Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are you what you catch??  (Read 8466 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Are you what you catch??
« on: February 02, 2007, 02:27:49 PM »

I had a good discussion while out fishing yesterday about fishing habits and how you feel on the river. We got shut out but I still felt like it was a very successful day on the water...Matter of fact, I had a great time..It wasn't about the fish we caught or didn't  but time well spent, with good company, doing something you love.
I've read on here and listened to guys who seem to be only about the numbers and I wonder where that comes from? I know in golf they used to tell you "You aren't what you shoot" and so I'm applying that to fishing....
I'm specifically talking steelhead here. I know in Salmon season allot of people are fishing for food so that can put a different bend on things.. With Steelheading, by their numbers alone your not going to get near the hookups in a season that you might honestly get in a good day salmon fishing. So what's the big push or weight you guys feel on whether you catch one everytime or at all for that matter? Why would you feel it's a competition? Or that you aren't somehow "worthy" unless you can show numbers?
I'm not writing this to sound like I'm preaching or being some smug a$$hole. I have only caught a half a steelhead this year :o and would really like to hook up a helluva lot more, but to me that would mean parking my pretty little butt like a fence post on the lower river and to honest....the lower river just doesn't do anything for me....and fishing like that even less....That's just me, probably why I love fly fishing so much too... ::)

I understand competition..I've spent my whole life doing it and have never settled for being Just OK or even just good at something...I want to be at the top...that said, fishing is my release, my escape from all that...I don't want to be a beek but I also don't want to be called Billy Joe and wear a nascar uniform on my bass boat...
So, what's it all about for the rest of you??? Any day fishing is a good day -or- I'd rather be dying of cancer then not catch a fish???
Probably why I enjoy being a member of the S.C.& P club!!!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 02:29:25 PM by Xgolfman »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Are you what you catch??
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »

I am what I catch, because I floss myself every morning.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 02:52:54 PM »

Its OK to not catch one buddy your having a great time meeting good fiends and enjoying life!!!

What more could you want?

The sport is called fishing not reeling in :)

Take it EZ

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »

Doesnt matter to me if I catch a fish or not. Now if you want to just talk steelhead I will. I have only been on the Vedder 3 times so far this year. If I cared so much about catching a steelhead that number would be more than three times that amount. Personally I just like going out with friends shooting the BS and fishing. If I wanted the numbers I would have been over to the island already this year if it meant so much to me. I like doing more types of fishing as fishing just for one species or doing the same type of fishing over and over is boring to me.

I noticed especially on this board that numbers are huge. So many people on here care too much about how much you catch. If someone posts a report with no fish he will get a few replies. If someone posts a report about catching a fish and especially if he has pics he will get a ton of replies. Personally I reply not based on the catch but on the story. If the story interests me I will make a reply. If it is a post where it sounds like every other one I will just read and move on.

Fishing should not be a competition unless its a derby. I played hockey,football and baseball starting from the age of 3 untill I was 18. It was very competitive and I had to be the best no matter what. When I came back to the sport of fishing in my twenties it was for some relaxation. It wasnt to be competitive. I guess some people that are competitive when it comes to fishing might not have had that competition growing up.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »

I just love being outdoor,catch or no catch it doesn't really matter to me,just want to go out and enjoy a day.Number doesnt really mean anything to me ;)

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 03:21:44 PM »

over the past few years i have fished with a few guys that are "all about the numbers" and that basically led me to fish solo for steelhead all last year. I fish to clear my head and enjoy myself.... don't get me wrong though, there is always a time and place for a little competition but for me... it's not while pursuing steelhead. Steelheading to me is all about braving what the winter throws at ya and putting to test the skills gathered from years of river fishing. Many guys seem to think that because you post pics or regular reports it's an ego thing... for some of us it isn't. If i go fishing with someone and they are all about the ego, they won't be fishing with me again.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 03:46:14 PM »

It's funny you brought that up alwaysfishin, I was thinking the same thing..I'm NOT a morning person but there is something really incredable about watching the sun come up over the vedder mountains...The heavy frost on the upper and the way the water looks, and thinking "how stupid is this" to out on days where is snowing or raining hard..and you just gotta laugh at yourself because you love it in some stupid way...

Bryon, maybe it's because we played sports so long that this is why we enjoy it more for not being a sport...though I gotta admit you in a nascar uniform on a boat would make you even more of a dead ringer for your look a like Elway... :D

Rodney were not talking about what underwear you wear here...Danes??? ::)

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 04:25:28 PM »

Some years I can go out 10 times and not touch anything!!! For me, its about having my 3-4 hours of peace with nature. If I catch a fish, fine. If not, I will try again another day.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 04:51:50 PM »

I like fishing weather i catch fish or not. While i'm standing on the rivers edge with my bait in the water i rarely speak. I concentrate on my float but still my mind wanders. Currently i only get to fish 3days a week max, so i often stand and reflect on the week past or whatevers on my mind while keeping an eye on the float. If i'm with a buddy i save the talking for the walk back to the car or while in the car. All my fishing partners know what they're doin', and rarely talk while fishing.

