Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2 or 3 feet medium speed water?  (Read 2531 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
2 or 3 feet medium speed water?
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:32:37 AM »

just wanted to know if 2 or 3 feet medium speed water is ideal for steelhead hunting?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: 2 or 3 feet medium speed water?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:35:20 AM »

sounds like perfect steelie water to me. I hooked one about 8lbs in about 10inches of water once  :o couldnt believe it LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 06:01:23 PM »

I have hooked a Steelhead in less than 8 inches of water. Last season I had a birds nest and after I fixed it I started reeling my line in (which had swung in close to the edge). About 5 ft into the retreive I see a wake and a Small 6 pound hatchery grabbed my colorado and put up a great fight before being landed and released. I couldnt beleive that a Steelhead would have its back out of the water after all I had heard of them being spooky, etc. Ever since then I fish ALL water that looks like it may hold a fish, even if it is only 8 or so inches deep, you may be surprised what you learn.

I would say in these conditions right now since there is not much vis... Tailouts around 2-3 feet deep and the edges are the best bets. You will also probably find quite a few in slicks. In the upper I am fishing chop as the clarity is much better, but it does not have to be deep to be holding fish.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 07:48:40 PM »

i saw more than a few fish hooked today in 2.5 ft of water today  ::) , as long as u cant see bottom.
Fish killer 101

bladerunner

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »

2 to 4 feet deep and walking speed is perfect.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:40:07 AM »

Everyday, your fish probably followed your spinner and hit in the shallows.  Im sorry but fishing in 8 inches of water is not going to be productive nor will many steelhead sit in 8 inches of water.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:45:05 AM »

Everyday, your fish probably followed your spinner and hit in the shallows.  Im sorry but fishing in 8 inches of water is not going to be productive nor will many steelhead sit in 8 inches of water.

Absolutely, catching a steelie in 8 inches is definitely the exception rather than the norm.

river walker

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »

iv seen them lay in a foot with chop, i could see 8 " if the fish was moving .  Plus steelhead are dumb enough to hit your float top.
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 06:15:25 PM »

Well first of all the blade was sitting there for a good 3-5 minutes. So he must have been sitting ready to "pounce" for a while. Secondly I have been told by a few ery good rods to always fish the edges, even shallow crap that you may not expect them to be in. Sure it is not "the norm" but every fish counts so the exceptions are always a nice surprise.