Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 79366 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2022, 06:00:33 AM »

may open for rec fishing for a 10 day opening, notice may come out tomorrow for a Friday/saturday opening

for sockeye, down stream of hope

wouldn't it be sort of late for that. I'm not doubting they may open but also it may not likely be worth the effort. I recall in the previous years after the first week of sept the sockeye fishing really slowed down to nil.

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2022, 06:51:25 AM »

Just in time for the Interior Steelhead to start showing up. I sincerely hope this opening is met with an increased DFO presence.

I ve heard stories of squaretails getting a rock shampoo during late sockeye openings...  :'(
Fishing isn't catching

redside1

« Reply #347 on: September 08, 2022, 07:16:02 AM »

5,000 fish TAC for the Steveston to Mission stretch and a 15,000 fish TAC for Mission to Hope.

Zero TAC available for the saltwater where they bite because in DFO's words, "The river mouth is not a terminal fishery but in river is". +

Another beauty about DFO and Fraser salmon management, Chinook sports fishing will remain closed in the Fraser upstream of Richmond because of concerns for Harrison white's but Sport Fishing is allowed to kill 2 a day every day at the mouth since it opened September 1.
Sockeye remain closed at the mouth while allowing Seiners in to fish their 175,000 fish TAC but remains closed to sports fishing.
Steveston to Mission will open to retention of 4 a day but there is basically zero caught there because the only way to catch sockeye consistently in this stretch of river is by intentionally snagging (not flossing style but cast and yard hard on the line style) so this TAC is really a waste but has great optics for DFO to claim they opened it up.
the 5,000 fish TAC really shold have been moved to the saltwater to allow a fishery there where the fish actually bite the hook.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #348 on: September 08, 2022, 08:28:54 AM »

wouldn't it be sort of late for that. I'm not doubting they may open but also it may not likely be worth the effort. I recall in the previous years after the first week of sept the sockeye fishing really slowed down to nil.

I used to not bother going if the whonnack test catch was below 100.

Dubs604

« Reply #349 on: September 08, 2022, 09:03:59 AM »

I used to not bother going if the whonnack test catch was below 100.

I chatted with my dad about this. He recalls catching socks in the salt into late September. Not as many as peak season, but some.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #350 on: September 08, 2022, 09:26:21 AM »

I chatted with my dad about this. He recalls catching socks in the salt into late September. Not as many as peak season, but some.

I’m talking about in river above mission, for good numbers for bottom bouncing

In 2018 in the salt I was catching sockeye untill the end of September

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #351 on: September 08, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »

I have a diary entry for Sept 13, 2010:

"limited on 2 large bucks"

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #352 on: September 08, 2022, 10:22:01 AM »

I think in 2018 we didn't try past Labour day, because it had slowed down and we weren't getting limits. I suspect fishing will be better up at Hope, but with the price of gas, and the crowds, I'm not interested in driving that far for blushed up late sockeye. I suspect my dad and I will probably fish by Chilliwack as I suspect it will be the last trip for our boat before we sell it.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #353 on: September 08, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »

I just looked at my journal for 2010 and it notes I caught good numbers of sockeye on Sept 16th and 17th just downstream of Hope. That was of course the record year.

In 2014 I did the same on Sept 3rd and 5th and had the bar pretty much to myself. As I remember the river closed after the 17th though I didn't return. In 2018 it closed on the 5th.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #354 on: September 08, 2022, 11:21:41 AM »

September can be great when the lates stop holding off the mouth and hit the river, but no signs the lates  have moved off to mouth yet in any kind of numbers

just looking at some graphs it looks like late run on dominate year tends to peak in river around sept 15-25th
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 11:44:55 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #355 on: September 08, 2022, 11:49:24 AM »

I read in some of the fisheries notices that the IFS closures will roll into place in some waters (West Coast of Vanilse Areas 123 to 125) over the next 5 days. The window for opening will close fairly quick. Usually the Inter Coho closures come into place within the next 7 days or so.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #356 on: September 08, 2022, 11:56:11 AM »

Steelhead closure starts sept 19 in river hence the 10 day opening starting friday

The coho closure started (Fraser River - Below Mission September 6 to October 7)

The steelhead closure starts (Mouth to Port Mann Bridge 19-Sep 30-Oct)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 12:03:29 PM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #357 on: September 08, 2022, 12:43:27 PM »

Isn't the IFC/IFS closure below Mission a complete closure on salmon or has that changed? For the Fraser from the mouth to Mission it's still closed to all salmon. Trout fishing in the Fraser is closed from Sept 1 to Nov 15th from the Mission CPR bridge upstream.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #358 on: September 08, 2022, 12:49:11 PM »

So just like last few years Coho opens on the Fraser in November which is well past the peak.

stsfisher

« Reply #359 on: September 08, 2022, 12:52:11 PM »

Steelhead closure starts sept 19 in river hence the 10 day opening starting friday

The coho closure started (Fraser River - Below Mission September 6 to October 7)

The steelhead closure starts (Mouth to Port Mann Bridge 19-Sep 30-Oct)

Just so you don't confuse anyone with this statement, NO notice has been given on an opening starting tomorrow.