Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm ashamed .....I'm pinning again.... I need help .... I'm a gear Ho ...  (Read 6362 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish

Stop laughing, it's not that funny  :-\  I just can't stand it.... I'm a gear Ho!!! I find a Nirvana in the flow of flyfishing..... I can cast my curado/lamiglass across the broadest stream and land it in a hula hoop... I can fish anything from jigs to spoons to bait with it effortlessly.... I'm learning the "tap" dance of spoon fishing a river .... yeah yeah yeah... and I love center pins .. :-[  they are pure free floating ....

First off, I had problems with my old set up...it buggered up my wrist...I don't know if the fit wasn't right or if the Milner is just to narrow of a reel...but that's all mute. I've come across a couple pin reels that seem fatter and I'm not having that problem anymore....

I decided this time, no big buck reels and rods, just wanted something I could use and have fun with and not sweat scratching....I was looking at either the trophy royal or TFO 3106...both in the 200 range...I go into Reaction on Thursday..pretty set on the royal...I talked with the guys there about rods and they had a few for me to look at....So I walk in and he shows me the royal...and then he says...by the way, I got something here for you to check out...just came in this morning on a trade in....A Sage GSH 3113mb custom rod, original brown, looks un used...Well the price was to good to pass on.... The sage is in the arsenal... ::)

I got freaks Avon on it and then this weekend, while in a flyshop in my local neck of the woods...(They just don't know or use pins at all down here..) They have had an Islander steelheader in there over a year...no interest... I had wanted to get one off a guy on here but couldn't pull it...So I talk with the girl who is a good friend and fellow fly club member...We work out a stupid good deal/trade and I got the black Islander out of it....

I've heard a lot of debate on bushings versus bearings....I can tell you this, the Islander is baby butt smooth and I can fling it long!!! I'm going to look into some German bearings...( just because I'm an anal ba$tard that way )....but I'm pretty freakin happy with the performance AND it's NOT bugging my wrist at all....

The sage is a big stick, could probably land a sub on this mother so If I decide to stick with it for awhile....( with me, you just never know )....A lighter rod might have to come into play in the future...but for now... my arsenal is growing....

Hi, my name is Paul and I'm a gear Ho!!!

and p.s. it's Merc and Ricks damn fault!!!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 08:30:49 PM by Xgolfman »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

At least you are not in denial any more  ;D ;D . Is that not the first step to recovery  ;D ;D ;D .

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

MERC

• Old Timer

Only one cure.  Go fishing with gear!   ;D

And, in my defense, I can only say I also got him smoking cigars too, after he told me he had quit.  Blame my little friend, Don Tomas Rothschild for that one!
President Club S. C. & P.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost

Well if you get rid of that rod. Send me a email. and ill gladley take it of ur hands.

lucky

• Old Timer

I call dibs on the islander when he decides to move on to something else :D truth is Ive got a few centrepins now and my islander is by far the favorite, I love the placement of the clicker knob and it spins forever.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish

Only one cure.  Go fishing with gear!   ;D

And, in my defense, I can only say I also got him smoking cigars too, after he told me he had quit.  Blame my little friend, Don Tomas Rothschild for that one!

:D was your vest etc totally trashed after yesterday?? I was looking at mine today, mud and prickers everywhere!!! and it smells like stoogies too..my wife just shakes her head and walks away... ::)

p.s. I guess this means a stop at the duty free one morning huh??
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:04:54 PM by Xgolfman »

MERC

• Old Timer

I just threw my vest into the closet and haven't looked at it yet.  And it's good that you have an understanding wife because I suspect that you will be coming home with the smell of stale cigar smoke on a regular basis now.  Still, it's better than coming home with the smell of R--- ....oops! I almost forgot, this site is rated "G"!   :o
President Club S. C. & P.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish

I just threw my vest into the closet and haven't looked at it yet.  And it's good that you have an understanding wife because I suspect that you will be coming home with the smell of stale cigar smoke on a regular basis now.  Still, it's better than coming home with the smell of R--- ....oops! I almost forgot, this site is rated "G"!   :o

:D :D life is good!!! Damn I enjoy that!! ;)

younggun

• Old Timer

No way boys i get the whole setup sorry! ;D CAn i golfman? :-\
Fish killer 101

c-pin

"HI PAUL!"

My name is John, and I'm a gear ho, too.

You will love the Sage. I have the same rod, coupled with a lovely Milner Talisman. It is wider than the Kingfisher. The rod will handle Springs, Chums, and still be sensitive enough for Coho and Steelhead. Good on you ...... it's a West Coast classic.

By the Way ...... I have 2 Kingfishers, and 2 Talismans. I have another Talisman on order. Why? Because I can.

Someone stop the insanity ...... "Anyone seen my Mastercard?"
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: I'm ashamed .....I'm pinning again.... I need help .... I'm a gear Ho ...
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 09:56:42 PM »

"HI PAUL!"

My name is John, and I'm a gear ho, too.

You will love the Sage. I have the same rod, coupled with a lovely Milner Talisman. It is wider than the Kingfisher. The rod will handle Springs, Chums, and still be sensitive enough for Coho and Steelhead. Good on you ...... it's a West Coast classic.

By the Way ...... I have 2 Kingfishers, and 2 Talismans. I have another Talisman on order. Why? Because I can.

Someone stop the insanity ...... "Anyone seen my Mastercard?"
Hi john,you really got a good sense of humor :D.And i do enjoy milner's reels too ;)

J.G.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 10:41:07 PM »

Nothing wrong with being a gear ho. The way I look at it, someone is going to inherit a real nice collection one day. And until then, I'm going to have a lot of fun........... ;D

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 06:44:03 AM »

Nothing wrong with being a gear ho. The way I look at it, someone is going to inherit a real nice collection one day. And until then, I'm going to have a lot of fun........... ;D

That's why I hang out with XGolfman !!  He is old and I figure I can get his gear soon !!! ;D
TR

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 08:33:57 AM »

first part of healing is admission next part is to go fishing  ;D

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 11:45:14 AM »

Xgolfman,

Man....how did I know this would happen!  I knew you'd revert back to the pin after drifting with a baitcaster.  I don't think that it's a reel issue when it comes to your wrist but maybe you should hold the rod :D ;D a different way or get a rod with a longer butt section.  You may want to forget the 3113 and go smaller/lighter like 3106L or if you can find one, a 2106.  Comfort is the main thing cause you'll be using a lot.  I just gave you a hard time cause you never gave it a chance.  I've heard stories where guys couldn't get the hang of it for months and months but now they wouldn't dare fish without it.  Islanders are nice reels, you can't go wrong with one.  The bushing Kingfisher you had before was a nice reel in that it will last longer and require less maintenance than a bearing style.  Stick with it a little longer and try to figure out a better way to use it.  The last setup you had was perfect in my opinion but you just didn't give it a chance.

TRick,

Is your rod done yet?  I wanna know how it turned out cause I saw the top section and it was looking great so far. 

I understand completely....I still think the reel seat was too thick and wasn't seating properly which caused the gap that I was having problems with...And the rod is one heavy mother, so I've found 7 hours on the flow with it and I'll start looking like T.R. on one side of my body...It sure casts nice though...
Would you pick the trophy royal or TFO as a light weight rod??? I'm not familar with any thing else?