Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 79366 times)

stsfisher

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #525 on: September 14, 2022, 05:31:48 PM »

The commercial fleet in Sandheads yesterday were equal to the amount of sporties, so sickening to see how much Salmon they will take
Without trying to target Sockeye, I still managed to land 2 beauty chrome socks then released, Many leapers everywhere.
Such a shame the saltwater fishers, get the shaft from DFO
DFO must have heard ya KH go get em!

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #526 on: September 15, 2022, 08:37:49 AM »

Looks like the lates have stopped holding and have entered the river, the best day for BB should be the last day its open.

https://www.psc.org/TestFish/DailyReports/14Sep22.PDF
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 08:43:51 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #527 on: September 16, 2022, 08:49:03 AM »

there are reports on FB that the CP and CN police have been ticketing angling crossing the Railroad tracks to access fishing locations. Fine is $600. Here is a story from a similar incident in Calgary:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgarians-question-600-trespassing-fine-for-walking-beside-edworthy-park-train-tracks-1.5892225

Locations where fines have been issued reported to include Laidlaw (Goldpan) and the Snaggy bar area west of Hope  on the #7.

For people like me who cross tracks to fish trout in the winter and early spring this may have longer term implications.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2022, 08:59:13 AM »

there are reports on FB that the CP and CN police have been ticketing angling crossing the Railroad tracks to access fishing locations. Fine is $600. Here is a story from a similar incident in Calgary:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgarians-question-600-trespassing-fine-for-walking-beside-edworthy-park-train-tracks-1.5892225

Locations where fines have been issued reported to include Laidlaw (Goldpan) and the Snaggy bar area west of Hope  on the #7.

For people like me who cross tracks to fish trout in the winter and early spring this may have longer term implications.

I recall a few years ago the tracks at mamquam were subject to enforcement like this; but there was such bad publicity the railway smartened up and just hired a security guard to stop people from crossing. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #529 on: September 16, 2022, 09:14:51 AM »

I’ve always thought that the Canadian gov’t at the time gave away our  national
soul to the devil. Strips of private land, thousands of kms long, along our most cherished rivers.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #530 on: September 16, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say.

I found a copy of the Conestoga farms ruling (circa 1990) where someone got charged with trespassing for fishing the Farm's stretch of the Alouette River. The farm was established by a federal land grant that provided riparian rights but preserved a right of way of fishing and trapping. Around the 1930s the Feds handed the land and the grant to the Province. The judge in the case ruled that since the Province didn't confirm the rights of way they became invalid on transfer. The trespass charge was upheld. It really struck me as a stupid ruling but it was never appealed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #531 on: September 16, 2022, 09:59:43 AM »

My advice do not pay the fine and have CP Rail try and enforce it. If CP rail, can afford to pay its CEO, an annual salary of $ 26.7 million dollars a year, then they can afford to put up no trespassing signs that are highly visible. Sounds like a disgusting money grab by a big multinational company.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #532 on: September 16, 2022, 10:07:04 AM »

My advice do not pay the fine and have CP Rail try and enforce it. If CP rail, can afford to pay its CEO, an annual salary of $ 26.7 million dollars a year, then they can afford to put up no trespassing signs that are highly visible. Sounds like a disgusting money grab by a big multinational company.

yes. Crown Counsel may decide not to pursue it in court. But if they do and a summons is issued on the ticket. Go to court and/or pay or else there could be a contempt of court charge which is a criminal offense, and could involve much higher fines and/or jail time.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #533 on: September 16, 2022, 10:36:16 AM »

What I was hinting at is was there adequate signage on the rail way tracks  right of way. If there are no signs,  then it is up to the company to post them and make them highly visible. Secondly, this fine is pretty prohibitive,  and far exceeds what one would get for a driving offense such as distracted driving.  Also don't want to play the race card, but does this ticket apply to everybody or are some groups excluded. Hmmmmm.....

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #534 on: September 16, 2022, 11:14:24 AM »

the rules and regulations that apply would be in the Federal Railway Safety Act and not the Provincial Trespass Act.  AFAIK the act simply states walking or crossing railway property including the right of way other than designated crossings is trespass. I think a person would need a lawyer to challenge a ticket in court. Transport Canada has recommended signage and fencing in areas where is crossing is frequent but overall railway trespass is very broad.

It's dangerous, the trains cannot stop and I'd never cross if I knew a train was nearby. I'd also never cross if a railway police car was visible. :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #536 on: September 16, 2022, 01:06:31 PM »

Good to see Mr Fraser touched on some of the issues in my letter namely they are able to draw on other resources including the Provincial CO service and the RCMP. Also good to see him confirm there are on going investigations and charges likely coming. In the last few previous years they did release info on seizure of illegal gear and charges.

Island Fisherman published a good article this month;What Happened to the 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Runs?

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/what-happened-to-the-2022-fraser-river-sockeye-runs/

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 03:52:13 PM by RalphH »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #537 on: September 16, 2022, 01:11:20 PM »

We'll see in the coming weeks and months the result of these investigations or whether it's just lip service.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #538 on: September 16, 2022, 05:25:53 PM »

Good to see Mr Fraser touched on some of the issues in my letter namely they are able to draw on other resources including the Provincial CO service and the RCMP. Also good to see him confirm there are on going investigations and charges likely coming. In the last few previous years they did release info on seizure of illegal gear and charges.

Island Fisherman published a good article this month;What Happened to the 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Runs?

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/what-happened-to-the-2022-fraser-river-sockeye-runs/

My vote is still let them pass. I fished where there was a proper TAC and there was no chance of IFS or IFC. If anything they should have opened it for a week in July or early Aug. The roe fishery also needs to be seriously addressed. Hopefully the closure of Gill to vehicles is a step in that direction.
Fishing isn't catching

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #539 on: September 16, 2022, 06:17:30 PM »

Chinook salmon fishing has opened in the non-tidal Fraser River.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=265930&ID=all