Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: veddar sockeye...Please identify your catch!!!  (Read 11514 times)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: veddar sockeye...Please identify your catch!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 08:20:30 AM »

Although I'm sure you have good intentions and believe what you have written, your statement is probably the least intelligent comment made on this thread.   :(

While we can all probably agree that it may help to talk to fishermen when they are in the process or have committed a violation, it is fraught with problems. While you may have the ability to speak to someone in a non-confrontational way, most people don't have that ability.  

That's why folks smarter than you or I have created the Observe, Record and Report (ORR) program.

Everyone should have this number in their cell phone. The more calls they receive the more attention the problem will get.

1-800-465-4336 or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186       http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/ORR-ONS-eng.htm

Or call the provincial RAPP line Dial Toll Free 1-877-952-7277       http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm  

So hypothetically speaking, If you saw your little cousin or friend illegally retaining a fish, cause he/she didn't know any better , you would call them in to the ORR number ?? Give me a break man. There's the one's out there who don't care and the ones who don't know. Call in the ones who don't care, and try and help the ones who don't know. I'm sure you can tell the difference. Calling the CO or DFO doesn't always work in certain situations. I'm sure your hypothetical cousin/friend would like for you to help them out instead of calling the coppers on them ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:24 AM »

It isn't legal.....    ???  "It is unlawful to release fish in a harmful manner"

If a CO catches you pulling a fish onto shore that will be released, he WILL give you a ticket.

You're missing my point. 

If these people have a hard time identifying fish IN THEIR HANDS, how are they going to identify them in the water prior to dragging something up that they are "planning" on retaining?  Remember, they think they have a "keeper"....  it's more about preventing it from happening in the first place and good fish handling practices, retention or not.  Again this is where education would go a LONG ways.

How many sockeye anglers did you see bring a fish in and drag it up on shore prior to properly ID'ing it?  Since they were planning on retaining they probably saw it as legal right up until the point they figured out it was a thompson steelhead (or didn't figure it out).

see where I'm going with this...?  It's a dangerous practice for retaining fish when peoples fish ID skills are so shoddy.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »

There's the one's out there who don't care and the ones who don't know. Call in the ones who don't care, and try and help the ones who don't know. I'm sure you can tell the difference.

Please tell me how because I really can't judge peopel from their gender, race, look , etc. But I understand your point. IMHO, in this case educating is prior to reporting because the experience shows that those who don't know/understand the rules will continue to make "HONEST" mistakes!

I think we have a really well-edfined problem on our hands here: You can't put the full responsibility of a mistake (honest or not honest!) on individuals until you have an easy-to-understand set of rules and regulations and also the proper tools/methods to communicate those regs to people. The DFO has made it very easy and convenient for people to go online and buy a fishing license (I'm sure this has incerased the flow of $$ to their accounts) but the question is: Did they put enough tools/controls in place to make sure every person who buys an e-license will read and understand the regs??

You can only and ONLY enforce a law when the person becomes fully responsible for his/her action and I don't think if the DFO has done a good job in transferring that responsibility to the newbie anglers.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:09:12 AM by RainbowMan »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »

So hypothetically speaking, If you saw your little cousin or friend illegally retaining a fish, cause he/she didn't know any better , you would call them in to the ORR number ?? Give me a break man. There's the one's out there who don't care and the ones who don't know. Call in the ones who don't care, and try and help the ones who don't know. I'm sure you can tell the difference. Calling the CO or DFO doesn't always work in certain situations. I'm sure your hypothetical cousin/friend would like for you to help them out instead of calling the coppers on them ;D

If you want to deal with the "hypothetical" I'm sure you can come up with all sorts of reasons to not report someone who is breaking the law...    ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »

You're missing my point. 

If these people have a hard time identifying fish IN THEIR HANDS, how are they going to identify them in the water prior to dragging something up that they are "planning" on retaining?  Remember, they think they have a "keeper"....  it's more about preventing it from happening in the first place and good fish handling practices, retention or not.  Again this is where education would go a LONG ways.

How many sockeye anglers did you see bring a fish in and drag it up on shore prior to properly ID'ing it?  Since they were planning on retaining they probably saw it as legal right up until the point they figured out it was a thompson steelhead (or didn't figure it out).

see where I'm going with this...?  It's a dangerous practice for retaining fish when peoples fish ID skills are so shoddy.

I'm not disagreeing with you....   :)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

sapper

• 2000 Feet 3 Miles East of the Port Mann, Full Stop
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 12:50:43 PM »

Although I'm sure you have good intentions and believe what you have written, your statement is probably the least intelligent comment made on this thread.   :(

While we can all probably agree that it may help to talk to fishermen when they are in the process or have committed a violation, it is fraught with problems. While you may have the ability to speak to someone in a non-confrontational way, most people don't have that ability.  

That's why folks smarter than you or I have created the Observe, Record and Report (ORR) program.

Everyone should have this number in their cell phone. The more calls they receive the more attention the problem will get.

