• old fart
Re: WTF
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 08:19:05 AM »

Eagle
Riverman

blueback

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »

Quite a few years ago I was fishing the Alouette when I noticed an injured steely thrashing around in the shallows. I picked it up and it had similar (not exactly the same) marks on it, as the one in our thread here. I stood there wondering about it when I heard a rustle above me and saw this eagle looking down at me from his pearch on a tree branch. I'm sure he was thinking "get away from my breakfast"; I put the fish back in the water only to see the eagle finish the job. 

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 09:06:43 AM »

the gash at the heart and liver looks like a knife to me.

My guess would be some one caught it and bled it out through the heart and liver cut and forgot about it or eye hooked it really really bad and killed it with the heart and liver cut.  Usually from what I have seen is that wounds that penetrate the belly wall from seals and sealions, snags etc are "v" shaped and torn.  That is a cut from an instrument.   I also think that penetrations by birds usually appear round or oval and hambergery.

A photo of the other side of the fish may add information.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:18:19 AM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 09:30:58 AM »

Snagged, knife wounds, you guys are ridiculous.
Birds of prey can do a lot of damage, don't over think this.

Kenwee

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 11:49:22 AM »

All the fish in the river should be treated with care and respect. But there are many who fish and do not care much about this. It is sad and we have to find away to educate and inculcate a responsible culture into the people who fish our rivers. If we can achieve this goal, we will have hope for posterity who will come after us and the world will be a better place for all.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 11:59:56 AM »

All the fish in the river should be treated with care and respect. But there are many who fish and do not care much about this. It is sad and we have to find away to educate and inculcate a responsible culture into the people who fish our rivers. If we can achieve this goal, we will have hope for posterity who will come after us and the world will be a better place for all.

What does that have to do with this topic? Their is no proof that this fish was caught and not cared for.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »

Sorry, it was my fish. I went home to get my licence so I could mark on it before coming back to get it.

I hope you left the fish there. ;)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »

End of topic.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »

that does look like the work of a seal or eagle....this is more along the lines of the work from a human

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »

Sorry, it was my fish. I went home to get my licence so I could mark on it before coming back to get it.

I hope you left the fish there. ;)

You could have just called Chris and he'll mark it on his licence. ;D

Dogbreath

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

It's a dead fish-deal with it.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:10 PM »

I think it was suicide.....

Rather than dying a slow and painful death at the hands of a fisherman it killed itself.....

Probably impaled on a sharp rock...   :(
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Robbie

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »

call CSI Grissom...

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »

Looks like a hungry bear looking for roe!

ribolovac02

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »

I'm no expert but if you look closely you see no CLAW marks anywhere,I'm sure if an eagle went for this fish it would left some nasty scars all over this fish,I do belive an EAGLE has some PRITTY sharp claws,dosn't it

The eyes were picked out by a SEAGULL,obiouvously,if some one had cought this fish and maybe they lost their catch for some reason(RIVER CURRENT)I m sure they would of bonked it when they coughtit,but there is no marks on the most common area of the head where people WACK the fish when they kill it......

The scar below the fin is the one I cant figure out

MY guess is the seagull made a whole and took the heart,which is i think very uncommon if he did,but for sure leaves me clueless?

My conclusion based on this is the fish died from POOR PRACTICE OF CATCH AND RELEASE,and thats why I posted this picture in the first place,not to steer the pot but to put this message across:

IT IS STEALHEAD SEASON AND THESE FISH NEED TO BE TREATED WITH THE HIGHEST RESPECT AND CARE,PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STEP INTO THE WATER WHEN LANDING THESE BEAUTIFUL CREATURES,THE WATER DOES NOT FREEZE OVER ONCE THE 600$ SIMMS WADERS AND 250$ PAIR OF BOOTS TOUCH IT,DONT WORRY THATS WHAT THEY ARE KNOW FOR GOOD QUALITY,LOL,PLEASE PRACTICE CAREFULL CATCH AND REALEASE SO OUR KIDS CAN ENJOY THE BEST OF WHAT NATURE CAN OFFER TO US.

THANKS AN GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

CHEERS....