Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Summer steelhead Chehalis river  (Read 4135 times)

Roderick

Re: Summer steelhead Chehalis river
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought summers and winters were genetically distinct.  If they spawned at the same time and place they wouldn't be, they would be just one big run. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Morty

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 06:51:38 PM »

I recall reading a report several years ago where one of the hatcheries (possibly Chilliwack) had noticed that the steelhead were pre-disposed to spawning at the same time.

The observation came about from the catching/bagging of all their brood stock over a couple of weeks and the offspring returning at that same time on the calendar.  Therefore the hatchery began experimenting with catching spawners throughout the winter to learn if the offspring returned over the whole season.
(any resources on that Ralph?)
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Roderick

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 07:31:25 PM »

I always wondered why the Chilliwack doesn't have summers?
You shoulda been here yesterday.

SuperBobby

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 09:02:18 PM »

Not it's own unique run, but I've caught a few Coq stragglers over the years in the Chilliwack.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 09:19:22 PM »

Summer Steelhead seem to only occur where it is advantageous to return early in the season instead of in the winter. Generally, this is in places where the ideal spawning/rearing habitat is above a barrier that is only passable in spring freshet. The same is true of spring chinook - they generally travel further upstream than any other salmon, and they need the spring freshet to get there. Once there, they can chill (literally and figuratively) in the high mountain water until they are ready to spawn. The advantage for their offspring is that they are far upstream of the competition, and the water is cool year 'round (at least it used to be!). I recently read a study of the different run timings in the Skagit river for Chinook - the later they return, the further downriver they spawn. And I think Dave has said similar things about Vedder winter steelhead - the early returning fish and the ones that spawn the furthest upriver. If there were any natural summer run fish in the Chilliwack, I would imagine they would spawn in the upper Chilliwack River (above the lake) way upstream where almost no other fish venture. And if there are any native spring chinook left, I'd like to think that is where they are and that's why nobody ever sees them.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 10:22:33 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought summers and winters were genetically distinct.  If they spawned at the same time and place they wouldn't be, they would be just one big run.

well they are not a separate species or sub-species. Best i know they are separated mostly by geographic factors - falls, cascades and distance. The fishways at Stamp Falls has allowed previously separated races of summer & winter run co-mingle & from what I understand it hasn't been good for the summer runs.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 10:26:05 AM »

Short rivers on the Island such as the Cowichan, Nanaimo & Marble have late spring/ earlu summer chinook. They hold in the lakes and then at least for the Cowichan. spawn among the later returning fish. It sounds like a non-dominant genetic trait like red hair or left handedness.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 10:29:46 AM »

Not it's own unique run, but I've caught a few Coq stragglers over the years in the Chilliwack.

Silverhope also has SRs and likely has as many if not more fish on average. The uper Chilliwack may have a similar 'smell' as the Silverhope and attract some strays. As many 10% of any salmonid run does not return to their natal stream but as potential colonizers. I think the average return to the 2 SR river near Hope together total about 200 to 400 per year so some will show up elsewhere.

SuperBobby

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 03:34:44 PM »

Silverhope also has SRs and likely has as many if not more fish on average. The uper Chilliwack may have a similar 'smell' as the Silverhope and attract some strays. As many 10% of any salmonid run does not return to their natal stream but as potential colonizers. I think the average return to the 2 SR river near Hope together total about 200 to 400 per year so some will show up elsewhere.

Definitely could be Silverhope fish, although I don't think that run is even 100 fish anymore.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 09:21:33 PM »

Short rivers on the Island such as the Cowichan,
The Cowichan river is 47 kilometres long.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 10:34:45 PM »

The Cowichan river is 47 kilometres long.

the Yukon River is 3,190 km.