Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River Diverson Project  (Read 11983 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: Chehalis River Diverson Project
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2007, 04:39:06 PM »

I took drive up to the chehalis just got back... River is in the trees, and running brown... I took some photos of the work they are doing at easter seal, and the diversion project has not yet started... Don't waste your time.

To add to this, I thought i'd take a walk downstream to see where the future path will go, and It's obvious the river will run right into the trees below the hatchery pool, and is almost impenetrable with the deadfall, log jams, etc. It may split off and run half into the bush, and half down the old channel, but it's really hard to say at this point.

I thrashed through the bush for an hour before I came to the conclusion i'm never going down there again; once the water volume slams in there at full force, maybe some of that crap will be blown out, and some new runs will be formed.

The first 100 yards will likely be whitewater. I was literally wading in the middle of the channel under huge hemlocks to get downstream, and there's one stretch of at least 50 downed trees, many of them will be across the new channel when the change happens.

I'll post some easter seal pics in a bit, once Tomas gets them off the camera!

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2007, 08:03:45 PM »

Ok here are the photos, I made some panoramas:

There you go.
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2007, 09:11:03 PM »

once that water calms down and isn't so coloured, i'm gonna be out there
Fish killer 101

Mike D.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2007, 09:23:41 PM »

Well than....they haven't even started diverting yet....its been 100% approved most likely...as what your pics show nicole, is what I saw when I was up there a couple weeks ago....it hasn't changed yet....to bad they didn't start diverting it yet...as the river will blow out for sure tomorrow...would of been a great time to see the new channel get blown in there....and no matter what this time it will be diverted as the "aboriginal" people are getting annoyed with the loss of their land! I would figure that when the water gets lower they will try to block off the channel going through the trees with big rocks, and logs etc. and it will direct through to the channel they started digging last yr....did u notice how the highside was on the CG side and not the forest side?

Mike <"))))))><

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2007, 10:37:18 PM »

After thinking it over a little longer I'm not convinced that the river is being diverted back to the hatchery. Count me in the category of I'll believe it when I see it.

As was mentioned earlier by Pat AV, why would they be doing in stream work at this time of year. They wouldn't.

The last time I was back in that area (a few weeks ago) they had two excavators working. What they were working on looked to be a new dike system that connected with what is remaining of the old dike. Unfortunately, it started at the bottom of the old dike and gradually receded further and further from the river. Believe me, the dike they were working on was not to divert the river but rather to protect the buildings in the area. In fact if you look at the first picture that Nicole posted you can see the clearing on the far side of the river where the new dike is being put in. It continues onward in the same direction. Perhaps, it is just a part of a multi dike system, with the actual in stream work to come in the summer, but so far no diversion work has been done.

This sounds far too much like internet hearsay, that starts out as rumor and eventually gets passed along as fact. Thanks for actually going in checking this out Nicole.

Sorry to disappoint everyone. I would be more than happy to eat my words if it does in fact get diverted come summer time.
Actions speak louder than words.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2007, 07:44:38 AM »

$10,000 wouldn't even cover lunch expenses for one of the ministers.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 09:35:40 AM »

^ AGREED !

If you are caught down there, you are fishing on the reserve and will be treated by the band as trespassers and you will be harrased

^ I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH INDIANS DOWN THERE, BUT DO WATCH OUT FOR FLYING BULLETS, SINCE THEY 'VE BEEN BLASTING SEAGULLS, AND EAGLES !  >:(

Mike D.

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »

Is there any programs or projects that concerned anglers like myself can join for to help out fish stocks on the chehalis? Like maybe a fry raising/hatching program.....or something....because I have a hunch that one of my favorite rivers is about to go down the drain forever!  >:( I also am renewing my membership with the FVSS......gotta look out for the next generation of anglers like myself!

Mike <"))))))><

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 07:37:03 PM »

Why shoot bald eagles?  Are they doing it because of the black market or just because they can? 

Mike D.

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2007, 07:53:07 PM »

the best thing you can do for the Chehalis will be to let the DFO know that you wont stand for idleness this year and want the work done correctly so we can have continous brood stock requirements met and excellent fishing opportunity for a lot of fishermen

Alrighty than....I have a plan  ;D

Why shoot bald eagles?  Are they doing it because of the black market or just because they can? 

Blackmarket!

Mike <"))))))))><
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:57:00 PM by Mike D. »

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2007, 08:14:47 PM »

$$$$

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2007, 08:19:22 PM »

Cam,
Is there a problem with the hatchery getting brood stock or is a concern of areas to fish in?

These are two radically different concerns and only one will be dealt with by the hatchery.

FF

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 11:17:52 PM »

Those where the good ole days