Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you keep your catch while fishing  (Read 8038 times)

Nikonian

• Newbies on fishing
How do you keep your catch while fishing
« on: July 27, 2004, 09:14:47 AM »

Sorry for series of stupid questions -- but this one really puzzled me for a while.  If you are away from your vehicle, after cleaning your fish, how do you keep it fresh without moving away from your spot?

Too bad I don't have any experience on keeping the catch  :-[ -- I caught 1 coho before and released.

Thanks!!!

Hook

Re:How do you keep your catch while fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 09:43:53 AM »

Fish caught on a fishing trip are good for freezing for later use if they are brought home in good condition. Proper preservation begins the moment the fish is hooked and pulled from the water. How you initially handle a fish can greatly affect its quality, taste and storage life.

First of all, the fish should not be allowed to flop around on the ground or in the bottom of a boat, where repeated bumping against raised ribbing and other objects can cause bruising and result in defects in the frozen product.

Once the fish has been restrained and the hook removed, it is best to keep it alive as long as possible. Most modern sport fishing boats are equipped with a live well designed specifically for this purpose. If a fish is too large for the live well or a live well is not available, the next best method is to use a stringer or a fish basket hung over the side of the boat, or put it in a container of clean water.

If a fish dies, it should be gutted and cleaned as soon as possible. In the meantime, remove the dead fish from the water so its flesh doesn't absorb water and swell. If a cooler of ice is not immediately available, wrap the fish loosely in damp cloth or paper and place it in a shaded area, out of direct sunlight (under a boat seat, for example). Leave space around the wrapped fish for air to circulate and evaporate the moisture from the wrapping material, which will help keep it cool.

Keep the wrapping material moist so the wrapped fish stays cool and its skin does not become dry.

Pack your catch in a cooler with plenty of ice before transporting it home. The cooler or ice chest should have a raised false bottom to collect the water from the melting ice. This will keep the fish from floating in and possibly soaking up water in the bottom of the chest. If the trip home is a long one, you should occasionally stop and drain the ice-melt from the chest. Once you are home, the fish should be processed and frozen as soon as possible.

Failure to promptly ice your catch may result in the flesh having a soft, open texture. Severe deterioration is indicated by a condition called "belly burn" in which the ribs have become separated from the flesh. Inadequate bleeding and delayed gutting will cause blood clots to form in the flesh. Such fish are not suitable for freezing.

Cleaning Your Catch
You need a sharp knife and plenty of clean water. Wash the fish to remove all surface dirt and excess slime. Start by opening the fish's body cavity by cutting along the belly from the vent (anus) to gill collar, taking care not to puncture any internal organs.

Next, cut the gills loose from the backbone at the base of the head, and cut them free from the belly next to the pectoral (lower front) fins. Complete removal of the gills will lengthen its frozen storage life. Detach the lower intestine by cutting around the vent or simply trimming it free.

Holding the fish by its gills, pull the internal organs and other viscera from the body cavity. Lastly, cut the kidney membrane along the backbone and remove the blood by scraping it with your thumbnail or a teaspoon.

Further cleaning of the fish will be determined by the form in which it is to be preserved. The fish may be frozen in this form, or you may wish to skin and/or fillet the fish beforehand.

Nikonian

• Newbies on fishing
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 10:42:24 AM »

Thanks Hook!  That's really informative.

So I think I should bring the cooler along to where I fish ( or at least closer ) to keep the catch in good shape ( but this will be embarrasing if I catch nothing :-[ )

Will have my first fraser trip ( Island 22 ) this Friday afternoon.  See you guys!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 11:16:06 AM »

If you're really thrifty you can ask for free ice at any McDonalds.

Nikonian

• Newbies on fishing
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 12:35:29 PM »

Oh really?  I haven't really fished on Fraser before and just check some maps and Island 22 Park seems to be easily accessible ... so I just pick it in random.  Anyone here can clarify?

Thanks!!!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 12:38:40 PM »

Island 22 severely eroded. Suggest you try another bar.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 12:39:29 PM »

Hook's uncredited cut 'n paste obviously comes from some foreign jurisdiction.
In all my years fishing in BC I have seen just one boat with a live well-that was a Walleye guide on the Columbia River who used a Bass boat to guide with.
In fact it just might be against the law to keep live fish in BC-it's certainly against the law to transport them.
Anyway if it's a Salmonid the first thing you do is cut the gills and bleed the thing-no need to bonk 'em just a quick slash will let the heart keep beating and the blood will pump out.
If it's a Coho in the chuck it should be gutted/gilled right then and there to prevent 'belly burn' and other Salmon should be kept cool and cleaned ASAP.

Nikonian

• Newbies on fishing
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 01:13:11 PM »

Island 22 severely eroded. Suggest you try another bar.

Thanks Fish Assassin.  I gonna find another one then. :-\

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 03:26:01 PM »

Hook's uncredited cut 'n paste obviously comes from some foreign jurisdiction.
In all my years fishing in BC I have seen just one boat with a live well-that was a Walleye guide on the Columbia River who used a Bass boat to guide with.
In fact it just might be against the law to keep live fish in BC-it's certainly against the law to transport them.
Anyway if it's a Salmonid the first thing you do is cut the gills and bleed the thing-no need to bonk 'em just a quick slash will let the heart keep beating and the blood will pump out.
If it's a Coho in the chuck it should be gutted/gilled right then and there to prevent 'belly burn' and other Salmon should be kept cool and cleaned ASAP.

cut the gills and bleed the thing is the NUMBER 1 thing to remember for this entire thread.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 03:39:16 PM »

Hook has good advice.  If you are on the river, bring an old towel that you can dunk in the river to get wet.  Wrap your bled or cleaned fish (do this ASAP) in the towel.  As the water evaporates you get a cooling action known as "refrigeration".  Keep the towel damp, not wet. :D

Island 22 is great if you like standing in 45ft of fast moving water :'(

otto

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 03:42:10 PM »

i use a burlap sack for storing the fish. once the fish are bled and gutted, i place the fish in the burlap sack and dip the entire sack in water. i then hang up the sack in a tree branch to allow the breeze to pass thru the sack and evaporate the water, resulting in very quick and prolonged cooling. i have had temps as low as 4 degrees celsius inside the sack, even on a hot day.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 04:00:19 PM »

Pitt Meadows Farmers co op sells burlap sacks for a buck, works good to keep em wet but I like the hanging idea ;D And yes live wells are not good as it promotes up sizing and transporting live fish, against the regs.I pull out the gills to bleed and kill em, my buddy says this is cruel and I should bonk em first, maybe Im a bit blood thirsty, like my buddy who just pulls the head back(crunch) on smaller salmon, you should see the blood shoot out ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 04:28:08 PM »

I wish I could keep my sack that cool ;D

otto

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 09:09:08 PM »

Grumman...trying fer little grummies???? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hook

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 09:17:56 PM »

Sorry guys I was in a hurry to goto work when I posted the uncredited cut n paste. Its from Alaska.
Just forget the live crap and use a burlap sack.