Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barbed wire at Wilson Rd Chilliwack. Homeowners block dyke access to fishermen.  (Read 11384 times)

cdjk123

My understanding is that property owners only own up to the high water mark, which should just be on the other side of the fence. Hop down on the rocks and go around, no?

Ry the fly guy

if its private property I 100% support this. If it is however illegal it should be torn down and the people responsible charged.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer

So the barbed wire is what’s ugly, not the mounds of garbage, toilet paper and human feaces in the trees. I doubt a sign pointing out the obvious would have resolved the garbage issue. My friends and I always cart out garbage that belongs to us, and the garbage of the others who don’t respect the environment they are in. I completely understand why the land owners did what they needed to do to protect the rivers from irresponsible people. I’m so sad it had to come to this.

x3

That sucks that idiots have ruined that spot for everyone else. To those wondering whether the blockade is legal or not: send an email to the FVRD, City of Chilliwack, and/or DFO and share a screenshot of their response with us.

DRP79

This is sad to see but I understand it completely. This is one of my favorite spots on the river but I feel for these homeowners.  A handful of literal sh itbags have ruined it for the rest but unfortunately, there is no shortage of people who see nothing beyond their own nose and will just carry on not respecting anyone or anything.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Because of a few despicable humans who shouldn't even be breathing, let alone fishing, all considerate and responsible anglers are to pay the price.

ITs probably more than a few, if you go onto the fraser valley fishing facebook page every second post is about how someone is going to get someone by pushing or kicking them into the water.  There was a post with someone throwing rocks at a ripper/snagger and everyone was cheering him on.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:15:27 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

ITs probably more than a few, if you go onto the fraser valley fishing facebook page every second post is about how someone is going to get someone by pushing or kicking them into the water.  There was a post with someone throwing rocks at a ripper/snagger and everyone was cheering him on.

It wasn't just a post - there was video! However some posts were definitely not in favor of such vigilantism or provoking violence.

If there is one thing that could make me hang up my tackle for good it's not seals, FN fishing rights or climate change... it's the behaviour of other anglers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer

It wasn't just a post - there was video! However some posts were definitely not in favor of such vigilantism or provoking violence.

I'm so glad I never got on Facebook and such. It would drive me nuts.

If there is one thing that could make me hang up my tackle for good it's not seals, FN fishing rights or climate change... it's the behaviour of other anglers.

I was thinking the same.
I am starting to worry that the day when I might lose it on the river due to some arsehole's behaviour is closing in on me. 

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

I am starting to worry that the day when I might lose it on the river due to some arsehole's behaviour is closing in on me.

why even go out then?  There is plenty of areas on the north side of the fraser thats pleasant to fish. Only time i've ever been annoying is when a fly fishermen came and fished up stream of me and kept snagging two red paired up coho that you could see like 3 feet from shore in two feet of water.

milo

• Old Timer

why even go out then?

Because I like to eat fish I catch myself.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

I gave it up on the Vedder for Salmon season a long time ago. I couldn’t stomach the crowds and unethical fishing practices. I like to go hit a lake or two now in the fall and fish for rainbows and enjoy the solitude. Once the salmon have spawned and meat crowds are long gone I will start fishing for steelhead in December.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

I gave it up on the Vedder for Salmon season a long time ago. I couldn’t stomach the crowds and unethical fishing practices. I like to go hit a lake or two now in the fall and fish for rainbows and enjoy the solitude. Once the salmon have spawned and meat crowds are long gone I will start fishing for steelhead in December.

I agree. Personally I have NEVER fished the vedder from the shore during salmon season. Just Steel. I fish the canal from a boat and get my situde that way. I actually do better from a boat than most people do from shore.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer

stay away from the chinook meat holes and the vedder is not that bad. was fishing in the canal on sunday and everyone i saw was fishing properly. lots of laughs. good times.

i used to fish from my boat in the lower but i really see no advantage with the access being so good by foot. if you live close than maybe. by the time i hook up the boat, tow in there and launch it from cloverdale i could have been fishing for half an hour. same goes for hauling it home. it also can get busy down there as well with boat traffic accessing the fraser. 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

stay away from the chinook meat holes and the vedder is not that bad. was fishing in the canal on sunday and everyone i saw was fishing properly. lots of laughs. good times.

i used to fish from my boat in the lower but i really see no advantage with the access being so good by foot. if you live close than maybe. by the time i hook up the boat, tow in there and launch it from cloverdale i could have been fishing for half an hour. same goes for hauling it home. it also can get busy down there as well with boat traffic accessing the fraser.

You can hook more from the boat if you know where to go.