Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River Updates 2023  (Read 5821 times)

Phronesis

Vedder River Updates 2023
« on: September 22, 2023, 02:27:09 PM »

Thought of creating a different thread for vedder river
Went there 2 days ago and what a gong show on the lower vedder !
So many people with 6 to 8 foot leaders on a water this low.... constantly snagging pinks and few hooking chinooks anywhere on the head and no one marking their license.....no wonder all these fish are tight lipped....some might be new anglers who just copy others.

if people were not using long leaders and stop snagging them, they can actually be more productive as some fish would still be eager to bite.

My Dad saw this circus for the first time and asked why are these people just harming the fish left and right, kicking the fish etc, he was disgusted and we left.

We went to another spot where there were few people and those who were not snagging, we both got one pink salmon each on a 8mm orange bead, both were released.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River Updates 2023
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 03:37:29 PM »

Thought of creating a different thread for vedder river
Went there 2 days ago and what a gong show on the lower vedder !
So many people with 6 to 8 foot leaders on a water this low.... constantly snagging pinks and few hooking chinooks anywhere on the head and no one marking their license.....no wonder all these fish are tight lipped....some might be new anglers who just copy others.

if people were not using long leaders and stop snagging them, they can actually be more productive as some fish would still be eager to bite.

My Dad saw this circus for the first time and asked why are these people just harming the fish left and right, kicking the fish etc, he was disgusted and we left.

We went to another spot where there were few people and those who were not snagging, we both got one pink salmon each on a 8mm orange bead, both were released.

It’s the same group that got the crossing closed down.  Bunch of clowns.  Seen this stuff happen in the past but never with groups this large.

Rain will help a lot.  Not just with more water but need some color as well.  Hope to see DFO out more often on the Vedder now that the Fraser is closed

Wade

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 05:22:30 PM »

It’s the same group that got the crossing closed down.  Bunch of clowns.  Seen this stuff happen in the past but never with groups this large.

Rain will help a lot.  Not just with more water but need some color as well.  Hope to see DFO out more often on the Vedder now that the Fraser is closed

DFO guy was there on Monday, checked the hatch coho in my back trunk, not sure if he’d be interested having a conversation with those snaggers

canucksfan233

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 07:03:20 PM »

just curious, hard or soft bead was working for you?

Phronesis

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 08:07:48 PM »

Definitely its more people foul hooking than previous years. I reported to DFO, but dont think they ever listen. Maybe if they get 100 reports in a day.....

Phronesis

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 08:11:37 PM »

just curious, hard or soft bead was working for you?

I was using cleardrift soft bead, while my Dad used BNR

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 08:16:53 PM »

DFO guy was there on Monday, checked the hatch coho in my back trunk, not sure if he’d be interested having a conversation with those snaggers

I've fished the vedder 25 years and never had a a DFO check my vehicle. How did that come about?

Wade

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 08:24:45 PM »

I've fished the vedder 25 years and never had a a DFO check my vehicle. How did that come about?
The same guy was patrolling the fraser spot that I was fishing for the last two weeks, we met almost everyday, so had a little chat and he asked to take a look at my fish and asked if I could give him the fish head, I showed him the fish but kept the head…the cheek meat is my 5 year old daughter’s fav….

roeman

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 08:29:57 PM »

The same guy was patrolling the fraser spot that I was fishing for the last two weeks, we met almost everyday, so had a little chat and he asked to take a look at my fish and asked if I could give him the fish head, I showed him the fish but kept the head…the cheek meat is my 5 year old daughter’s fav….
That is really odd that he would ask for the head.  Suppose to leave the fish whole till you arrive at your residence so the spieces and length can be determined..
Are you fishin or catchin

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »

Landed 4 released 3 and lost one today; all chinook.

Some goon beaked me out in the end after bragging he landed 30 coho just before he showed up in my spot.

If a guy is fishing a run by himself give a couple extra steps of room and dont cast 10 feet up stream of him. Have some manners.
Fishing isn't catching

Phronesis

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 09:01:39 PM »

Landed 4 released 3 and lost one today; all chinook.

Some goon beaked me out in the end after bragging he landed 30 coho just before he showed up in my spot.

If a guy is fishing a run by himself give a couple extra steps of room and dont cast 10 feet up stream of him. Have some manners.

On a bead or roe?

chardeemacdenis

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 09:27:11 PM »

Roe.

I don't fish beads because everyone else does.

If I don't have roe I'll tie on some wool.
Fishing isn't catching

Wade

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 09:38:31 PM »

That is really odd that he would ask for the head.  Suppose to leave the fish whole till you arrive at your residence so the spieces and length can be determined..
He said he wanted to retrieve the chip in that hatch salmon head…

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 09:53:10 PM »

Probably for the Head Recovery Program.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 10:11:57 PM »

He said he wanted to retrieve the chip in that hatch salmon head…

He is not the conservation officer. Those guys don't touch fish.