Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whyte Lake, near horseshoe bay  (Read 11745 times)

qescott

Whyte Lake, near horseshoe bay
« on: September 29, 2011, 08:29:53 PM »

I've been scouting some places to fly fish near my area (Horseshoe bay, West Vancouver) and I've stumbled upon Whyte Lake. After talking to some people I've found out that it is indeed fish-able and the fish inhabiting the lake are Cutthroat trout. I'm just curious if anyone else has been fishing at this lake, what's been successful, if it's fly fishing friendly and ect, any general information really.
Thanks in advance.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Whyte Lake, near horseshoe bay
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »

Small lake with some small fish. Nice hike though from the parking area by upper levels. Really hard get good fly fishing in except for one spot. Hike around the thing for some casting spots. Fish seemed bigger 35 years ago though.Area was closed years back for a long time as it was considered a watershed. Nice to be able to go back there just for the old times party spot it use to be.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

qescott

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »

Small lake with some small fish. Nice hike though from the parking area by upper levels. Really hard get good fly fishing in except for one spot. Hike around the thing for some casting spots. Fish seemed bigger 35 years ago though.Area was closed years back for a long time as it was considered a watershed. Nice to be able to go back there just for the old times party spot it use to be.
Sounds like fun, as for tackle; spinners, spoons, bait, flies.. what's working?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:55:05 PM »

Tiny spoon for tiny fish is my go too. Small rod too as your casting right by trees. I would use small amount of weight to get it too where the fish are. I don't like using bait if I'm not keeping those small fish. Like I say there is one area I found that allowed you to get some fly casts in.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:43:36 PM »

thats a watershed! keep out!

StillAqua

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »

If I recall correctly, there is a floating dock there you can cast off but I've never fished it. 
Fishhunter...you must be thinking of Eagle Lake. Whyte Lake is a major dog walking destination.....

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »

http://www.pskf.ca/ecology/watershed/westvan/nelson.htm

West Van took the area out of the old keep out status to recreation. Maybe to put some subdivisions up theredown the road. Seems there is more concern for Nelson creek to be a fish habitat again.

jimmywits

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »

The perimeter of Eagle lake is fenced off completely and there used to be security posted there.

qescott

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »

Alright, I went today at dusk for an hour or so and hooked one about a foot long. I got him on some artificial roe on a little trout rod. Found a good spot for fly fishing, just wondering if the fish get any bigger, and what patterns I should try.
Thanks again

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »

Foot long trout out of there is a champ. You'll only be going back to remember the big one of 2011.

RG

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »

Try a wooly bugger, black or olive or combo of the two.

danf

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »

Fished a couple hours at Whyte Lake this morning.  Lots of bites early on but only landed a couple of tiny rainbows.  Woolly buggers cast from the (semi) floating dock.  Decent back casting space from the dock if you take advantage of the areas with low brush.

Once everyone shows up with dogs, etc. the day is pretty much done, although I hooked up with one right after a golden retriever got out of the water. 

Seems like a nice spot to relax and get a few casts in when no one is around. 

qescott

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 03:55:36 PM »

Fished a couple hours at Whyte Lake this morning.  Lots of bites early on but only landed a couple of tiny rainbows.  Woolly buggers cast from the (semi) floating dock.  Decent back casting space from the dock if you take advantage of the areas with low brush.

Once everyone shows up with dogs, etc. the day is pretty much done, although I hooked up with one right after a golden retriever got out of the water. 

Seems like a nice spot to relax and get a few casts in when no one is around. 
I'm pretty sure the fish up at whyte lake are Cutthroat. Could be wrong though.