Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why you ware a wader  (Read 4579 times)

wjlz

Why you ware a wader
« on: October 29, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

Hi,

I want to learn fishing salmon, so I watch some video clips. I found many people wear waders in the river. Many of them are not too far from the edge of the water. My NAIVE question is: if I can use a heavier sinker and cast my lure further, do you really need to go into the water?

What kind (brand?) of wader do you wear please?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: Why you ware a wader
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »

Waders aren't necessary to fish, but they are certainly helpful and in many cases not just for you - but also for the fish!

Things some people don't like about waders:
- cost... good waders aren't cheap and can cost upwards of $400, though you can get waders that will work for closer to $150-$200
- comfort... some people find them too cold (breathables) or too warm (neoprenes) - but then again it's all what you wear with them

Things people DO like about waders:
- comfort... easy to stay dry and warm in cold wet weather, even if you're not going in the water (I sometimes wear my waders in a boat for fishing)
- convenience... crossing that small channel is suddenly much easier in waders than it was wearing gumboots ;)
- fish respect... being IN the water allows you to release fish quickly and safely without having to drag them up on the sand/rocks of the beach

These are just a few things to consider.  Realistically though, if you're fishing rivers you SHOULD be at least considering wearing waders.  They'll keep you warm and dry, you'll be able to fish spots you wouldn't have otherwise been able to fish, and you'll be able to handle / release any fish you aren't keeping much more efficiently.

Good luck!
Tex

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:20:13 AM »

While many locations do not require wading in order to cast, there are still several very good reasons why you want to wear waders:
1. You will often need to cross side channels to get where you want to go. Wet feet in the fall isn't fun.
2. It is almost impossible to properly land a wild fish from shore without getting wet.
Do not drag wild fish or fish that you will release onto the beach (this includes Chum).
Do not tire the fish out until you can pop the hook out without getting your toes wet.

Keep fish to be released in the water. Often it is easier to land a fish in 1 foot of water since they tend to go mental once their belly hits the rocks.

I wear Simms G3 waders. They are pricey but are worth it for the comfort and toughness.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »

I echo the thoughts above.

Like Tex, I wear mine for a lot of things. The schooling I'm doing requires us to do lots of field work and many times I just use my waders and boots with vibram soles instead of putting on rain gear. I even do it out in the bush sometimes when it's raining hard, just put on full out fishing gear and I stay a lot drier and warmer than the people wearing rain gear.

I also like using them out in boats on the ocean (especially when it's raining). Pretty much any time that I don't want to get soaking wet I will throw the waders on.

As said above good waders can be expensive.

I recently changed to Frog Toggs though, after having trouble with every other set of waders I have ever had. You can only get them in the states, but they are cheap and some of the best waders on the market IMO. I bought two pairs (one was $69 and the other $129). The $69 ones lasted 2 years before the seams started seeping a bit, I coated the seams and they are still good to go. The $129 ones are still going strong. Keep in mind I fish probably around 150 times a year, and add on the times I use them in the bush for class. They get beat up really good (especially in the bush) and I still haven't ripped them or made them leak (the only thing that has happened is I have pretty much ripped the gravel guards off at this point). If I was recommending a first pair of breathables for someone, it would definitely be Frogg Toggs...

Cheers,
Dan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:30:16 AM by Every Day »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »

I highly recommend getting a set of waders as others have said.  You can get into the game for ~$100 and then decide where you want to go from there.

I am on my second season with a set of $70 Cabelas  in the US.  5mm neoprene "house brand" waders with $30 boots from the bargain cave with free shipping.  Shipped them to Hagens of Blaine, paid them the $5 charge and away I went.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-5mm-Stockingfoot-Waders-Regular/721046.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D80%26Ns%3DMIN_SALE_PRICE%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwaders%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dwaders%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts&Ntt=waders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Trust us, you want waders.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

ALWAYS wear a belt with waders around water. Be it in a boat, float tube or even the river.
Once those waders fill up with water you may as well have 20lb lead weights in your shoes.
Waders almost killed my dad on the stamp years ago when his pontoon boat flipped.
Even with a belt on his waders filled with water but the belt slowed it down enough for him to safely get to shore.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: Why do you wear waders when fishing?
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »

Hi,
I want to learn fishing salmon, so I watch some video clips. I found many people wear waders in the river. Many of them are not too far from the edge of the water. My NAIVE question is: if I can use a heavier sinker and cast my lure further, do you really need to go into the water?
What kind (brand?) of wader do you wear please?
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If I'm casting lures with my spinning reel;  (there is an informative thread on this on the next page about Vibrax spinners)
I dont want to add any extra weight, it will sink my lure to the bottom faster and snag up, and probably affect the action of the lure.
if you are fishing a long sloping shallow run it will help to wade out a foot or two just to keep your lure in the zone and let you retrieve it slow and not hang up on bottom.
You will also be able to bring a fish close in and ID it, release it etc without dragging it out of the water, Very important.
You may be able to do this in rubber boots and better yet hip waders but chest waders will keep you dry all day long, warmer and if you snag on bottom you can wade out a little ways at least and maybe get your lure back.
Do not wade deeply, it is very risky.
I wear Bare breathables, Addams, and before that Blackwaters.The Blackwaters never lasted more than one season in three pairs.
Good boots make a difference as well.

Also, videos are good, but to learn fishing I found it most productive to socialize network and get involved.
I learn from others all the time.

Pin-nook

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:25:20 PM »

I personally feel that if you are river fishing that you should be wearing waders of some sort or a high boot that you can at least stand in a few inches of water. I've seen it all too much where a person not wearing waders dags a fish onto a sandy beach or rocks not wanting to get wet only to throw the fish back. It's not just the non- wader wearing people that do this cause I've also seen the Simms wearing pro wearing full chest waders not wanting to go at least shin deep so they drag the fish a shore.

I know there are situations where it's pointless to wear waders(non-wadable spots) but seriously if you aren't going to kill the fish how will you be able to keep the fish in water without standing in it1

aaron.az

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »

Waders become a very personal preference, personally i own a pair of bare clearwaters and enjoy them for float tubing. end of the day your looking for comfort and staying dry.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 01:28:23 PM »

One thing to remember: wearing waders doesn't mean you HAVE to wade in up to your hips or waist to cast. More often than not, I see ignorant anglers in waders standing in the river where the fish should be holding. All they do is push the fish out and interfere with their fellow anglers' drifts.
Please don't become one of those people.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 01:50:58 PM »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »

One thing to remember: wearing waders doesn't mean you HAVE to wade in up to your hips or waist to cast. More often than not, I see ignorant anglers in waders standing in the river where the fish should be holding. All they do is push the fish out and interfere with their fellow anglers' drifts.
YES!
Most cases you do not need to stand in the water at all. You can cast your presentation very far...the river is not that wide and you really dont need to be casting to the other shore anyways. The fish can see you standing in the water. Fish travel in all depths of water, standing waste deep is standing in a travel lane...somewhere you or other anglers could be fishing.
I wear waders to stay dry, cross tail outs and land fish in the water.

IMO do not buy waders with the built in rubber boots. you're going to slip and break something. first pair you can get a set of neos for $100 and boots for 50

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 04:11:42 PM »

simple, I keep dry!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »

all the reasons above....besides protecting you from the elements, it helps to keep you relatively clean.

bcguy

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:13 PM »

Two thumbs up on this statement
More often than not, its just to get you to where you want to fish, not actually fishing.
If you were on the Chehailis this weekend and hiked down below, you would know exactly what I mean  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:54:24 PM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB