Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisheries laws and enforcement  (Read 3033 times)

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
Fisheries laws and enforcement
« on: July 26, 2004, 08:11:44 AM »

Over a fairly long period of time there have been posts her concerning who enforces what and where . At Comfederation the Federal Government retained control of establishing laws for anything which might require International agreements . Included are all laws pertaining to fisheries . The Provinces prepare the regulations they wish to have for their inland waters and send them to Ottawa where they are passed by the Feds .Even though they are not all treated as such all federal laws including fisheries offences are criminal laws . Laws and regulations passed by the Provinces , no matter how severe , are not criminal . As far as enforcement is concerned the RCMP is the prime enforcement body for all Federal laws and the Feds pass regulations allowing Provincial Conservation Officers , non-RCMP police officers etc to enforce parts of the criminal laws - eg CO'S Fisheries matters  , other police officers  all criminal laws including Fisheries but as Fisheries is not a major portion of their training very, very seldom touch any resource enforcement .. This is a very brief explanation of a subjuct that can get very involved  Of course DFO fisheries officers are included as prime emforcement officers . I hope this helps explain why there are unexpected people enforcing laws

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
Re:Fisheries laws and enforcement
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 06:15:14 PM »

thanks for the info grandpa, this does clear up a few questions,
but the biggest one still remains,

why??? when we have all these people CAPABLE of enforceing the laws,
ie, DFO, RCMP, CO's, that so many things go un answered.even when we do our job of OBSERVE,RECORD,REPORT, nothing seems to be done about it  :(

i have met and discussed this with a very high ranking official  within DFO through the course of my line of work, and his defence of DFO's reasons for weak enforcement is strictly numbers of officers vs number of people fishing.

i feel that if the fines were larger then the RCMP may take more interest in strolling the beaches and parking lots of our beautiful province ;)

tia cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

otto

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 09:36:09 PM »

oops did'nt mean to cut in with NFR -self edit

;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 11:46:51 PM by otto »

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 05:18:09 PM »

i completley understand fulcram,
thats why i dont like to see our licience money go into general coffers, id rather see it go directly into say conservation authority's hands

but how do we make people think twice before they do something wrong?

1 - more education through sites just like this

2 - would higher fines work ?
  would more people speed on our highways if the fine was only ten dollars ?

3 -????????????????????????????????

cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 06:24:43 PM »

Some good points here but there are some possible reasons that DFO or Conservation Officers seem to not attend a complaint . Sometimes they are in a position they cannot attend - IE many miles away , doing something they can't drop . Maybe the budget is such that they are not permitted to work any overtime , maybe the travel budget is completely spent . Governments keep cutting back on them ( travel budgets )as well as in staff numbers .They may have very large areas to cover , when I was a young C.O. there were large areas of my patrol zone I never saw except from the air the odd time I could liberate a plane . Governments have cut budgets so much that sometimes there just isn't enough travel budget to put fuel in the vehicle to get to the site of a complaint.I know this happened in Ont zand I have heard it happened other places .Sometimes all officers are out of the office and none of them get your complaint for many hours and depending on circumstances they might be away for days . No sense trying to investigate a snagging complaint the day after it happened . Officers certainly don't like not investigating complaints but sometimes it is absolutely impossible to do so . So please if you make a complaint and no action is taken please realise there may be many reasons for lack of action .If you get a chance get to know your local officers , I think you will find some very dedicated people who are also nice people to know .