Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake  (Read 25221 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:06:13 PM »

Just an early notice of the annual Greg Clark Memorial Pike Minnow Derby that will be held once again on the BC Family Fishing Weekend. It again is being organized by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and is offering hundreds of dollars worth of prizes. This year a number of pike minnows will be tagged with cash prizes for the anglers that land them. It is being held on Saturday June 20 this year.

Rodney has been sent the poster and he will post a link to it shortly. ;D

I also will provide more details as well as an update when the derby date gets closer.

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
Re: Pike Minnow Derby At Cultus Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »

My buddy and I will be there! We will attempt to do our part by removing another 170+ pike minnow this year.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »

I'll try and ask for that day off. Hopefully I can come help out again.
Im willing to help with set up and take down as well, or anything else you guys need.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »

Im willing to help with set up and take down as well, or anything else you guys need.
Very good, thanks do you want me to bring the boat so you can go out and fish?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:57:40 AM »

My buddy and I will be there! We will attempt to do our part by removing another 170+ pike minnow this year.
Yes you got a good number last year. Hope you can catch a special tagged one this derby as the are worth a $100 bill each. ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:59:11 AM by chris gadsden »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »

Very good, thanks do you want me to bring the boat so you can go out and fish?

I have a float tube... might be able to bring up my boat too if step-dad lets me have the truck  ;D
Is Owen going to be there again?
I want to try and get some of these guys on the fly, mabe 1 gear rod going while trolling a minnow pattern or woolly bugger.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:32:24 AM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »

Hi Rod
Last Pikeminnow Derby there were many Peamouth Chub, Red-sided Shiners, and Largescale Suckers killed as bycatch. This is unfortunate as these species have a minimal effect on Cultus sockeye survival rates. One assumes they were killed because the anglers mistook them for Northern Pikeminnows.... so, could you post pictures of fish anglers are liable to encounter at this event?

dspot

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »

Hi Rod
Last Pikeminnow Derby there were many Peamouth Chub, Red-sided Shiners, and Largescale Suckers killed as bycatch. This is unfortunate as these species have a minimal effect on Cultus sockeye survival rates. One assumes they were killed because the anglers mistook them for Northern Pikeminnows.... so, could you post pictures of fish anglers are liable to encounter at this event?

I think that even handing out info sheets at the event with those pictures would be helpful.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 04:32:04 PM »

Hi Rod

I think that even handing out info sheets at the event with those pictures would be helpful.
I have been told this is being done for this derby.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 12:53:39 PM »

Thanks for the update Chris.  Do you mean info sheets will be distributed at the derby? or do you mean the Fraser Valley Salmon Society will be posting an identification guide for the various fish species found in Cultus?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »

Thanks for the update Chris.  Do you mean info sheets will be distributed at the derby? or do you mean the Fraser Valley Salmon Society will be posting an identification guide for the various fish species found in Cultus?
Steve was looking after this. I thought they were handing pictures out to those entering the derby.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »

One of the reasons why there is a derby for Pike Minnows.

Opponents bury hatchets to save salmon

Threat to sockeye met by rare unified action

The ProvinceI dropped by Cultus Lake the other day to check out a tip that something fishy was happening.

It was indeed "fishy" — and a unique example of how stakeholders in the usually fractious Fraser River salmon fishery have buried their well-worn hatchets and now work together to save the diminishing Cultus Lake sockeye salmon.

Cultus Lake sockeye are dwarfed by much larger Fraser River groups, such as the Adams River sockeye that number in the millions.

In their best days, returning adult Cultus Lake sockeye totalled only 75,000, says fish biologist Dave Barrett. "Currently, there are only about 1,000 returning," he says.

Unfortunately, the Cultus Lake sockeye return to spawn at precisely the same time as their more numerous Adams River cousins, Barrett says. Because the two groups mix on the return journey, any catch quota that's appropriate for the huge Adams River run could be devastating for the tiny Cultus Lake run.

Conversely, setting a catch quota to help the much smaller Cultus Lake run recover would have significant economic impacts from under-harvesting the Adams River run.

Realizing this, two of the stakeholder groups, who for years were at loggerheads over Fraser River sockeye -- the Commercial Salmon Advisory Board (commercial fishers) and the Sto:lo First Nations -- finally put their heads together.

This led to a groundbreaking agreement several years ago that resulted in formation of the Fraser River Salmon Table Society, a non-profit group dedicated to improving salmon stocks while reducing the political conflicts over the Fraser fishery.

Since then, two other stakeholder groups who also contributed to this fishery conflict — the recreational-fishing sector and conservation groups — have joined the Salmon Table Society.

"We quickly learned that impacts on the young sockeye while they're still in Cultus Lake's fresh water were part of the problem," says Barrett, now the society's president. That's because a particularly voracious predator of young sockeye, the pike minnow, has overrun Cultus Lake.

The society now oversees a Cultus Lake project where, in late spring and early summer, pike minnow are caught by a commercial seiner in a bid to lower their stocks, giving more sockeye smolts a shot at survival.

The project, with the co-operation of the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans, is financed by a $400,000 fund created by the commercial salmon fishery.

"There's no doubt pike minnow are one of the reasons why sockeye stocks here are so low," says Regan Birch, who owns and skippers the seiner working for the society.

Both Birch and Barrett say very early indications show that Cultus Lake sockeye stocks are beginning to improve. Barrett says that the goal is to reduce pike-minnow numbers from around 80,000 to 90,000 to about 30,000. This, hopefully, would result in adult sockeye stocks increasing from 1,000 to about 20,000.

"This project is certainly teaching us a lot more about salmon biology," Barrett adds, "but it's also teaching us how to work together."

blewis@theprovince.com

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 09:12:55 PM »

Can we do Morris Lake next? I'll do my darndest to help with total annihilation of those little #$@! )*(&^^&^^8!

I will slap the antlers on my van, put Minerva on the roof and do my best to lower the scourge. Are motors allowed on Cultus? ( I don't go there much)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 06:25:21 AM by Novabonker »
http://

standalone

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »

I saw thousand of hundreds of them in shallow last weekend.It could be their spawn time.It is really challenge for small salmon to survive in this lake.