Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutting fish  (Read 1447 times)

jacklam999

Cutting fish
« on: October 22, 2022, 01:57:58 PM »

Base on my understanding. It seems to be legal to cut and clean the fish after I catch the fish at the veddar river Is that correct?

Fishers are reminded that they may not retain or transport more than their individual Possession Limit for any species, nor more than any aggregate limit.

The following requirements apply until a fish is prepared for immediate consumption, or the fisher arrives at home, or the fisher delivers their fish to a registered processing service.

If you clean or package your fish, note that regulations require that the species, number, and size of the fish can be readily determined to make sure your catch complies with Daily and Possession Limits, including size and mark specific regulations. For all salmon species, never remove the skin.

If filleted, one complete/intact fillet from one side of the fish including the pectoral fin and the tail fin must be retained. In addition, for Chinook and Coho, the adipose fin or the healed scar showing the hatchery mark must be retained on the same fillet. (See diagram under General Reminders tab.)

When packaging your salmon catch, heads may be removed per the following requirements:

For Chinook and Coho, overall length size limits are applied according to size limits shown in the Sport Fishing Guide for the area and subarea where they are retained; equivalent head-off size limits are as shown in the Conditions of Licence.For Pink, Chum and Sockeye, the head and tail must remain attached, unless the length with the head off is equal to or greater than the minimum legal size of that species for the waters in which it was caught.See the diagram under General Reminders tab for guidelines on measuring head-on and head-off lengths

For all salmon species:

Never remove the skinAlways leave the tail attached so species can be determined.if filleted, one complete/intact fillet from one side of the fish retaining the pectoral fin and the tail fin must be retained.

For Chinook and Coho, additionally:

the adipose fin or the healed scar showing the hatchery mark must be retained

If necessary the other fillet can be cut into two pieces. All the fillets should be placed side by side in one bag making it obvious that they represent one fish, and the bag must be clearly labelled with:

the number and species of salmon - e.g., "one Chinook"the number of fillets – e.g. "three fillets"the angler's name and fishing licence number”

« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 02:03:24 PM by jacklam999 »

coastangler

Re: Cutting fish
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 02:09:07 PM »

I always though that you couldn't do this and you had to take the fish home (gutted and clean of course) as-is, but I think I found the source if your info - very interesting  https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html

As a side note, I know is common to clean/gut the fish in the stream before taking it home to preserve the meat quality and can also be seen as a way to give some nutrients or food back to nature, but I never found this written anywhere. Does anyone know if doing this is "legal"?
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 03:11:47 PM »

I always though that you couldn't do this and you had to take the fish home (gutted and clean of course) as-is, but I think I found the source if your info - very interesting  https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/salmon-saumon-eng.html

As a side note, I know is common to clean/gut the fish in the stream before taking it home to preserve the meat quality and can also be seen as a way to give some nutrients or food back to nature, but I never found this written anywhere. Does anyone know if doing this is "legal"?
yes it is, it is illegal to fillet them up on the river I believe because people could fillet an illegal fish and leave the carcass I guess, also to help identify if it is hatchery or not.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

SuperBobby

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 03:32:02 PM »

About 20 years ago, I was fishing at Wilson Rd and there was a whole multi family of Eastern Europeans. They weren't speaking any English. About 8AM. Probably about 30 people including children.
Anyways....they had a massive makeshift grill set up. About 2 feet by 4 feet in size metal grill over simmering coals. The men were catching and keeping everything....nasty humpies, blacker then black white springs....chum.....whitefish....anything that ended up on the hook. Immediately the caught fish would go to the wives where they were cleaning and cooking every fish caught. There must have been half a dozen kids already scarfing down fish while the men were still fishing. At one point there was probably 40 fillets on the makeshift grill. The women had brought seasoning spices, sauce, paper plates, forks, knives, you name it.....
Never seen anything like it since.......

roeman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 03:41:46 PM »

yes it is, it is illegal to fillet them up on the river
No it is not.  I do it all the time.  Been checked a couple of times and no problems.  Leave the tail attached to both sides and make sure you cut so it can be determined it is a hatchery fish if required for that speicies.  Also have to be careful if there is a size restriction.
Are you fishin or catchin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 03:52:54 PM »

No it is not.  I do it all the time.  Been checked a couple of times and no problems.  Leave the tail attached to both sides and make sure you cut so it can be determined it is a hatchery fish if required for that speicies.  Also have to be careful if there is a size restriction.
well if i fillet my fish im not carrying the carcass around which you would need to legally.. makes more sense to me to wait till home.

roeman

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 04:07:07 PM »

LOL... Leave the tail attached to both sides of the fillet..  The rest goes in the river or on a log, depends where I am fishing.  I leave it on the logs in some places so I can move away a bit,  have lunch and watch the eagles come down to take the carcass.
Are you fishin or catchin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 04:12:16 PM »

LOL... Leave the tail attached to both sides of the fillet..  The rest goes in the river or on a log, depends where I am fishing.  I leave it on the logs in some places so I can move away a bit,  have lunch and watch the eagles come down to take the carcass.
or a bear  ;)