Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would this rod qualify as an amateur sturgeon rod?  (Read 2986 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Would this rod qualify as an amateur sturgeon rod?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 07:15:25 PM »

thank you Clarki for your offer and generosity. Gord, my question was just a question of if this rod is worth keeping for my goal of fishing for small sturgeon. It is short, and too stiff for salmon or steelhead and I don't know what else to do with it and I had that idea and wanted an opinion from people who know more than me. Again not sure if my point got across but I probably wouldn't even try for a year or two in the future.. Just too busy with school and other things, also don't have 400$ to drop on a sturgeon setup I might use a handful of times, as I am a young student. Does that not seem reasonable to you? Seems like with your logic I shouldn't even fish without simms waders or 300$ polarized shades. (OFC I'm exaggerating, and I understand your worry of me catching a 200 lb sturgeon)
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 09:34:26 AM »

Holy harsh Gordo. Just a young dude seeking some advice. I hope you’ve reread your posts and thought “wow I may have been a bit of a tool there”

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2023, 09:49:10 AM »

Darko the shore setup I used for years was a ten foot ugly stick, medium heavy, rated to only 30 lb test. Penn 321 reel. 60 lb braid. Not an overly expensive set up and never had any issues landing a fish with the biggest being a 7 footer years ago at the mouth of the coquihalla.

redside1

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 10:15:05 AM »

looking for a budget priced shore fishing rod, check out the Daiwa Beefstik series of rods. Heavy action 10', 11' & 12' spin rods available for reasonable prices.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »

Holy harsh Gordo. Just a young dude seeking some advice. I hope you’ve reread your posts and thought “wow I may have been a bit of a tool there”

nailed it!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 05:58:04 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2023, 02:45:17 PM »

thank you iblly and redside for sharing! I appreciate it
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2023, 06:12:47 PM »

You’re welcome. Happy to pass along some knowledge, might be limited knowledge but happy to pass it along.