Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many steelhead have you landed in 2014 ( Hatch & Wild)

- 69 (46.9%)
1-3
- 34 (23.1%)
3-8
- 18 (12.2%)
10 and above.
- 10 (6.8%)
Well into the double digits.
- 16 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Author Topic: How many steelhead have you landed this year in the lower mainland.  (Read 20144 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: How many steelhead have you landed this year in the lower mainland.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 12:40:26 AM »

When handling a fish especially a wild fish to be released handle it as little and as quickly as you can.

This is great but make damn sure the fish is ready with enough strength before you just release it. It can take a few minutes sometimes, nothing worse than watching a wild fish go belly up because someone didn't try to revive it properly

If you try and try and it isn't reviving then unfortunately you get to feel your heart break as you watch it float away  :'(
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »

I have had a decent year, and was noticing a change. The vedder has changed from last year and seems to not be holding many fish down low in the usual spots. For what ever reason the normal meat holes or runs are scarce and the die hard low river fishers are no where to be seen. Everyone had to switch it up this year and unless you have found a variety of holding spots this year. chances are going to be even lower for a hookup. After 2 trips with my good friend this week I believe the fish are in decent numbers on the river now after that slow start to the year.
Tight lines to all

sandy999

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »

I got one yesterday on the fly, First trip of the season for me

The anglers that I talked to have all said that this the worst year in many years. But you would not think so when you read Fred`s reports.

tburns

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »

This is great but make damn sure the fish is ready with enough strength before you just release it. It can take a few minutes sometimes, nothing worse than watching a wild fish go belly up because someone didn't try to revive it properly

If you try and try and it isn't reviving then unfortunately you get to feel your heart break as you watch it float away  :'(

Is there any secret as to how to revive a fish?  I haven't encountered any guys who have trouble swimming away yet, but I do not want to have that experience at all.  Do you just tail them and let the water flow through their gills until they get enough oxygen?

banx

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 11:16:02 AM »

Is there any secret as to how to revive a fish?  I haven't encountered any guys who have trouble swimming away yet, but I do not want to have that experience at all.  Do you just tail them and let the water flow through their gills until they get enough oxygen?

yes sir,  I usually hold the tail until they try to kick away the second time.... like hook said, seeing them (or any fish) go belly up is heartbreaking.

Drewhill

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 11:21:31 AM »

The anglers that I talked to have all said that this the worst year in many years. But you would not think so when you read Fred`s reports.

It's always the best time of the year to go fishing!!! ... and stop by the store while you're there lol

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »

:)
It's always the best time of the year to go fishing!!! ... and stop by the store while you're there lol
[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 03:49:57 PM »

I like and hate this year, the low river holers are struggling, while the guys that really know how to fish and cover water are doing alright.
The Bigger The Better!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 06:01:58 PM »

I like and hate this year, the low river holers are struggling, while the guys that really know how to fish and cover water are doing alright.
I agree with that Ryan, but what concerns me is the possibility a lot of these wild fish being caught in the mid and upper river are being captured multiple times.  That is of course stressful, and could impact spawning ability and gamete viability.  I believe steelhead are tough fish, but as Bederko recently posted in another thread, maybe not as resilient as we think.

fisharoo

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »

I've lost two this year so far. Landed zilch. Next time I'm not going to multi-task and shoot video and fight the fish at the same time! Eyes on the prize :)

This is my first year fishing steelhead. Luck have it, last time I was out first cast of the day fish on! Been out about 5 times this year.

Drewhill

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 11:31:36 PM »

I've lost two this year so far. Landed zilch. Next time I'm not going to multi-task and shoot video and fight the fish at the same time! Eyes on the prize :)

This is my first year fishing steelhead. Luck have it, last time I was out first cast of the day fish on! Been out about 5 times this year.

If this is your first year and you've had two on in 5 trips you're doing alright.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 08:08:22 AM »

If this is your first year and you've had two on in 5 trips you're doing alright.
Not saying it's not true or questioning any of the preceding posts but sometimes others...
Well....
There have been a number of bulls caught this year so it is quite possible the fish causing the tug was other than Steelhead.
...and...
there is also a certain amount of bulls..* that rears its head through excited expectation (or on purpose ::) )

What is a lost fish?

A float that goes under that you were late for? (fish or hitting bottom?)
If it was a fish; would that be a lost fish or a missed opportunity?
Was there a splash or some real headshakes?

(Note:" excited expectation " aka exaggeration. )

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »

I know for myself, on the Vedder or any other river that has species other than steelhead, I do not call it a steelhead until it either breaches the water completely and is visible, or is near enough to the bank that I can 100% identify it as a steelhead.

If I hook a fish on the Vedder that I don't see, I automatically assume it's a bull. If it's on another river (such as some on the island with large rainbows, browns or early chinook). I know lots of guys that do that whole "float down = lost fish" type of thing which is quite amusing. I have a feeling some certain guides on the island do that with their "4-8 steelhead days", especially this season. Also surprises me how many guides on the stamp call the large resident rainbow's steelhead!

After my trip back home this past week... I'm now at 7 trips and 7 steelhead on the mainland myself, Kitty included in that adds another 2 steelhead - so 9 steel in 7 trips. Up to close to 20 hookups with assumed bulls as well - have landed 16 of those which were bulls, Kitty adds another 6 or so. Fishing out there is definitely better than out here on the island!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 08:28:36 PM by Every Day »

firebird

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »

Also surprises me how many guides on the stamp call the large residents rainbows!
Did you mean to say "call the large residents steelhead"? The resident O. mykiss should be called rainbows.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »

Did you mean to say "call the large residents steelhead"? The resident O. mykiss should be called rainbows.

Yep that's what I meant! Constantly calling the 18 inch rainbows steelhead....