Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wicked Tuna: are you wataching it?  (Read 2842 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Wicked Tuna: are you wataching it?
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »

Premiered this week. A little over the top in the human drama, but very interesting from a fishing perspective as they are using rod and reel to commercially fish huge bluefin tuna.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Wicked Tuna: are you wataching it?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »

I've watched a bunch of the episodes on Hulu. Very cool show! The fishermen however are a bunch of dinks imo.....pounding there chest with testosterone filled  bravado as they fish these Tuna into extinction. They have an old school approach with very little respect for the fish. It should be quite controversial considering that it is a National Geographic show with the only aspect of conservation being the fact that they are using a selective technique to kill fish after fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 12:27:04 AM »

Saw the opening episode. Can't believe the captain deliberately giving the wrong coordinates to another captain where the tuna are biting. Is this another one of those so called "reality shows" or is staged ?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:01:56 AM »

My wife thinks there is more drama and whining on this show than on the bachelor !!
I like the fishing aspect of it but it is kind of like watching a soap opera for men, I also have a hard time believing that a 150 pound tuna undressed is worth $3000

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »

I also have a hard time believing that a 150 pound tuna undressed is worth $3000

Try $700K+ for a 600 lb fish:

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/fishermans-fortune-736-700-tuna-175318931.html

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »

Saw the opening episode. Can't believe the captain deliberately giving the wrong coordinates to another captain where the tuna are biting. Is this another one of those so called "reality shows" or is staged ?

If I had a fleet of donkeys Just following me around riding on my back I would try to get rid of them too.
The other fishermen are pretty open to the fact they're just following that one boats lead.
If you had a honey hole would you go tell everyone where it was?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »

engineered!
same as the so called ice truckers and the gold prospectors/mining. watched the tail end of the show , that skipper that gives wrong directions/cords, should watch out, what happens when you cry for help. as for the trawler skipper, If true as shown he'd be in cuff's now, somehow, i think it was scripted as well. If you cut away all the bs there is probably only a couple of minutes of real info or action.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

mko72

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »

I work in post production and although these shows are not "staged" or scripted, they are heavily influenced by the producers in the field, and in this case on the boat.  The team goes out shooting, then they transcribe all the interviews and footage into a word document and a professional story editor comes in a does a "paper edit" which basically means they create a script based on their footage.  Then when they edit the footage together, the editor looks for cutaways to use because that's how Hollywood edits their movies, by cutting away to someones reaction. That is why the lighting and sound in reality shows (like Real Housewives) often doesn't match in reaction shots, because it's a cutaway of a reaction from five minutes later. Know what I mean?

So, it's not totally staged but the story is so heavily massaged by outsiders that it's not really real.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »

If I had a fleet of donkeys Just following me around riding on my back I would try to get rid of them too.
The other fishermen are pretty open to the fact they're just following that one boats lead.
If you had a honey hole would you go tell everyone where it was?

That fleet of donkeys must be pretty dumb to believe the captain actually gave them the true coordinates to his money hole. You would have learned that the 1st time