1-800-465-4336 or in Greater Vancouver: 604-607-4186       http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/ORR-ONS-eng.htm

Or call the provincial RAPP line Dial Toll Free 1-877-952-7277       http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/rapp/form.htm  

I never said in my post don’t report it.  My post was all about getting the info to those who aren’t in the know.  I myself will report poachers when I see it happening, but at the end of the day reporting the issue has done nothing to prevent it from occurring again.  This is a game of education.  Its blatantly obvious who the individuals are that just don’t care.  After speaking a few words with them regarding the situation, if they blow you off well then these are the people we need to get the license plate info on, pictures if you can and so on to the DFO.

Like I said earlier, reporting a fish poacher just creates another statistic.  Reporting repeat offences by the same individual gets attention, and we all know that attention in the sport fishery is spotty due to the lack of resources at the DFO office.  How many hundreds of kilometers of fishable rivers are in our region and only a handful of officer to enforce the regulations.  Until this changes – educate and report.

I’ll emphasize the part you perhaps didn’t get in my first post.

Try educating that person about what has been done  (and I don’t mean educating by verbally lashing that person in front of 100 other people with your manly lion voice - they’re going to feel about 2 inches tall when the realize what they have done, even without being lashed in front of everyone else).  If you still want to report the issue, than now is the time to do so, you have done you part by "educating" the person that has done wrong.
From the coasts of BC and Newfoundland Labrador, to the smallest crevasse in the hills of Afghanistan.  Support your Canadian Troops!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »

Lets sway away from questioning the intelligence of those who do not agree with you in discussions such as this please.

Protecting our fishery resource takes both education and enforcement. One is not necessarily more important than the other and each situation is dealt with differently. A conservation officer would not necessarily issue a fine when a family who is new to fishing is using a barbed hook. Education in this case would have more benefits in this case. A poacher who is fully aware of what he or she is doing when killing a protected fish would be a good candidate for a fine. An uneducated angler kills a hatchery marked Cultus Lake sockeye salmon is unfortunate, a fine maybe issued by a conservation officer if one is around, but making sure the angler does not make the same mistake again by informing him or her is beneficial in the long run if conservations are not around.

burnaby

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »

Canada is a society of nice lazy folks needing gentle pampered treatment. Honest mistake makers upon signing their name on their paid license agree to abide by the rules. Excuse makers states rules are not clear, need more hand holding. Like any licensed activity the participants must take the responsibility of educating themselves on the rules or not participate.

An acquittance informed us they harvested clams not knowing a license is required. Truly an honest mistake. CO issued all the adults a $150 fine each. That story got around REAL quick to educate all. Enforcement works! speeding tickets slows speeder!

Cmon folks, way beyond needing to question the intelligence, you already have the answer, just can't say it.
Lets sway away from questioning the intelligence of those who do not agree with you in discussions such as this please.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 02:35:19 PM »

Posting this poster for Dave.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/100928-1.doc

Feel free to print it out and carry it with you to the Vedder.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »

Trying to get back on track here.
This weekend the Chilliwack-Vedder will be packed with anglers. The Cultus Lake sockeye run is in full swing right now with app. 6200 into the lake; not many compared to the Adams but substantial for this stock.  Even better news is there are more to come as the lower river has many sockeye that will soon be entering Sweltzer Creek.
New anglers, please have a look at the link provided by Rod if you are unsure of proper fish identification.  This stock is in peril and needs all the spawners it can get.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »

Trying to get back on track here.
This weekend the Chilliwack-Vedder will be packed with anglers. The Cultus Lake sockeye run is in full swing right now with app. 6200 into the lake; not many compared to the Adams but substantial for this stock.  Even better news is there are more to come as the lower river has many sockeye that will soon be entering Sweltzer Creek.
New anglers, please have a look at the link provided by Rod if you are unsure of proper fish identification.  This stock is in peril and needs all the spawners it can get.

6200? unbelievable, what a great year.
The Bigger The Better!

BBarley

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »

I'll ditto what Dave said, big year for Cultus Lake sockeye. That lake faces a lot of problems from all the different user groups, so to see a fishery rebounding somewhat in it is a positive sign that all is not lost.

I'll post a little story on the topic of this thread, yesterday I was fishing my favorite spot which just happens to be "near" where Sweltzer enters the Vedder and I watched an "Asian-Canadian" fishing right in Sweltzer Creek on the seem where it joins the Vedder. About 10 minutes after my arrival to the spot I saw him hook what looked like a typical sockeye sized fish and thought "I really hope he's not whacking Cultus Lake sockeye and hiding behind the language barrier excuse." I approached him in a civilized manner and asked him what type of fish he just caught, he brought me over to the fish and said "Hatchery coho" he then went on to say spots on back and tail with black tongue. He was spot on in his salmon ID, he obviously knew the different types and we had a small chat and it was back to fishing.

Crying foul to the DFO thinking any little problem is going to get fixed is pure fantasy. I really agree with Bently and his comment about there being 3 types of fishermen/woman, those who know, those who don't know, and those that don't care. It's the people that don't know that we all need to work on as knowledgeable stewards of the resource.  

I have printed a copy of Rodney's poster regarding hatchery coho and clipped sockeye and will post it tomorrow morning near Vedder Crossing where Sweltzer joins the Vedder.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:49:47 PM by BBarley »