Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghost Shrimps  (Read 12441 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Ghost Shrimps
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:23 PM »

that doesn't sound legal
well then hows it legal if a store pumps them nd sells them
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »

well then hows it legal if a store pumps them nd sells them
A commercial licence.

Just say it's gas money.

Sam6140

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 05:10:46 AM »

There's no such word as "shrimps."  Just like there's no such word as "Deers"  or  "Fishes."  Or especially "Salmons" or "Trouts."  Shrimp is used in a singular or plural manner, just like deer, fish, salmon, trout.    Sorry, just saying.  The title of the post stuck out and bugged me a bit. 8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:18:47 PM by Sam6140 »

ICA

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »

Thanks for the correction "Sam6140". It was my mistake.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »

There's no such word as "shrimps."  Just like there's no such word as "Deers"  or  "Fishes."   Shrimp is used in a singular or plural manner, just like deer or fish.    Sorry, just saying.  The title of the post stuck out and bugged me a bit.

Since we are being picky, "fishes" is also correct: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fish

plural fish or fishˇes

Thought I'd check for fun and it seems "shrimps" is ok too: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shrimp?show=0&t=1321635938

plural shrimps or shrimp
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:08:45 AM by Easywater »

Sam6140

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »

for once, I'm going to have to say who cares what that dictionary says.  I've been taught that it's incorrect. And it definitely sounds incorrect as well.  The comments for that link to FISHES in the dictionary are funny...some guy has the same argument I do.

But regardless, when SPEAKING, I highly doubt anyone would use the word "fishes" or "shrimps."   It's easier to write it, not say it.  Definitely sounds weird when spoken. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:21:35 AM by Sam6140 »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »

Getting back to the topic at hand. The last few yrs that i pumped bugs.they were getting harder to find.Maybe that is why D.F.O implemented liescensing and a daily limit.Can remember a few times on different rivers when thats all the steelhead were biting.Then other times they wanted the roe.So one never knows,but having them on me ,upped the confidence level for sure.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 12:52:23 PM »

Once you learn how to rig them so they stay alive (LOTS of Wiggle!) you'll soon discover they are The Best for steelhead!
Like a Fat Kid on a Smartie!!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »

Getting back to the topic at hand. The last few yrs that i pumped bugs.they were getting harder to find.Maybe that is why D.F.O implemented liescensing and a daily limit.Can remember a few times on different rivers when thats all the steelhead were biting.Then other times they wanted the roe.So one never knows,but having them on me ,upped the confidence level for sure.

Ghost shrimp are part of the life cycle for other creatures (seabirds and such) and the reduced number of ghost shrimp from harvesting or pollution or... is having a noticeable impact; hence the regulations.

Once you learn how to rig them so they stay alive (LOTS of Wiggle!) you'll soon discover they are The Best for steelhead!
Like a Fat Kid on a Smartie!! 

I would not argue with the NOG, however: as pointed out they may be the game saver one day and a waste of time the next.

It was my job (in the sixties) to dig them out of the freshly pumped sand and offer my blood to the fishing gods (once you've dug a couple times you'll get it).
Ghost shrimp are not the magic bullet.
A valueable asset for sure but not the end all be all.
Most Newer guys want to know what's catching them when they should be more concerned with where they are.
Once you've figured out where they like to hang then hone in on the soup de jour.
They work quite often just because they're the most different thing they've seen that day.

P.S. The VEDDAR is not all rivers as some of the newbies seem to think.

Good luck out there but don't put all roe in one basket.

Cheers Nog, You could find fish with rubber bands and toilet paper.
Just the young guys (new) think it's all this or that when it's actually putting this and that together.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »

Most Newer guys want to know what's catching them when they should be more concerned with where they are.

VERY true and good advice.

I know a couple older and experienced guys that for the most part use one thing but read and cover water well and know where fish will lie if they are there and they do very well.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »

For sure not the "Magic cant miss bait".Some days u wont get a sniff using them.Other days,well reminds of a time when i was fishing a paticular run on the Stamp and it had been fished through just before me(a top rod beat me to the spot).I could see he did not get a bite and left.I moved into the spot and it was game on using bugs.Some say they become more effective later in the season when the fish have been in the flow for abit and become wary.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »

Take the wife and/or kids down there they will love chasing you around with the bucket!
Ghost shrimp can be found all over not just white rock, alot of guys walk right over the holes out too far.
Ive also found to have better luck on a dropping tide. (in my spot) Also it is possible to harvest at almost any tide
if you are willing to search. As the tide goes out they go deeper and you work harder. If you find a few work that area hard for a bit.
Also I have never gone through more than 25-30 in a hard day fishing, but i suppose it depends on the type of water you're fishing.
Hope this helps a bit.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 05:01:45 PM »

In my mind, there should be a ban on ghost shrimp harvesting for recreational fishing.

It is not responsible to harvest these invertebrates, that are so key to the ecology of the intertidal zone, for recreation, and what is essentially a catch and release fishery.

Use artificials and other natural baits (worms and roe), but leave the little critters in the sand.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »

... Just the young guys (new) think it's all this or that when it's actually putting this and that together.

Great Advise!
Learning to READ the water is The Most Significant thing anyone who wishes to be successful can do! Without that, there's not a heck of a lot of point.

I believe the reason they work as well as they do in many occasions is they have wiggle, are the right size, and smell YUMMY to The Quarry!
That, and when everyone else is chucking something different...

Cheers Nog, You could find fish with rubber bands and toilet paper.

I'll take that as a challenge!   :D
So watch for that sometime this winter! I'll post when success comes calling on just that set-up!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »

Lol Nog, I can see it now. One pic of a steelie with a wadd of toilet paper hanging out of its mouth and a week later fifty guys chucking around TP on the Vedder  ;D