Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barbed wire at Wilson Rd Chilliwack. Homeowners block dyke access to fishermen.  (Read 11383 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

This property is not in the district of chilliwack. It is part of the fvrd.
The city of chilliwack ends just past the vedder crossing. The city of chilliwack has provided excellent access to the river via the rotary trail system.

I agree BUT disagree at the same time. Sure the trails are great. I can see what they have done and I really don't like the consolidation of vehicles. I'm a bit old school and liked it when we could pull over and park anywhere. But thats just me.

sugartooth

Consolidation of vehicles?  Lol. You mean parking lots?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Interesting. Some of the local governments are erecting signs at access point noting that while the dykes may be maintained by local governments with public funds the dyke itself is private property. It's up to land owners to block access with a fence or other barrier.The riprap is part of the dyke. Public land is usually the normal highwater mark...whatever that means.

Frankly many local landowners have been quite tolerant of anglers and other people accessing their property. IME it usually is gross abuse that leads to fencing and No Trespassing signs. All the trails the city of Chilliwack has established along the Vedder are probably used more by walkers and joggers than anglers. Anglers or at least some of them are usually the culprits when things go bad. Just my experience anyway.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bsmcrosseyed

This is one of my favorite fishing spots! But if a ton of people were dumping garbage and deficating in my yard I wouldn't put up with it at all! The bad apple fishermen has caused this confrontation by their disrespectfulness of not only the residents but also the environment in which they are harvesting from. This problem in all along the river and if this disrespect continues there will be MORE places being shut down. One brainstorm idea is to have a salmon tag on your licence for just this river. Have the additional fee pay for porta potties and garbage cans all along the river to keep it clean. That is a price I can live with!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer

Consolidation of vehicles?  Lol. You mean parking lots?

It was a lot better 15+ years ago. Vehicles and people were spread out more. Now, if you float down the river you'll see vast pockets of great water thats empty then you'll pass by crowds that stand shoulder to shoulder. Never used ti be like that.

sugartooth

And what’s wrong with that ?  “Vast pockets of great water that’s empty” is exactly where I want to fish.

milo

• Old Timer

So the barbed wire is what’s ugly, not the mounds of garbage, toilet paper and human feaces in the trees. I doubt a sign pointing out the obvious would have resolved the garbage issue. My friends and I always cart out garbage that belongs to us, and the garbage of the others who don’t respect the environment they are in. I completely understand why the land owners did what they needed to do to protect the rivers from irresponsible people. I’m so sad it had to come to this.

x2

I'll just add that I talked with one of the owners (a VERY nice person, and a fisherman himself, BTW) and heard first-hand about what had been done to them by some POS people who have no respect whatsoever for other people's lives, family and property.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when one idiot started yelling obscenities and threatening a homeowner in front of his three-year-old daughter even after the father explicitly pleaded with him not to use that kind of vocabulary in front of the kid. The altercation took place INSIDE the owner's property.

The city did nothing to protect them, so the owners banded together and acted (in self-defense, I may add). Exactly the same happened years ago at Osborne and other places on the river.

Because of a few despicable humans who shouldn't even be breathing, let alone fishing, all considerate and responsible anglers are to pay the price.

And risking the wrath of DennisK and others who find barbed wire unacceptable, I will say that if I were one of those owners who had to wake up to mounds of human excrement, toilet paper and wipes in my garden and listen to threats against my life and property in front of my family every day during salmon season,  I would make bloody sure to add a couple of well-trained German shepherds into the equation.

There were signs all over the place asking for respect to the private property. No respect was shown by too many, hence the outcome. Too bad, so sad.

kingpin

• Old Timer

I believe based on the map of the land title he owns the dyke beyond that point but only to the high water mark , so walking along the shore around that shouldn’t be an issue
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

edit
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:33:13 AM by dennisK »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

And risking the wrath of DennisK and others who find barbed wire unacceptable, 

It's likely not legal milo. You want to be a break the law knock yourself out. But you'll be on the wrong side of court action your whole life. Civilized people don't pick and choose what law to follow.

milo, Are you saying you support illegal actions now? I thought you were a teacher.

According to Section 5 of the General Regulations of the city of Chilliwack...."Barbed wire and electrified fences are NOT ALLOWED in residential neighbourhoods. The exception is for approved security fences which require the security wire to be at least 2 metres off the ground."

https://www.agfence.ca/news-and-advice/news/News-Advice/2019/07/05/185:fencing-bylaws-in-the-fraser-valley

ps..haha "wrath" of dennisk....no offence milo, you type that while drinking slivovitz or some other balkan tractor fuel
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:33:35 AM by dennisK »

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

[b

ps..haha "wrath" of dennisk....no offence milo, you type that while drinking slivovitz or some other balkan tractor fuel
   Lol. Funniest thing I read on here in ages. Please take no offence anyone to my comment just had to respond after reading this.

fisherforever

This property falls under the jurisdiction of FVRD not the city of Chilliwack

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:17:05 PM by fisherforever »

milo

• Old Timer

It's likely not legal milo.
Dennis, if it's illegal, then I'm with you. Nobody should be above the law.
That said, my understanding is that this area is beyond the city boundaries and urban laws don't exactly apply. How else do you explain the widespread use of barbed fences in the area?
It seems it's up to the owners to decide whether or not they will grant access to people beyond the high water mark. For decades owners at Wilson Road were very good to us and things worked out fine.
This year some people with questionable behaviour patterns showed up at the river bank, forcing the owners to defend themselves and screwing it up for all of us. While I don't condone property owners breaking the law using barbed wire (assuming it is indeed illegal), I totally support the owners in wanting to preserve their peacd and quiet and protect their properties and families.

Good plum brandy is a nectar of the gods. 😋 But no, just like I don't drink and fish, I don't drink and type replies on fishing fora. I was only trying to be humorous.

Tight lines, there's 30 kilometres of fishable river banks still left for the true anglers to explore. I would support the limited closure of certain honey holes, making them accessible only to seniors, youth only and people with disabilities.

spoiler

shouldn't need to put up signs to pick up your garbage, it's just common sense!
what's next, put up signs to not fall into the river?
I know the owner on a personal level and don't blame him for what he did