Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peg leg??  (Read 11257 times)

Jace

Peg leg??
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »

Does anyone know if peg leg is accessible by 4x4 ?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
Re: Peg leg??
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »

It is not accessible by 4x4
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Morty

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »

According to my fishing partner who lives out there, the channel at the end of the road is now cut 6' to 8' deep.  It no longer angles off up through the big island but runs all the way up to the corn field.  apparently no way of even driving further up to cross over.  He reports also that the  sand/gravel ledge that guys were standing on the past few years has now mostly washed away and is pretty much just a shallow (and fast) part of the channel.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

sumasriver

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »

I went out to Peg Leg one time to see it.

When i witnessed    the gong show of snaggers  it  was disturbing. 

Watching guys cast 15 ft and snag with 30 lb test line. Quickly dragged onto the beach.

That was not fishing that i saw.

Robert_G

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »

Those days are over.....pretty much boat access only. Its not even walkable until the salmon season is over.....and that depends on how much more it dug out this year. There is a small section to the west that you can walk out to.....but the main river to the north is boat access only.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

I seen guys crossing the channel on foot on the weekend although it looked super sketchy to say the least.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

greese30

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »

Is it still possible to launch a boat there?

Robert_G

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »

Difficult, but not impossible. I would not consider doing it with a 2 wheel drive though.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »

I went out to Peg Leg one time to see it.

When i witnessed    the gong show of snaggers  it  was disturbing. 

Watching guys cast 15 ft and snag with 30 lb test line. Quickly dragged onto the beach.

That was not fishing that i saw.
Ripper nation is going strong there. The disturbing part is all the sockeye being caught...

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »

Quote from: Morty
According to my fishing partner who lives out there, the channel at the end of the road is now cut 6' to 8' deep.  It no longer angles off up through the big island but runs all the way up to the corn field.  apparently no way of even driving further up to cross over.  He reports also that the  sand/gravel ledge that guys were standing on the past few years has now mostly washed away and is pretty much just a shallow (and fast) part of the channel.

On my way back from the Columbia yesterday, I stopped by Pegleg to check it out.
Much to my Pathfinder's disappointment and my own, I can vouch for what Morty wrote above.
Vehicle access to Pegleg is history. It may be years before the river changes again and we get it back.
It might not happen in my lifetime.

Like Johnny Canuck says, there are guys wading across it, but it is risky (remember it took a life last year!). One of the two guys I was watching yesterday had water to almost his hips (he was a tall guy, BTW). Another guy (average height) was in the water up to his waist, and at one point he seemed to be struggling. They both managed it safely back though, but it was enough for me to see. Although I am 6'4" and of a large build, I will not bother with Pegleg.

As for launching a boat, your best bet would be a canoe or pontoon boat. It would be tough, if not impossible, to launch a conventional boat.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 09:13:16 AM »

Although I have had many a good BB experience at Peg Leg over the years, I shed no tears that it is no longer accessible.

On Sept 11th, 2011, during the height of the pink run, I observed 2 dead wild coho and one dead wild steelhead lying the shore. And this was just at 8:30 in the morning. I called RAPP and they responded.

Due to its accessiblilty and size, Peg Leg was a magnet for all manner of fisheries violations, intentional or not. Maybe this pink season, some of those wild fish will be able to survive their run upstream. 

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »

Its way to easy to get a license...I wish it was harder and cost more money. 

I would get more enjoyment out of fishing and I would probably catch more fish if these low life losers that just want to snag fish were not on the river!

Lets face it, if all you know how to do is bottom bounce with a long leader and a chunk of wool, you are not a sports fisher.  If you can't identify your catch, you don't know how to get a fish to bite, and you don't want to learn, you shouldn't be allowed to fish and you should take up another hobby.

Its time things get cleaned up.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 10:13:45 AM »

I was there this weekend, my buddy and I took the fly rods out. We crossed the channel and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, it barely went halfway up our shins so easily cross able in waders if you just walk down a bit IMO. It is however a long walk to any kind of fish able water where snaggers have not taken over. We managed 1 pink each an that was it but lots surfacing. Also by long walk I mean 45 minutes or more.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 12:07:57 PM »

I was there this weekend, my buddy and I took the fly rods out. We crossed the channel and I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, it barely went halfway up our shins so easily cross able in waders if you just walk down a bit IMO. It is however a long walk to any kind of fish able water where snaggers have not taken over. We managed 1 pink each an that was it but lots surfacing. Also by long walk I mean 45 minutes or more.
Not only ripper nation out in full force. Lots of sockeye getting caught. DFO needs to do a check there.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »

Steely, you acknowledge that there are lots of snaggers there, we all have seen how ugly the place gets...why bother stating on the forum thats its accessible by wading?  Don't you know there are plenty of snaggers and beeks on this forum! ;)

If someone is motivated enough, they'll go out there and find out themselves.  Why say anything, doing so will only increase traffic there opposed to leaving the impression that its not wadable which could decrease traffic?!?