Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghost Shrimps  (Read 12439 times)

ICA

Ghost Shrimps
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »

I know that some people really prefer to use these when Steelheading; Are they available commercially alive or dead? or is there a place where they can be harvested?

paul1971

Re: Ghost Shrimps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »

no they are not available commercially you have to pump them back breaking but worth it!!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »

I know that some people really prefer to use these when Steelheading; Are they available commercially alive or dead? or is there a place where they can be harvested?

I've seen them in refrigerators at some tackle shops in damp sawdust.
They were mostly alive, but I guess they will definitely die after a while.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 07:55:04 PM »

You can pump for them around White Rock. The problem with harvesting them this time of year is the lowest tides are at night.

ICA

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »

Thanks guys for the info. I have seen videos on pumping for these shrimps and wondering if these pumps are available from tackle stores or do we fabricate them ourselves. Thanks again in advance fellas!  :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »

You can buy the pumps at most fishing stores. Alvey makes the good ones.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »

The problem with harvesting them this time of year is the lowest tides are at night.

I never noticed that before.

I use this site to check tides: http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/nwm

and if you move through the days, you can see there are "low" low tides early in the morning (4:00am) then they switch to "high" low tides during daylight hours in the following days.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »

Do they really give you much of an edge? Seems like a lot of effort to go to when in my admittedly fairly limited experience Steelies will pretty much hammer anything you put in front of them as long as they haven't already seen it drift past several times, especially in the early season.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »

A buddy of mine that steelhead fishes a lot (he works at a fishing store in town) says you can see the steelhead chomping on the shrimp.
The float shakes for a bit then finally goes down when the fish finally swallows the shrimp or is fully hooked.

I made a pump a few years ago: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22943.0

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 02:37:48 PM »

I dont live close to the salt water anymore,but when i did,you bet i pumped up bugs.It was fun going there to do so in the anticipation of being rewarded like no other reward,a chrome bullit on the end of your line.Bugs and fresh Boraxed steelhead roe are a one two punch that gets you into fish.I think you now need a saltwater tag to harvest these little critters.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »

I dont live close to the salt water anymore,but when i did,you bet i pumped up bugs.It was fun going there to do so in the anticipation of being rewarded like no other reward,a chrome bullit on the end of your line.Bugs and fresh Boraxed steelhead roe are a one two punch that gets you into fish.I think you now need a saltwater tag to harvest these little critters.

Yes you need a tidal licence and I believe the limit is still 50/day. I remember spending one late Christmas eve pumping shrimp for the boxing day derby. Was alot of work for only a handful of shrimp. It seems to me that the numbers have started to drop in certain areas. As good as they are for steelhead I have given up with pumping shrimp and I will stick to roe, spinners, bubble gum worms and my died shrimp. I have pretty good luck with these so I have hardly noticed a difference.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

azafai

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 04:35:27 PM »

http://www.sportco.com/store/pc/Willapa-Marine-Products-Shrimp-Gun-Pvc-588p50937.htm

Probably only available down south but a cheaper alternative to the Alvey pump.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 08:32:27 PM »

i love ghost shrimp presonally my fav thing to use, escpically in a nice deep slower pool
buddy pumps em and i just give him some money
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Nitroholic

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »

buddy pumps em and i just give him some money

that doesn't sound legal