Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Easy access Squamish/Whistler spots for river/fly fishing  (Read 1862 times)

xnova

Easy access Squamish/Whistler spots for river/fly fishing
« on: October 04, 2023, 11:55:11 AM »

My father in law is into fly fishing and is visiting early October (Oct 7 - 14) and wanted me to bring him to fish in BC. I have zero knowledge about fishing but I'm thinking of bringing him to Squamish/Whistler area would be good from googling. We could hire a tour guide but I think it would be a waste of money since he is a very experienced fisher in his country plus also language barrier. So I'm just looking for a spot where I can bring him to and let him do his thing with short walks from the car

Can you guys advise if there are easy to access spots in Squamish or Whistler with car for fly fishing in those areas? Can you fly fish in Green Lake?

As he is coming from out of country, can we rent equipment (rods/reels/etc) around town?

I am aware of purchasing fishing license and also rules regarding some lakes for catch and release etc.

I have also searched rod's fishing location guide but the locations are very general (ie Fraser River, Squamish River) and isnt specific spot or location access listed there.

Thanks in advance

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Easy access Squamish/Whistler spots for river/fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 01:59:48 PM »

Alta and Nita Lakes are in Whistler & can be fly fished though a boat is recommended. Alta has some nice sized cutthroat as well as rainbows. You can access the Squamish at the mouth of the Mamquam River or at Fishermen's Park in Brakendale.  If your Father in Law is an avid FF I'd highly recommend at least a day with a guide on one of the rivers. Usually they can provide tackle and a excellent shot at getting him into some bulltrout and coho which should be his target. Not sure where else to get tackle. There is a Spud Valley sports in Pemberton.

https://spudvalley.com/
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 07:53:37 AM »

Whistler Hardware carry's fishing tackle and may have some advice on where to fish and in Squamish there is a new tackle shop, Coop's bait 'n Tackle. They might be able to also help you out.
https://coopsbaitntackle.ca/

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 09:48:58 PM »

Hire a guide.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 10:29:36 PM »

Green lake is good to go. lots of small rainbow and odd bull trout

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 05:29:44 PM »

Just hire a guide if you guys can afford it. Your dad's vacation time is limited and hiring a guide would allow him to spend more time fishing and less time researching and scouting. A guide could also solve the problem of having to find gear.