish it during the spring.  Never tries it in the fall.  I fished buntzen in the fall more.
I like ROE

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »

I think Fish Wizard is down today, but I'll check it out, thanks.

Do you know if there are good spots to fish Buntzen from shore?

TtotheE

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2004, 11:52:33 PM »

Last time I was headed out from Buntzen,  just left of the dog park/beach area there were quite a few rises.  I wish I had time to tie on a dry fly.  This I believe was back in June as the sun set over the hills.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2004, 09:26:30 AM »

Max,

Thanks.  Do you just use more fishing line to make the knot, or do you use some other kind of thread as the website seems to indicate?

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2004, 09:28:02 AM »

TtotheE,

Being a newcomer to fishing in general, my understanding is that using a dry fly requires a fly rod/reel/line combination.  Since I don't have this, "tying on a dry fly" would be something I can't do.  Am I right?

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2004, 05:35:25 PM »

I don't have any of that accessible to me today, but I'll keep it in mind.  I read somewhere that you can get away with using dental floss, and so far, so good.  I'll see if it works.

TtotheE

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2004, 01:21:26 AM »

Actually,  I've done the following:

Used a wooden float,  the kind that balances itself and has enough weight to cast out on its own.  Tie on a leader as fine as  you dare.  For hatcheries 2-4# should do fine.  Then tie on the dry,  lots of floatant.  After you cast out,  carefully reel in your line so your main line,  float,  and dry fly are in a straight line and patiently wait for the wake to dissapear.  Usually just keeping the dry there should work,  otherwise giving it the slightest twitch every so often works too to get the trout's attention.

Also,  I'm sure Otto has used his long pole to the same effect.

I personally enjoy watching my fly line roll out infront of me,  when trying to present the fly properly.  Doesn't mean other methods won't work  ;)

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2004, 09:05:50 AM »

TtotheE,

I'm interested to try this, but I'm not sure I totally understand.  Here's what I understood:

- A dry fly is tied on the end.
- A sliding wooden float is tied prior to the fly.

How much leader would you put between the float and the fly?  And, forgive the stupid question, but what is "floatant"?

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 09:09:34 AM »

Well, that stopper knot did the trick.  I think I've got my setup right the way it should be now.  I was out there last night, had bait in the water for nearly four hours, and not a single bite.  There were at least four other fishermen around, and I didn't see any fish reeled in.  I'm thinking that this might not be the best time of year for Sasamat.

I'm thinking to try Buntzen instead, but I dunno if it will be any better.  Does anyone have any suggestions for lakes to try in the Burnaby vicinity that might be productive this time of year?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2004, 01:30:07 PM »

but what is "floatant"?

A floatant is a substance that is applied to a leader to make it float. Generally used by fly fishermen.

TtotheE

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2004, 02:16:20 PM »

I've only rigged up a spinning outfit with a fly on the end about three times,  so I'm no expert on the floats.  The float I have has 2 rings where you can tie your mainline,  and your leader to.  Unlike the foam floats alot of people use on the Vedder or Stave,  it does not slide so you can't set the length.  I'm sure there are other types however,  somebody who has more experience with floats may be able to help you out.

The leader length should be short enough so that you can cast comfortably,  and long enough so that the float isn't too close to the fly.  A couple of feet should suffice.

Zaphod

• Amateur hook rinser
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2004, 09:24:58 PM »

T,

So to make sure I understand, coming from the rod tip is your main line, and your float is on the main line, then a swivel, then a leader, then the fly?

This is probably an incredibly stupid question, but I just want to make sure I understand because I'd like to try this out.

- Zaph

TtotheE

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2004, 10:04:44 PM »

Zaphod, you have a PM  ;)