Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why no more updates?  (Read 7971 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
Why no more updates?
« on: August 08, 2007, 04:52:05 PM »

This question should be asked with the mods. Are there any more sockeye updates? The last update suggests that the next update should be Aug 6.

Also, are there more trout stocking updates or there are no more stocking? The last posted are in June.

MERC

• Old Timer
Re: Why no more updates?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 04:56:51 PM »

For sockeye, look it up at this link.  Remember, it's YOUR responsibility to know the regs.  Never rely on anybody else.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=search_results&lang=en&ID=recreational&Year=2007

As to trout stocks, I don't know.
President Club S. C. & P.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »

You guys are right about finding info yourself, but this site does provides these threads or links which people can get used to relying on.  ;)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15192.0

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 08:42:49 PM »

Maybe Fraser River sockeye updates should become a service provided for subscribers. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »

I resent your insinuation that subscribers are flossers ! ;D ;D

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:53:31 PM »

Probably the majority....  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »

I resent your insinuation that subscribers are flossers ! ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 06:31:53 PM »

So Chris is a closet flosser  ;D He's probably a die hard in the wool Canuck fan too ! ;D ;D That Make Belief hat is just a facade

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 07:41:43 PM »

Here is a small piece from the notice that came out today. I still don't know why they are so worried about the by catch from rec-fishermen when they allow netting at the same time.

Recreational fisheries for Fraser River sockeye in South Coast marine waters
and tidal portion of the Fraser are non-retention and there is no fishing for
sockeye in non-tidal waters of the Fraser River.

In the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River, the best information available to
the Department is that although there is a no fishing for sockeye restriction
in place, that there is considerable interaction with sockeye salmon in the
recreational fishery in these areas, particularly above the Aggasiz/Rosedale
Bridge.

The Department is meeting with the Sport Fish Advisory Committee for the Upper
Fraser Valley on Monday August 13th to discuss options to reduce interaction
with sockeye. 

Anglers fishing for chinook salmon are again asked to take every measure
possible to ensure that their fishing activities are not impacting sockeye
salmon.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 10:06:42 PM »

This is one of the reasons why their license sales are going down, because DFO is not interested to give their majority 'customers' (yes, we sporties) a break. They will bend over their backs to accomodate FN who does not pay DFO a cent and who take a large chunk of the fish. Yet for those of us who buy licenses, pay taxes and only take 2% of the fish, we  always get the rotten end of the deal in fishing opportunities.  Not a successful business model anywhere  in the real world. They may as well declare a closure to sport fishing on the Fraser for sporties, so people can just buy off their fish from FN and save some tiime and gas bills. Just don't complain when their license sales take a huge plunge.  :D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 10:59:36 PM »

Give me a break Chris    the catch rates were minimal and almost non existant on Sockeye until this last week, Ask Duncan(dfo observer) who was on many bars( scale mostly) and he could tell you that sox during that closure were not even around and barely touched, barely.  This is due ONLY too way lower than projected returns, and HOW can ANYONE from the sports fishing community continue to tell any others from the sports community to worry about a FEW sockeye being caught and released when native nets are killing the same  drastically low returns,  Better pick your arguemnet a lot better than that Chris as it now holds NO WATER at all
Ok if it was that bad I will delete it. ;D ;D Actually I donot want to get into this debate anymore as points have been made.

glog

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 11:07:59 PM »

well instead of admitting the mistakes, here lets get off our butts and force DFO to smarten up.
Its quit obvious whats happened with all the yelling screaming, wild exaggerations going on, and the special interest groups complaining etc etc.

That's what DFO's listening too instead of the real facts.

concerned about the interaction between sports fisherman and the sockeye what a joke, what about the 40+ nets confiscated now thats interaction.

We'll just see how good of a job they do at the meeting on monday.  Typical bureaucratic bungling, BS and double talk.  Even the natives can net the rest of us should be able to catch sockeye as well.

gman

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 03:33:52 PM »

From Gary point park in Steveston today I could see there were lots of boats out netting the lower fraser. They were every 100 yards or so on both side, with fairly short nets and small boats. I assume it was a native sockeye opening.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »

From Gary point park in Steveston today I could see there were lots of boats out netting the lower fraser. They were every 100 yards or so on both side, with fairly short nets and small boats. I assume it was a native sockeye opening.

That's the 24 hour sockeye opening given to the Musqueam and Tsawwassen First Nations until tomorrow noon.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 01:01:10 AM »

This is where the hypocricy of DFO lies. Conservation is the top mandate of DFO. The only justification to shut us sporties down is when the stock is threatened. As Cammer said, how then in the world they can open up the fishery to FN using potent drift nets on those fish they consider threatened. Do they have to harrass us sporties as if we are just prawns and don't count for anything  ??? >:(