Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Steelhead Steaks & Fillets on Grocery Store Shelf  (Read 7971 times)

mykisscrazy

Re: Wild Steelhead Steaks & Fillets on Grocery Store Shelf
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »

"This band does an excellent job of maintaining and managing the steelhead population in the River, they raise steelhead in a well run hatchery facility and cater to hundreds of recreational steelheaders, the only catch being,  the Quinault fishery is only available to non-native steelheaders if you hire and are in the company of a Native Guide. This Fishery is unique and seems to work very well. With what has turned out to be a large and thriving population of steelhead the Quinault first nations have engaged in the commercial sale of their fish, many of which end up in B.C. stores
If we were ever so lucky to have a Provincial Government appreciate or even recognize the social and economic potential of maintaining sound populations of anadromous species, we might one day find ourselves fishing over populations that are greater than a few hundred. What we offer here in British Columbia is nothing short of embarrassing"

Ksan, I'm surprised no one has jumped on you with what you have said.
I think people in the US are used to this sort of access restriction as their whole society since the beginning is based on Private Property and limiting Access to rivers, lakes and land.
Personally, I would not like it, and I wouldn't take part. Just like I'm not going to spend the $$ visiting Douglas Lake Ranch to fish their private hatchery enhanced ponds. As well, the Quinault as you said is on the Olympic Penninsula, which is a few hours (I think) from a major urban centre. Take a ferry over to Vancouver Island and drive three hours, I'd say the steelheading is just as good if not better (if you know where to go) and it's access is unrestricted, oh and the majority of fish are wild, not of hatchery origin.

That's my opinion

SEWS

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »

Hi everyone!  I was advised to come check out this thread, and give some info on this topic.

The Quinault River, as mentioned above, is managed by the Quinault tribe.  The Quinaults heavily market their wild steelhead as sustainable, and point to their heavy hatchery supplementation as the reason for the sustainable commercial harvest.  However, hatchery supplementation is far from a good thing.  Scientific studies have shown that hatchery supplementation adversely affects native stocks.  Furthermore, commercial harvest is performed with gill nets, which net both hatchery fish, as well as the native stocks that have been listed as "depressed" by the salmon stock inventory (SaSi).  To put it bluntly;  they are managing this river as a fish farm, not as a functioning wild fish habitat.

I run a website/blog that serves as a sort of home base for information on steelhead harvest:  http://www.stopeatingwildsteelhead.com

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »

If you dont agree with it then dont buy the product. Alot of elderly and disabled people who cannot get out and catch one for the table will be able to purchase this product and enjoy it for what it is.Ive seen the product at Granville Isle market as well.

Dogbreath

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »

Not big on the taste of Steelhead m'self it's my least favourite Salmonid.

SEWS

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »

If you dont agree with it then dont buy the product. Alot of elderly and disabled people who cannot get out and catch one for the table will be able to purchase this product and enjoy it for what it is.Ive seen the product at Granville Isle market as well.
You are correct, Dennis.  However, most people would not be able to tell the difference between a steelhead, and a coho salmon taken from a healthy stock.  You and I may know there's a slight difference, but once prepared, the difference is minimal.  The fact is that these fragile stocks of wild steelhead cannot support commercial harvest. 

ksan

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 09:15:42 PM »

The fact is that these fragile stocks of wild steelhead cannot support commercial harvest. 

As a generality who could argue with the above statement,  that said it would seem that the first nations  commercial harvest of augmented Quinault Steelhead is quite sustainable. I'm fairly certain no ones suggesting it's OK to commercially harvest any fragile wild stock of steelhead  Even though the Quinault Tribal  Community nets 24/7 steelhead escapement allows for a very viable sport fishery.

Let's not loose sight of the fact that the Quinalt situation is what it is!  I for one have fished this system and really enjoyed the professionalism exhibited by my Guide.

I`ve had friends compare thier successes on the Quinault to Late 70`s and early 80`s Northern Vancouver Island trips

trips that I myself enjoyed on many a winter weekend

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »

Hi everyone!  I was advised to come check out this thread, and give some info on this topic.

The Quinault River, as mentioned above, is managed by the Quinault tribe.  The Quinaults heavily market their wild steelhead as sustainable, and point to their heavy hatchery supplementation as the reason for the sustainable commercial harvest.  However, hatchery supplementation is far from a good thing.  Scientific studies have shown that hatchery supplementation adversely affects native stocks.  Furthermore, commercial harvest is performed with gill nets, which net both hatchery fish, as well as the native stocks that have been listed as "depressed" by the salmon stock inventory (SaSi).  To put it bluntly;  they are managing this river as a fish farm, not as a functioning wild fish habitat.

I run a website/blog that serves as a sort of home base for information on steelhead harvest:  http://www.stopeatingwildsteelhead.com

I am not a member of First Nations, or anyway affiliated with them, but I think SEWS approach on steelhead harvest by Quinault Tribe from a purely environmental or economic perspective is missing an important point that there is a historical legacy which we have all inherited with regard to First Nations/Native American resource allocation rights. 

SEWS

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 08:20:27 AM »

New data will be released after the 2012 Salmon Stock Inventory.  As you can see, the Quinault is not in the best of shape.

mr.pink

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »

i have seen wild steelhead in IGA also before and in pricesmart, both in Cloverdale. but havent seen steelhead in pricesmart for a couple months now, which is a good thing maybe they had to many complaints. And no there not always chrome bars at IGA   ???

i asked at the iga where i shop they are farmed...

Dogbreath

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 12:37:35 PM »

i asked at the iga where i shop they are farmed...
They raise them on the prairies somewhere and even in Newfoundland!

And now Newfies are up in arms because escaped Steelies and being found in local rivers and given the precarious state of Atlantic Salmon stocks there is cause for concern.

So it very much depends who's ox is being gored.