Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River trail making  (Read 1971 times)

roeman

Chehalis River trail making
« on: February 18, 2023, 05:02:25 PM »

Parked at the bridge and went for a walk with the dog and the rod. Did not even put the rod together, water was very low.  There is a new trail being built from the campground following the river, talked with a few people and apparently the plan is to build the trail down to the mouth where the Chehalis meets the Harrison.. They also mentioned the Chehalis FN have taken control of both sides of the river now.  So far its about 25-30 minute walk and ends but signs of it going further.  Sure not the same walk as a year ago.  All fresh gravel layed down 8-10 wide.  Might just as well walk down the sidewalk in Vancouver.  Sure takes away from the way it use to be.  Cant wait to go when the trail is done and see all the Tim Horton cups thrown into the bush, empty beer cans and water bottles pushed onto a stick and left like people think they are doing a good thing by not throwing it into the bush.  And the best thing to find when walking in the bush is poop bags left on the side of the trail with a present inside the bag...    Dont understand the need to make every little piece of wilderness in the lower mainland accessible to everyone.  Its ok to leave some areas alone.  Very disappointing...
Are you fishin or catchin

Phronesis

Re: Chehalis River trail making
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 06:36:16 PM »

Agree, it shouldve been left alone, now all that happens in vedder might happen to chehalis....not going to lie, i might check that out myself, previously i never went deep into the woods

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 07:04:59 PM »

there was a trail built some years back (maybe 10) but the river being what is...

From what I understand the Chehalis Band supports the and is participating in construction of the trail.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 07:43:16 PM »

"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot"

This is the Chehalis destiny.....with The Vedder being a classic example....from semi-wilderness only a couple decades ago to rivalling the metropolitan ambiance  of a Stanley's Park all in a few short years  or should  that read, the ambience of Hastings street  :-\

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 09:16:07 PM »

90% of the people on the Vedder in October won't walk more than 100 feet from their car. The Chehalis has a fraction of the steelhead run.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 06:21:43 PM »

The chehalis sucks anyways

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 07:36:38 AM »

Sure blew out the campground with something like 50 more sites plowing down all that forest . There were nice small trails to walk the dog and get a bit lost sometimes depending how many wobbly pops  ;) . Back in the day that campground would blow out at least once a year . Coho and Chum lying all over the place . As for the trail , I'm not a big fan of that . All the good memories and snapshots from the day are gone forever . Had they somehow fixed the curve way back when , the fishing could have maybe been still ok .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."