While i'm on the river i truely enjoy the time i have with myself. I have the time to think over every little thing that pops into my head, and diverge on any tangent i like. I can take as much time to think things through as i please.

However, after a few days of not catching or hooking fish i get frustrated.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »

I also grew up playing competitive sports and because of that do not enjoy competition on the river. Competion for me back then was everything and it consumed my life. I never regretted it though as I did compete on the national team, been all over the place, seen things that most people will not but because of it I now just want to do things for pure enjoyment and fishing has always given me that. That to me was my escape during the very short off season( usually only a month) or my one day off from training every tenth day. Even sitting back on a log and watching other people fish is relaxing especially if flyfishing. I have been teaching my kids that it does not matter how many you catch (if any) but do it for enjoyment and I hope they do that off the river as well.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 05:38:39 PM »

I dont get out much, so when i do i concentrate on fishing yet i still soak up the senery and the beuty of the river. Fish or no fish, a day out fishing is better than a day anywhere else.
Fish killer 101

Piranha

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »

I love being outdoors. I take a camera with me and as I hike and explore new areas I take pictures and enjoy the day. I bring food and when I'm hungry I sit on a rock, eat my lunch and enjoy the scenary and deeply breath in the fresh air. Ahhh so relaxing :)
If I don't catch anyhitng it's okay coz I still had fun.

Blue Heron

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »

I worked at a fishing lodge for two seasons. At the lodge people payed top dollar to fish there. Unfortunately most of the guests
were all about catching. Sometimes the lodge owner had to remind people that the lodge didn't control the fish and that there is
a difference between fishing and catching. It really made you sad to see people angry because they didn't catch or didn't catch
enough. The thing that made the guides really good there wasn't just there knowledge on how to catch the big one. The really
good guides could take people out and show them a really good time without any fish. I learned allot from that, enjoy all the
aspects of the sport and if you don't catch that day it still was fun to be there.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 06:26:01 PM »

I thought I was what I ate....not what I catch...unless I catch something from something I ate in which case whatever I ate, I caught therefore I am?   ??? ???  ;D ;D

Seriously though.  I guess when you think about it, the intent of fishing is to catch fish.  So, that tells me that catching a fish is important to this whole process.  But, as this is a process there are many facets to it and so many things that make up the total cumulative experience that we call fishing.  Many of you have mentioned most of them already and in fact the only one that was missed (as far as I'm concerned) is having a good cigar.  Not for everyone here, especially kids under 21, but one more element.  Or, for others it might be a can of beer (one can, not keg).  Pop a cold one, sit back and enjoy the scenery and make sure you take your can with you.   Whatever turns your crank.  But fishing is still a numbers game, like it or not.  We always want to know how many?  How much did it weigh?  How many hits did you have?  etc. etc.  Maybe that puts pressure on us to perform for others and for ourselves.  Just imagine this for a second.  Your buddy comes back from a fishing trip and the first thing you ask him/her, "How was the sunrise this morning?"  Or:  "Did you enjoy the sight of the ice forming on the tops of puddles, transluscent and shimmering as if behind the ice there lies another world?"   And if you never ask about how many and how much, maybe we can change the mindset of fisherfolk everywhere!  We could start a new revolution!  A world where fisherfolks don't post stats on numbers and weights of fish caught but instead of how many American warblers they managed to see during their time on the water! Or, we could just stick to how many fish did you catch today?  ;D
President Club S. C. & P.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »

I thought I was what I ate....not what I catch...unless I catch something from something I ate in which case whatever I ate, I caught therefore I am?   ??? ???  ;D ;D

Seriously though.  I guess when you think about it, the intent of fishing is to catch fish.  So, that tells me that catching a fish is important to this whole process.  But, as this is a process there are many facets to it and so many things that make up the total cumulative experience that we call fishing.  Many of you have mentioned most of them already and in fact the only one that was missed (as far as I'm concerned) is having a good cigar.  Not for everyone here, especially kids under 21, but one more element.  Or, for others it might be a can of beer (one can, not keg).  Pop a cold one, sit back and enjoy the scenery and make sure you take your can with you.   Whatever turns your crank.  But fishing is still a numbers game, like it or not.  We always want to know how many?  How much did it weigh?  How many hits did you have?  etc. etc.  Maybe that puts pressure on us to perform for others and for ourselves.  Just imagine this for a second.  Your buddy comes back from a fishing trip and the first thing you ask him/her, "How was the sunrise this morning?"  Or:  "Did you enjoy the sight of the ice forming on the tops of puddles, transluscent and shimmering as if behind the ice there lies another world?"   And if you never ask about how many and how much, maybe we can change the mindset of fisherfolk everywhere!  We could start a new revolution!  A world where fisherfolks don't post stats on numbers and weights of fish caught but instead of how many American warblers they managed to see during their time on the water! Or, we could just stick to how many fish did you catch today?  ;D

Did you just call me a warbler??? I was a little uneasy about how you were staring at me at times...but PLeassseeeeee.............just for that...no upman for you.. :-X