Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild....yup.....another wild coho.  (Read 12390 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
Re: Wild....yup.....another wild coho.
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »

Only caught 3 coho this year between my bro and I. Two were hatch's (one jack) and one was wild
Someone was here

Tommybuckles

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:55:39 PM »

Best day this season was 11 coho landed. Not a single hatchery out of the bunch. Not complaining though. Happy to just be catching fish.

FrayedKnot

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »

Early on I got 50% hatchery. The last 3 weeks almost all wild and I know 8 of the last 9 were wild. Been a great year in my books, More days out but hooked more this year then the last 10 together.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 06:17:49 AM »

What's is with all the wild coho?  I think I have caught about 18 cohos this year,  all wild but 3. Only took one home.  I don't know if it's the rivers I am fishing but this is frustrating. Don't get me wrong I am still enjoying everyday I go fishing, maybe I just have bad luck. I go fishing with bro and after a couple hrs he has 2 nice hatchery coho lying on the beach.  While I get lots of catch and release practice.

Being pretty new at this does 3/18 hatchery coho sound normal to you guys or is this just the luck of draw.

I have the same problem.. Only it's with Steel head.  Every year my first 7-8 in a ROW are wilds then a few hatches in between then wilds wilds.. .
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:45:21 AM »

"Don't worry I used to be in the same position as you, only catching wilds, back when I first started fishing. But after years of figuring them out, I have zeroed in on just hatchery Coho and rarely catch wilds"....what a crock of S***!  you can't be serious  ::) 

Only way you could maybe stack the deck a little in your favour is to to avoid fishing high in the river (because the hatch fish may get thinned out as they go up) but I have cuaght plenty of hatch fish from allison up to the boundry.  I have also hook 5 wilds in a roe near KW when 5 other guys each pulled in a hatchery fish each...its totally random/a fluke what you hook. 

To suggest you can target hatch fish over wild is rediculous.

fishtruck

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »

Just luck of the draw I guess as most of my catches this year were hatchery fish. Whereas my fishing partner had 50/50 split.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 07:47:23 AM »

I volunteer up at the Seymour Hatchery.  Late October we did a seine of the old dam pool.  We checked 220 coho of which 20 were hatchery.  Comes out to less than 10%.  This is not an unusual percentage on that river.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »

one quarter of the coho (excludes jacks) I landed were hatchery fish and all those were from the V-C. Every fish I took fro other FV systems were wild. Previous years it was about 50-50 I think this is a good thing since afaik hatchery production is relatively constant year to year so the big jump in wild fish indicates just how well coho are doing right now - looks like there is good spawning success, fry-smolt survival and most importantly good ocean survival. If only this could go on for the long term.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 08:25:06 AM »

I haven't really noticed a difference in my wild vs hatchery catch ratio. Seems to be hovering right around 20% like it usually is.

With that being said, once more the coho fishing has been excellent this year. Hopefully the trend continues.
Actions speak louder than words.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »

"Don't worry I used to be in the same position as you, only catching wilds, back when I first started fishing. But after years of figuring them out, I have zeroed in on just hatchery Coho and rarely catch wilds"....what a crock of S***!  you can't be serious  ::) 

Only way you could maybe stack the deck a little in your favour is to to avoid fishing high in the river (because the hatch fish may get thinned out as they go up) but I have cuaght plenty of hatch fish from allison up to the boundry.  I have also hook 5 wilds in a roe near KW when 5 other guys each pulled in a hatchery fish each...its totally random/a fluke what you hook. 

To suggest you can target hatch fish over wild is rediculous.

::) ::) it's called sarcasm, lighten up.
A swung fly is the best fly.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »

I am serious.I limited out on the vedder the last couple weekends.
The Bigger The Better!

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 12:29:36 PM »

I am serious.I limited out on the vedder the last couple weekends.

Bigfisher is top rod.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:17:26 PM by TayC »
A swung fly is the best fly.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »

lots of wilds on the v for me which is great but not so many on rivers north of the fraser.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »

I have the same problem.. Only it's with Steel head.  Every year my first 7-8 in a ROW are wilds then a few hatches in between then wilds wilds.. .

X2 here. My worst (no complaint) year in wild/hatchery steelhead was 32/0. This year my coho ratio is about 50/50 for over 30 landed. This is a good year for coho though.

norton

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:16 PM »

You should be happy there's lots of wilds. Maybe they'll open it for wilds too,someday.