Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 30+lb Steely on the Ved? Thurs.Mar.9  (Read 4212 times)

mojo7

30+lb Steely on the Ved? Thurs.Mar.9
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »

I was fishing a poular hole on the lower Ved when the guy beside me hooks into a BIG steelie.The only problem was it really wasn't fighting fight like a steely.It was staying deep and not jumping or rolliing like steelies do.He  was using 10lb leader so he couldn't horse it at all.It took at least 25min. to get it to water shallow enough to get a look to see if it was wild or not.Because the water was colored up a bit it was tough to make a confirmation.The only thing we coulkd see was it was HUGE.I strained to look and saw its back was alot darker than most steelies,the spotting was a different pattern  and the tail fin was forked!?!?Holy %*&# its a Spring!The guys in the crowd that gathered to watch sniggered at the suggestion of a Spring but I swear it looked like a Spring.Well 10min. later we finally got it to shore for a confirmation and a quick hero shot and back to the river.It was 30-35lbs easily.A scary endpoint was when I went to release it the guy who caught it started freaking.He wanted to keep it!?!?Fortunately I was there to let him know about the C/R rule for Springs right now.Hopefully that bruiser will go onto make lots more of those for the future.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 30+lb Steely on the Ved? Thurs.Mar.9
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »

Well done Mojo. Too bad people don't take some time to identify the different species before they go fishing.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:12:13 PM »

Wasn't a 30 lb Steely..it was a Spring..and I'm pretty sure of that.

Time to get out fishing in the chuck!
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »

Anyone get a picture? If you're out there...POST IT!!!!
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Ribwart

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 05:34:03 PM »

I'm pretty sure he established it was a spring, and not a steely...although that would be sweet!!! Anyone have any idea what the largest recorded steelie is in the vedder???? I know we get a few around 20 lbs each year, but there must be an official record??? My biggest from the vedder has only been about 15 lbs...

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 06:07:46 PM »

From what i hear, last year i was fishing the vedder and talking to one other retired angler i see quite a bit and he recalls it being 28 lbs, it was takin around the crossing bridge. unless this guy was making stuff up or somthing but i can honestly see the record being around 28lbs, my buddy got one 3 weeks ago that was over 20, big wild buck... but i have no real documents to proove the record setting fish, so it could just be another one of them fish tales...... if anyone has documented proof of the record though it would b greatly appreciated.....!!!! TigHt LiNe's
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »

yeah most likely spring. Theres a few in there but really rare. thx for the report
weeeeeeeeeow!

Toprod

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 08:42:29 PM »

I landed and released a chrome spring for a guy at Peach Road last year in early April; it was about 20 lbs. He caught it on a pink worm, on what was supposed to be his last cast of the day.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 08:56:40 PM »

I landed and released a chrome spring for a guy at Peach Road last year in early April; it was about 20 lbs. He caught it on a pink worm, on what was supposed to be his last cast of the day.

Interestingly enough..wasn't there a guided 60 lber caught in the Fraser last year in early April? Also there was a 44 lb Spring taken locally in the chuck the previous year I think...April I think it was...that's a pretty big fish for local waters this early but in the Northern Latitudes..fish like that lurk frequently. In the spring, years ago, they used to have commercial openings at this time of year, er..in April and they would find more than few knee knockers.... Could it be the fish swam into the Vedder by mistake but is really an Upper Fraser tributary fish?

Ribwart

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »

I can believe 28 lbs....and even better, I think with the bumper year this year and all those big bucks around, I think when they return there are going to be some hefty fish to be had....can someone refresh my memory? If a steelie returns this year goes back out, it'll likely be back in 3 yrs right? Some come back the next year, some two years after, but most in 3 yr cycles right? anyone?
Thx,
rib :)

goblin59

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 10:46:27 PM »

Apparently (I heard this last year) there is a very very small run of early springs that start to come into the Vedder around now. They are non-retention only obviously, but last year was the first time I had ever heard of them being in the river this time of year.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 11:05:49 PM »

If a steelie returns this year goes back out, it'll likely be back in 3 yrs right? Some come back the next year, some two years after, but most in 3 yr cycles right? anyone?
Thx,
rib :)

I recall someone once told me that they come back in a year or two, not 3 years.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 07:16:39 AM »

My dad thought he had the biggest steelie of his life on the line last February, but realized it was a spring when it got closer to the beach. I think they are stray fish from other systems. Here's a pic    ;D 

Ribwart

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 09:36:50 AM »

Now that's about as chrome as I've seen for a spring in the vedder ever!!!! Nice fish, nice fish indeed!

fishfinder

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »

Man, that is a chromer Chinook!!!