Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?  (Read 85105 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: bottom bouncing whats the big deal?
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »

10 years from now itll be anyone catching fish is a flosser.

Ahhh BS, you only have to look at them fishing to tell what the hell their doing, it's not rocket science. Anybody that thinks those beaks around KW bridge and Tamahi that fish like that are actual sportsfishermen and not just their to slay their meat are either,

a} one of them
or
b} too new to know the difference

BTW, In no way do I mean everyone that fishes those places mentioned does this, just some do {every year like clockwork}.

banx

« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2013, 10:51:04 PM »

tamahi rapids should be closed to fishing period...ya I have seen that at KW bridge. one guy's float balanced perfectly in the water maybe a 2' leader... rips it once every 4 casts. guy right next to him........ leader longer than his rod and float laying horizontal on the water, ripping it three times a cast.

prefer using a slinky to bottom bounce as you don't snag the bottom much if at all,  and it's also a lot easier to feel the slowish steady pull of a fish swimming over your line.  the hits feel like a hit on a spoon.  using a pencil weight is far more difficult...... and a lot less sexy  ;)

I guess you can bastardize any technique and take the sport out of sportfishing fairly easily.....

deviating from the thread a tad, but has there ever been a bait ban during the salmon season here?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:37:59 AM by banx »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: August 18, 2013, 05:35:59 AM »

tamahi rapids should be closed to fishing period...ya I have seen that at KW bridge. one guy's float balanced perfectly in the water maybe a 2' leader... rips it once every 4 casts. guy right next to him........ leader longer than his rod and float laying horizontal on the water, ripping it three times a cast.

prefer using a slinky to bottom bounce as you don't snag the bottom much if at all,  and it's also a lot easier to feel the slowish steady pull of a fish swimming over your line.  the hits feel like a hit on a spoon.  using a pencil weight is far more difficult...... and a lot less sexy  ;)

I guess you can bastardize any technique and take the sport out of sportfishing fairly easily.....

deviating from the thread a tad, but has there ever been a bait ban during the salmon season here?
No bait ban on the Chilliwack Vedder, with that it would just favour those with the secret wool colour or is it green? ::)

trot

« Reply #198 on: August 18, 2013, 10:02:06 AM »

No bait ban on the Chilliwack Vedder, with that it would just favour those with the secret wool colour or is it green? ::)

Green and red Christmas tree patterns all the way! unless its October, then the black/orange is the hot combo ::)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2013, 11:42:41 AM »

how is that even possible?  :(
Haha, you tell me... The guy was basically dredging the bottom; ended up pulling up a barnacle encrusted rock... Not sure what he was trying to accomplish other than maybe snagging a fish. I'm remembering that he may have had a bare hook :/ :/

might be in everyones best interest, including the fish, if getting a fishing license turns into something similar to getting a PAL.  madatory course and test.
Would be nice but I think there are some issues with implementing that; restricts access to the resource, not cost effective, lack of interest from stakeholders, etc. Rod, and others, may be able to elaborate on this subject.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:45:39 AM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

trot

« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »

Even with a course, meat heads would still run wild. There are plenty of doorknobs out hunting and owning guns, also plenty with boats. I think it might help a bit, but not enough.

banx

« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »

well I guess i'm going to have to get out and take as many pics as possible.  just so my grandkids could believe my stories about the so called salmon...

obie1fish

« Reply #202 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »

"The Great BB Controversy". Toronto or Vancouver? Tastes Great/Less Filling....

***sigh...***

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #203 on: August 22, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

"The Great BB Controversy". Toronto or Vancouver? Tastes Great/Less Filling....

***sigh...***
Maple Leafs you mean its our year, talk about hyjacking a thread. ???

MoeJKU

« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »

X2 here. To agree with BFers is a waste of time. They have a 'mental prison' on a legal method to take fish from the Fraser that even CO don't consider a violation because they think fishing has to be by fish biting. We trap fish, spear them, net them. So if the Fraser fish has to be flossed to be effective, so be it. For the Fraser fishery, most fishermen enjoy it and they fish short floating on the lesser systems. That is quite a norm. There are only some newbies doing bb on the vedder causing all the hate.
There are more effective ways to catch fish than bottom bouncing. Bar rigging is one of them, and then you selectively catch fish you can retain. And when your BB how many springs do you actually catch. I was bar rigging beside a guy BB and i ended up with 4 fish landed and released while he had none.
When sockeye is open go ahead an BB, if you think that's the only way . I have had sockeye bit a bar rig multiple times and have float fish for them all the time they do bite.

