Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Steelhead Steaks & Fillets on Grocery Store Shelf  (Read 7976 times)

Throwin Plastic

Wild Steelhead Steaks & Fillets on Grocery Store Shelf
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »

While grabbing some snacks after work today i noticed Wild Steelhead for sale in the meat department (Lots of it)
 Whats the story ? Last time i checked Steelhead was endangered or close to it.
 IGA is a Large Chain Grocery Store Common In B.C. i wonder how many of thier other stores are selling it aswell.
 Does our stupid government actually give out Commercial Liscences to fish them ?
 Last time i shopped i noticed Farmed Atlantic Salmon on the shelf, although it was Labeled "Fresh Atlantic Salmon"
 Now Wild Steelhead right beside it!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:06:43 AM by Rodney »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Wild Steelhead Steaks & Fillets on Grocery Store Shelf
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »

which store?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

doja

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:58:17 PM »

I believe it is called "by-catch" and there is an allowable amount entitled.

Nitroholic

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:01:32 PM »

most likely farmed rainbows

Throwin Plastic

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »

They are not Rainbows !
They are Large Bars Of Chrome my Brother !

Throwin Plastic

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:15:52 PM »

It Just Pisses me off to see both on the shelf period.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »

If they are not farmed steelhead, then they are likely by-catch as doja mentioned.
As steelhead don't normally school in large numbers like salmon, I think it's unlikely that commercial fisherman will specifically target steelhead in the ocean.
It won't make sense to toss by-catch overboard for steelhead.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »

More than likely it's from the US. Costco has "steelheads" for sale all the time.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 09:12:42 PM »

superstore has steelhead, might come from ontario or u.s.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 07:11:40 AM »

Don't worry about it.
It's not like COSTCO or others are sneaking out to the Veddar at night to stock the shelves with the fish you're after.
If it's not farmed it's surplus.

And Note: Wild in the retail world is different than WILD in the angling world.
Wild in the retail world would include hatchery and there are a number of systems that produce and release a lot.

Also,  the word FRESH simply means not previously frozen; it has nothing to do with where it came from.
Some stores may (accidentally) mislabel, and some may mislabel accidentally on purpose (though I wouldn't expect that from a large chain).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:24:06 AM by Fish or cut bait. »

Spooner

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »

I believe the commecial guys in the States are allowed "By-Catch"!!?

Or do they have a Brand name WILD? ::)

ksan

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 11:03:30 AM »

Steelhead has been sold in BC stores for quite some time. A possible source of these steelhead might be the Quinault River in Washington State. The Quinault is located on the Olympic peninsula and for the most; its management is under the Control of the Quinault first nations. This band does an excellent job of maintaining and managing the steelhead population in the River, they raise steelhead in a well run hatchery facility and cater to hundreds of recreational steelheaders, the only catch being,  the Quinault fishery is only available to non-native steelheaders if you hire and are in the company of a Native Guide. This Fishery is unique and seems to work very well. With what has turned out to be a large and thriving population of steelhead the Quinault first nations have engaged in the commercial sale of their fish, many of which end up in B.C. stores
If we were ever so lucky to have a Provincial Government appreciate or even recognize the social and economic potential of maintaining sound populations of anadromous species, we might one day find ourselves fishing over populations that are greater than a few hundred. What we offer here in British Columbia is nothing short of embarrassing

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »

i have seen wild steelhead in IGA also before and in pricesmart, both in Cloverdale. but havent seen steelhead in pricesmart for a couple months now, which is a good thing maybe they had to many complaints. And no there not always chrome bars at IGA   ???
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

anorden

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »

Aquaculture for steelies is pretty big business, they usually raise them in saltwater cages just like farmed salmon.

I would guess that the supply of by steelhead catch is too small and unreliable for the likes of IGA, Costco etc. Might be a different story with smaller independent grocery stores or even fishmongers though.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 06:34:40 AM »

Steelhead has been sold in BC stores for quite some time. A possible source of these steelhead might be the Quinault River in Washington State. The Quinault is located on the Olympic peninsula and for the most; its management is under the Control of the Quinault first nations. This band does an excellent job of maintaining and managing the steelhead population in the River, they raise steelhead in a well run hatchery facility and cater to hundreds of recreational steelheaders, the only catch being,  the Quinault fishery is only available to non-native steelheaders if you hire and are in the company of a Native Guide. This Fishery is unique and seems to work very well. With what has turned out to be a large and thriving population of steelhead the Quinault first nations have engaged in the commercial sale of their fish, many of which end up in B.C. stores

I checked with a friend of mine at one of the major seafood suppliers in town and this (above) is where they come from.