Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would this rod qualify as an amateur sturgeon rod?  (Read 2986 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Would this rod qualify as an amateur sturgeon rod?
« on: February 18, 2023, 08:34:22 PM »

I have this quantum blue runner rod that is 7 ft, line wt 15-40, lure wt 1/2-4 oz its a pretty stiff rod probably for ocean fishing. I was wondering if you guys think it would suitable for amateur sturgeon fishing when I start doing that. Was thinking around foreshore park area or surrey dock. Lmk what ou guys think.. Would just be fishing from shore, nothing too crazy
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

4x4

Re: Would this rod qualify as an amateur sturgeon rod?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 11:34:04 AM »

If it's the rod I'm thinking it is it's a hard no. 2 pce and cheap?

I fish Sturgeon a lot from a boat and I've seen way to many shore fishers clueless about the equipment they are using.
Make sure you have a reel that can handle these fish and make sure you have enough line with the proper pound test (braid is best). I think the guidelines state 130# minimum. Most use 130# - 150#. I use 150# and 180# - 200# leader. A heavier leader aids in not cutting the fish if it rolls in the line... The last thing we need is a Sturgeon dragging a hundred yards of line because the fisher was not prepared properly.

Sturgeon are very powerful fish and when fishing for them use the right equipment to ensure you can land and release them as quickly and safely as possible. There are guidelines put out to educate anglers about about Sturgeon and fishing for them.

And please never ever put you hands in their gills. It gives them a bacteria that kills them just like Salmon and other fish.

https://www.fraserriversturgeon.com/blog/best-practices-when-catching-a-sturgeon

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/ws_guidelines.pdf
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 04:23:01 PM by 4x4 »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 05:27:10 PM »

If it's the rod I'm thinking it is it's a hard no. 2 pce and cheap?

I fish Sturgeon a lot from a boat and I've seen way to many shore fishers clueless about the equipment they are using.
Make sure you have a reel that can handle these fish and make sure you have enough line with the proper pound test (braid is best). I think the guidelines state 130# minimum. Most use 130# - 150#. I use 150# and 180# - 200# leader. A heavier leader aids in not cutting the fish if it rolls in the line... The last thing we need is a Sturgeon dragging a hundred yards of line because the fisher was not prepared properly.

Sturgeon are very powerful fish and when fishing for them use the right equipment to ensure you can land and release them as quickly and safely as possible. There are guidelines put out to educate anglers about about Sturgeon and fishing for them.

And please never ever put you hands in their gills. It gives them a bacteria that kills them just like Salmon and other fish.

https://www.fraserriversturgeon.com/blog/best-practices-when-catching-a-sturgeon

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/ws_guidelines.pdf

thank you for sharing 4x4, yes it is a two piece, I know that the reel and line would need to be of high caliber, I was wondering if this rod would work for catching small sturgeon. How important is the rod in the setup? Would this stiff stick make do or should I just get rid of it. Not really much other use for it that I could think of

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 05:30:24 PM »

Great post 4X4.

Look at the Daiwa Proteus, Okuma PCH both Heavy sizes.  Anything similar would be ok too.

Always use circle hooks, I use 6/0 to 9/0.  You''ll up your landing ratio and also will not harm the fish.

Old Blue

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 05:32:05 PM »

thank you for sharing 4x4, yes it is a two piece, I know that the reel and line would need to be of high caliber, I was wondering if this rod would work for catching small sturgeon. How important is the rod in the setup? Would this stiff stick make do or should I just get rid of it. Not really much other use for it that I could think of

You can't exactly target "smaller fish", I've caught 2 footers and 6 1/2 footers in back to back casts from shore before

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 07:08:28 PM »

I have this quantum blue runner rod that is 7 ft, line wt 15-40, lure wt 1/2-4 oz its a pretty stiff rod probably for ocean fishing. I was wondering if you guys think it would suitable for amateur sturgeon fishing when I start doing that. Was thinking around foreshore park area or surrey dock. Lmk what ou guys think.. Would just be fishing from shore, nothing too crazy

No problem. The chances you hooking into moby dick is 4.7%. The remainder 95.3% you will be hooking into smaller sturgeon. And if you do end up hooking into big white you will have a story to tell your grandkids.

Onward.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 08:05:46 PM »

No problem. The chances you hooking into moby dick is 4.7%. The remainder 95.3% you will be hooking into smaller sturgeon. And if you do end up hooking into big white you will have a story to tell your grandkids.

Onward.
haha you are the best  ;D

4x4

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 12:03:45 PM »

You're welcome Darko,

Like Old Blue said, you can't exactly target smaller fish from shore. You never know what size you get until it's hooked. The largest fish I've hooked was 25 yards from shore (in my boat) in an area where we know big fish hang out. A proper rod is very important and you will soon realize that when you get a big fish on.

GordJ

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 07:40:30 AM »

Aren’t you the person that posted about leaving a full spool of braid in the water? And now you want to cheap out on gear for the largest freshwater fish in the world?

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 08:50:22 AM »

Aren’t you the person that posted about leaving a full spool of braid in the water? And now you want to cheap out on gear for the largest freshwater fish in the world?
yea I posted about a mistake I made that I learned from. You got something nice to say? If you read my post and thought a little bit, you would not have made that comment.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:02:15 AM by Darko »

GordJ

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 11:16:00 AM »

yea I posted about a mistake I made that I learned from. You got something nice to say? If you read my post and thought a little bit, you would not have made that comment.
You’re posting about using light tackle on big fish. Apparently you never learned anything after letting loose a bunch of “forever” braid the last time. I read your post but that doesn’t mean that you learned anything. Why would you try to fish for sturgeon with non sturgeon gear? You’re not smarter than everybody else so get the appropriate gear and quit trying to cheap out. There’s enough garbage in the river now.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 03:43:27 PM »

Gord, I hope we can cut a teenager who is passionate about fishing a bit of slack.

Darko, I would expect that the halibut rod in this post http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=44570.0 would be adequate for sturgeon. If you want it (for free), it’s yours.

Cheers.

Phronesis

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 04:04:24 PM »

You’re posting about using light tackle on big fish. Apparently you never learned anything after letting loose a bunch of “forever” braid the last time. I read your post but that doesn’t mean that you learned anything. Why would you try to fish for sturgeon with non sturgeon gear? You’re not smarter than everybody else so get the appropriate gear and quit trying to cheap out. There’s enough garbage in the river now.

He asked a question, you could answer it whether that rod would work or no - its as simple as that. Why assume that he wants to cheap out etc.......he could've tried it without asking the question here

GordJ

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 04:32:40 PM »

He wants to use a rod rated for 10-40 lb line and 4 oz lures  to fish for fish that need 60-90 lbs test and up to 22 oz weights. What part of that is ethical or reasonable? He ignored the first post and carries on trying to justify his theory and he has already left enough line in the water. I understand that he is an eager young fisher but someone has to be the one to say no and he doesn't seem to understand subtlety. If you want to fish ethically you have to have the right gear. Good intentions don't do it.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 05:12:38 PM »

Very nice of you clarki.
I hope the op jumps at this offer.
Everyone should try fishing for Sturgeon at least a few times.