mikeyman

Fraser closure and next cycle socs and springs
« Reply #205 on: August 23, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »

Well it is interesting that DFO has finally shut it down, I hope this does good things for the next cycle. If the numbers pan out it is over double from 2009. So I would hope another double up will occur. Funny how the closure notice says to shut down sports and commercial so that the natives can get their fish, still don't agree with it, river closure means river closure for all groups. That being said I have noticed the high number of springs in the test fishery and the fishing is really good right now out at the Fraser mouth. This could mean good things for our Chinook fishery as well if they are getting thru to spawn in higher numbers. It is a shame people couldn't stop bottom bouncing with long leaders for the springs. I would assume that the soc by catch and selective fishing methods was the reason for the closure. So food fish means for every 1 fish taken home,  sell 10, and that money is income to purchase other food items? This is not a "food fishery" it is a commercial fishery if being sold, sounds like a job to me, not cerimonial drift gill netting with a big powered boat to sell illegal fish to people on the road side, and if I get caught with those fish I buy, then what happens to me? Is there still native openings? not that it stops the netting, closure or not those nets are still in the water.  Not trying to stir the pot, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:29:46 PM by mikeyman »

trot

« Reply #206 on: August 23, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »

I have seen multiple drift netting operations since the closure-All reported and no action seemed to take place.

Really hoping the higher powers turn the tap off for the natives soon-Its all take, take, take. Its 2013, learn to live civilized without free handouts for everything in life.

Fools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f6WR9REOX6s
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:49:12 PM by trot »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2013, 02:27:54 PM »

Well, it's a start!

http://www.onenewspage.com/n/Americas/74vzeqdg3/British-Columbia-Boats-Seized-During-Crackdown-on.htm

Canadian authorities seized eight boats on August 23 during a crackdown on illegal salmon fishing.

27 people face charges and up to 2 years in jail, reported CBC.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans has been making a concerted effort to get poachers out of the area.

Enforcement officials said that on the Fraser River alone they’ve seized several vessels during the last week, not including the eight boats, and have pulled up dozens of illegal nets.

“We’re facing a fair number of nets that are fishing at night,” Herb Redekopp, chief of conservation and protection for the department, told CBC.

“There’s a real pent-up demand for these fish and the market price on the black market is very high.”

The department has night patrols and aerial units monitoring the illegal fishing.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #208 on: August 23, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »

And there's more....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/23/bc-salmon-poaching-fraser-river.html

DFO targets salmon poachers on Fraser River

CBC News

Posted: Aug 23, 2013 7:41 AM PT

Last Updated: Aug 23, 2013 1:05 PM PT

Officials have stepped up enforcement to catch salmon poachers on the Fraser River. Officials have stepped up enforcement to catch salmon poachers on the Fraser River. (Gary Stewart/Associated Press)

Play iconOfficials catching people illegally fishing on the Fraser RiverDFO targets salmon poachers in B.C.1:03

Related Stories
Fraser River salmon ban begins tonightFraser River sockeye test fishery scaled backFirst Nations Skeena sockeye fishery shut for first timeSockeye salmon shortfall drives up price       

Conservation officials are warning poachers to get their nets out of the Fraser River.

This year's disastrous sockeye salmon runs have prompted the closure of all commercial and recreational fisheries.
Fraser River salmon ban begins tonight

But enforcement officials say they've pulled up 50 nets and seized eight vessels in the last week alone.

Twenty-seven people are being investigated, most of them First Nations fishermen, said Herb Redekopp, chief of conservation and protection for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

"We're facing a fair number of nets that are fishing at night,” he said.

"There's a real pent-up demand for these fish and the market price on the black market is very high."
Sockeye salmon shortfall drives up price

Officials have stepped up enforcement on the river this week, including night patrols and aerial units.

"We're hitting the river hard,” Redekopp said.

“We've doubled our enforcement strength on the Fraser River from Surrey up to Hell's Gate and our primary focus is to move all the sockeye that are in the system right now up to the spawning grounds.”

Redekopp said most of the seizures have happened in the Chilliwack and Agassiz area of the Fraser.

The DFO says it's also looking into complaints of illegal fish sales.

Poachers can face a fine of up to $100,000 or up to two years in jail if found guilty.
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[