Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano vs. Abu  (Read 24069 times)

pinkwool

Re:Shimano vs. Abu
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 12:08:43 PM »

norm_2, I used the BG last tuesday and it was not casting far, so I removed all four sliding breaks and released all the tension, making it a free spool cast. As you know with a free spool casts your thumb should do a fine job to prevent bird-nesting. I was outcasting my friend with Shimano, but he was the one who caught all the fish ;D including the Spring. Basically, I was sckunked with my new reel, oh well, next time (or should I say - year, as my wife released a moratorium ;D)

On my magnetic cast reel I do a free spool (no breaks) cassts and control it with the magnets DURING the cast (more magnetic break at the start of the cast, and releasing it in the second half of the cast). This way I can spool out almost 1/2 or more of the spool.

Your rod also plays a big way in the lengths of your casts. The fast action ones will cast farther than the medium ones.

fishin_chick

• Shut up and fish!
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 12:32:08 PM »

hmmm funny,
I went away for work for 2 days...I dont remember this thread originally being shimano vs. abu....

Hi ho Hi ho...It's off to Fish I go!

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2004, 12:34:44 PM »

Someone moved it from the pegleg report because it became off topic.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Fishbreath

• Fish grasshopper, fish.
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2004, 12:43:32 PM »

good info pinkwool.  i find that casting a 2oz betty a fair distance should not be a problem for most reels.  however, the 200 series calcutta shine in casting light weight a fair distance without the backlash.  my only problem with shimano is the price.  abu and shimano is like comparing ford and honda,  abu are cheap to buy and parts are inexpensive (there's alot around - you can pick up a $35 dollar reel on ebay and scrap it for parts if desparate.)  shimano like honda is expensive up front, and definately better performance, but parts are pretty pricey.
Give a man a fish and he'll have dinner today, teach a man to fish and there'll be 5000 people at your fishing hole tomorrow!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2004, 01:14:18 PM »

Magnetic controls are good for beginners learing to cast with level wind reel. It helps to control backlash. Once you master the technique, remove the magnets as suggested by Pinkwool. You can then control your line with your thumb. You can cast a lot further without the emcumbrance of the magnets.

MGD

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2004, 09:05:39 PM »

DennisK I have the Abu Morrum 6600cl.Holds just as much line as the Cal 400. Def not a bass reel. ;D ;D. Hey Rln did you get your Diawa yet?If you dont mind me asking where are you looking because i would like to check one out.          Thanx and Happy Fishing

otto

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2004, 10:03:16 PM »

if you want to cast realllllllyyyyyyyyy far, get a Alvey Sidecast reel. some pros in AUS can cast a 2oz weight something like 500 -700 meters  :o :o :o :o

www.alvey.com

EDIT: OOOOOPS sorry about that...wrong URL, those guys are a supplier of mine, here is the correct URL:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/alvey/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 10:05:13 PM by otto »

pinkwool

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2004, 10:40:27 PM »

I would not like those finger choppers being tested by Fraser chinooks. You are right otto, there are better reels for long casts - it all depends how much you are willing to fork out for them.

otto

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2004, 10:47:08 PM »

Alvey....starts at 99 buck AUS (and our dollar is matched right now, and no duty...)

just my two cents..

;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2004, 12:09:29 AM »

hey otto, are you sure about that distance?  you realize that 700 meters is over 2000 ft.   how big are these reels, and what's their line capacity? ???

otto

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2004, 03:14:34 AM »

check thje wedsitre i posted earlrier......thety reels are aboutr 4" to over 6" in dioameter......escuze the typing...not feeling to hot right noow. m..........

iu do know that hter world roecorsd is held by an AUSiies dude. mabye ,oook under "surf cating, world recordss.)
not feeeling well... going to ER. with a buddy..... see tou in the morning.

otto

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2004, 03:18:18 AM »

Um...Jimmy here, sorry about that last post people....my buddy Otto is running one heck of a fever. I am taking him to the hospital right now. Sorry again for the previous post.  :-\

otto

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2004, 02:28:02 PM »

my bad...been feeling unwell (infection from cut...turned into fever, poor vision the works)...

i meant to say 600 - 700 FEET not metres, thks for the correctiin fish4life!!!

VGH ER SUX!!!! got put inot a bed next to a crackhead with a cesspool of infection on his chest. had to listen to his screams all nite.  >:(

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2004, 04:27:28 PM »

DennisK I have the Abu Morrum 6600cl.Holds just as much line as the Cal 400. Def not a bass reel. ;D ;D. Hey Rln did you get your Diawa yet?If you dont mind me asking where are you looking because i would like to check one out.          Thanx and Happy Fishing
I have owned the said Daiwa for more than a year now, when I recomend it, it's due the Atnarko chinook, thompson steelhead and other fish it has caught. I do know they are hard to find in tackle stores on the lower mainland. Fred's In chillawack may have one. I do know Berry's had one, but they sold it a couple of weeks ago.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2004, 08:52:44 AM »

m
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:30:21 AM by dennisK »