Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Langara Fishing Lodge  (Read 16333 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Langara Fishing Lodge
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:08:06 PM »

Going to Langara June 5-8.  Does anyone have any tips?  Been over the web site a thousand times.  I've fished for salmon in the ocean maybe 10 times.  Not too much experience, but I know presentation is very important.  I will research this thoroughly before we embark on our trip.  Really excited, if anyone has gone and care to share a tip I would appreciate it.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
Re: Langara Fishing Lodge
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:23:36 PM »

Worked and fished there for 18 years, get in touch and I will fill you in, have a good trip, great time for big springs.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:37:14 PM »

Trying to send you a private message but don't know how.  I'd like to ask you a few questions about Langara fishing in June.  Do you know how to private message?  If not maybe we can e mail?
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »

I work in the same area...Last few years the baitfish in June have been Needlefish. Not many Herring around. Don't think they have Anchovies at Langara for bait but that is what we use in June...near or just off the bottom as the Springs will be feasting on the needfish hatch.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:00:05 AM »

We're going to be using a 19ft  center console boat with a 60 HP I think.  I'll have a GPS with me.  IS it worth venturing out from the island to search for other fishing grounds?  I haven't looked at any hydrographic maps or anything, but I heard of a couple of spots off shore.  I imagine, this would be something for a bigger boat?
If fishing around the island what is the key to success?  Is cohoe point the most productive area for springs?     If fishing on or near the bottom, is there a particular depth we should be focusing on?  I was out on the west coast a few years ago and we were fishing in 30 to 40 feet.  I thought this to be quite shallow, but it worked.  If needle fish are the baitfish, should we be using spoons?  Or is live bait the best option.  Where is a good spot to shoot for a big spring?
Thanks a lot.  Look forward to going there. Hey one more thing.  As far as tipping goes.  The guy I'm going with is on the conservative side, where as I am a little more appreciative of good service.  How does the tipping work there?  Who do you tip?  The guy that takes your fish to clean it?  How much should one be tipping etc?

Cheers

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 08:15:08 AM »

I'm confused, but that's not unusual, are you going with a guide or are you going in a bare boat?
If you're going bare boat make sure one of you has an operating permit.
If you're going with a guide (which is my assumption) your guide will know the hotspots and how to fish them.
It's nice to know the names of productive areas for conversation purposes as well as acquainting yourself with an area you might try solo in the future but generally most guides will work to get you into fish.
Sometimes weather dictates the fishable areas, areas that are reccommended and you might want to fish might  not be a good or safe choice on certain days (it's big water up there)
but your guide's income is supplemented by tips, that's why they want you catching.
I don't know Langara Lodge or how deep your pockets are but I usually give a $20, or more, handshake (per trip not per week) and my fishing buddies do likewise, to guides when I use them and I base that on service, (is the boat clean? is the guide organized? or did he leave something important back on shore ), effort (is he working to catch fish or driving around in a circle with the same dead herring all day), and level of entertainment (Did we catch fish?If it was slow he better be amusing,  friendly, informative, and a good story or joke teller).
The more fun the bigger the handshake and if I'm out with some miserable SOB he better get me into lots of fish.

Good luck have fun.

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 11:02:41 PM »

If you are going to Langara Fishing Lodge the info they give out is pretty much self explanatory, they are there to make you have a successful trip. West side hali to 300 pounds, they offer gps's with all the hot spots for fishing the bottom fish, with the boat you have you can go around the island, weather permitting in about a half an hour. If you want a trophy fish then just sit in bruin bay, 10, 12, 14, pulls with a cut plug for your whole trip and the fish you do hook will be decent. Coho point will give you fish if you are patient, Boulder, again 10 to 14 pulls because your only fishing 50 ft. of water. Macpherson is good for bigger fish on the right tide, again the lodge has great info on areas and when to fish regarding tides, after everyday at dinner they will tell you where the fishing was best. If all else fails, follow the bigger blueboats, the guided boats and watch how they are fishing, ask questions they will offer the info to get you into fish. Cut plug is all they offer, there are no down riggers. The most common pulls are usually shallow, if I had one rod to fish then it would be 17 pulls, doesn't matter how deep the water is. Heres hoping you have a great trip, the scenery is awesome, the staff are very friendly and you won't loose weight with the menu they serve. Guided or unguided as soon as you hit the wharf you fish are weighed, marked on the board and then processed by the staff, everything is taken care of, very professional. Enjoy.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:23:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies people.  Our trip is unguided, so gps 's with the hotspots for bottom fish is cool.  I'm still unsure of the tipping.  Do we tip the guy that takes our fish from the boat and weighs it etc?  Do we tip for everyone we cross paths with?  Do we tip for breakfast?  Do we tip for dinner?  Do we tip for the guy that delivers the 6 pack of cold beers out to our boat with a couple of sandwiches... of course we do!  Seriously though, I'd like to do it right.

