Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nine year boy catches whopper 12lb trout  (Read 1782 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Nine year boy catches whopper 12lb trout
« on: October 15, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »

Nine year old Ashton Lus caught a 12lb trout from a small dock on Christina Lake near Grand Forks last August 16.

https://www.grandforksgazette.ca/community/they-grow-big-at-christina-lake/

quite the story considering the time of year and that these trout normally remain in the deep waters of the lake for most of the year.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
Re: Nine year boy catches whopper 12lb trout
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »

Nine year old Ashton Lus caught a 12lb trout from a small dock on Christina Lake near Grand Forks last August 16.

https://www.grandforksgazette.ca/community/they-grow-big-at-christina-lake/

quite the story considering the time of year and that these trout normally remain in the deep waters of the lake for most of the year.
absolute beauty, I dream of trout that big, From a dock too boy that is a fish to remember.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 12:36:27 PM »

Used to go to that lake often before it basically turned all turned private. Never caught anything over a pound.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 04:14:13 PM »

There was a 27lb rainbow pulled out of Christina Lake within the last 10 years. I have fished it once. My Sister and husband have lived in Grand Forks and now Christina lake for many years. While my brother in law doesn't fish much some years ago he asked me out in his boat one afternoon after Thanksgiving to see if I could figure out how to catch a rainbow. While I had never fished that lake I had a fair bit of experience on kootenay where my best fish was shy of 23lbs. So I put on a 3/4 ounce Croc and told him to troll at a good walking speed, let out perhaps 200 feet of line and in not quite 4 hours landed a 3 lb fish and lost one that looked to be about 7. I understand the locals fish with planer boards. It's mostly a spring and fall fishery though I understand the lake no longer freezes completely.

I haven't fished it since and prefer the local rivers which have some good dry fishing. Christina has the usual interior kokanee and rainbow population and has long produced trout over 10lbs. Both are still there in decent to good numbers. Smallmouth and walleye have worked there way into the lake via the Kettle River and Largemouth have been illegally stocked & caught up to 7lbs. There are now signs posted asking anglers to report any encounters with pike which are also working there way north from the US 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:43:20 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 07:24:47 PM »

There was a 27lb rainbow pulled out of Christina Lake within the last 10 years. I have fished it once. My Sister and husband have lived in Grand Forks and now Christina lake for many years. While my brother in law doesn't fish much some years ago he asked me out in his boat one afternoon after Thanksgiving to see if I could figure out how to catch a rainbow. While I had never fished that lake I had a fair bit of experience on kootenay where my best fish was shy of 23lbs. So I put on a 3/4 ounce Croc and told him to troll at a good walking speed, let out perhaps 200 feet of line and in not quite 4 hours landed a 3 lb fish and lost one that looked to be about 7. I understand the locals fish with planer boards. It's mostly a spring and fall fishery though I understand the lake no longer freezes completely.

I haven't fished it since and prefer the local rivers which have some good dry fishing. Christina had the usual interior kokanee and rainbow population and has long produced trout over 10lbs. Both are still there in decent to good numbers. Smallmouth and walleye have worked there way into the lake via the Kettle River and Largemouth have been illegally stocked & caught up to 7lbs. There are now signs posted asking anglers to report any encounters with pike which are also working there way north from the US

Ralph your knowledge is truly unmatched. Thanks for sharing.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »

Maybe I was to distracted by the topless girls cliff diving

Roderick

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2022, 08:42:02 PM »

Maybe I was to distracted by the topless girls cliff diving

LOL That happened to me once at the Cap except they weren't just topless. Just as they were getting dressed afterwards I got a fish and I think they were quite pleased that they hadn't ruined my fishing.  As if.   8)
You shoulda been here yesterday.