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »

In terms of tipping...At the lodge I work at ...and I assume at Langara as well...Just leave one tip either in cash or credit card. Everyone outside of the guides are in a tip "pool" so they will all shar ethe tips equally. When I have friends or family come up I suggest to them 150-250 per person , per trip for tipping. But there is no hard written rules.

roeman

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »

I suggest to them 150-250 per person , per trip for tipping. But there is no hard written rules.
How many days are you referring to as a trip.
How many people in a group.
If a group of 4, for 3 days, you are looking for 600 - 1000 bucks in tips.
Are you fishin or catchin

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:00:59 AM »

We are in an unguided boat.  Just the two of us.  For 4 days.

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »

If you are unguided and are wondering about the tips, it is when you leave they will give you an envelope and however the staff has treated you tip accordingly. The fish pit boys are great up there, they will take and weigh your fish, clean and vacumn pack it, they do an excellent job and don't forget that is your end product, I know that a case of beer left in the ice bin is much appreciated by the guys. Guides are separate and whastever you decide to tip is split amongst the 50 or so staff, you do the math. If your having problems hooking up like I said ask any of the guides and they will be more than happy to give you a few hints. Follow the guided boats and you will be fine, just remember you have lots of line and a motor to chase these fish, horsing them in will only result in frustration and an empty box going home, some fish will hit like freight trains, no brainers but some will give you a very light tap for a bite, watch your rod tips, missing those bites will again result in success or none. Another hint, halis prefer fresh bait, not brined, have a good one.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »

That's friggen great info.  Thanks!

Getting close to the date, I can't wait.

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 08:25:53 PM »

How many days are you referring to as a trip.
How many people in a group.
If a group of 4, for 3 days, you are looking for 600 - 1000 bucks in tips.

I think that our "tipping guide" suggests 100 dollars per person per trip as a satisfactory experience. It's really up to the individual. Its not unheard of some guests to leave tips in excess of 500 dollars each and some guests leaving none at all. A average group of 4 for a 3 day trip will have spent  , without guides , around 16K. Add guides and you will be closer to 20K. I know 600-1000 is a lot of money to most people....hell it is for me...but for some it's a evening out on the town.

obie1fish

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »

About the bites...
like Bobber said, they run the full gamut from trouty bites to freight trains. If you're unguided and are still at the start of the learning curve:

1) When the bite comes, take the rod out of the holder, hold onto the reel knobs, lower the rod tip to the water,and wait.

Then wait.
Then wait until you can't stand it any more.
Then wait.

Seriously, too many people are so excited about their bite that they don't allow the fish to take the bait and turn. You'll know when this happens by the fact the rod is probably bending with the top 1/3 of it in the water. When you see this happening,

2) Hold onto the reel knobs, and, as lightning fast as you can, whip the rod to a vertical position (that is, HIT IT!!!). And keep the rod tip up.

3) Let go of the reel knobs. And keep the tip up. If your drag is set properly for a new angler it should be tight, and the fish should be able to take line off the reel without creating a bird's nest. Let the fish run, and take back line when you can.

Yeah, there's more to it, and you'll catch on after some time.

and remember, this is for FUN! You'll let some fish get away- that's part of it. Let whatever happens, happen. Relax. Watch and listen. It's embarrassing for us guides, but there are times when a newbie will outfish the fleet. Don't expect it, but with a good attitude and the Kharma it brings, you just might be that boat!

Tight Lines,

Obie