Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Roe ..got some what now?  (Read 15957 times)

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
Pink Roe ..got some what now?
« on: September 19, 2005, 10:37:59 AM »

I've been fishing most of my life but am quite new to salmon fishing. Decided to make a

commitment to it this year,and have landed several Pinks.

My goal is to try and land at least one of each of the four major salmon species this fall and I

suspect some good roe may play a major part.

Seems like everyone has their preferences for treating their roe, and their secrets too. Hoping

some of you may share some basic info.

I've frozen some already straight up in brown freezer paper under a friends recommendation but

have seen postings dictating otherwise.Any tips would be good ones :-\
As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Pink Roe ..got some what now?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:51:25 AM »

Well you are going to have to cure it.  For this I just lay it out opened up on a srcreen skin side up.  I leave mine out in the air for at least ten hrs.  Then cut it up into quarter sized pcs, and throw it in borax.  You can use procure or color it as well, but I've found that natural, with no added color works the best for me.  But everyone has there own way of doing it.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 11:11:56 AM »

I just use borax on my pink roe. With chinook or chum roe I prefer ProCure and my secret recipe.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 12:16:48 PM »

I just cure some roe and ionno i think its screwed up i followed the directions perfectly on the back of the tub that i got of borax/pro cure stuff. Then i tried it for about 12 hours and its still soft! it wont even freaking go on a hook it just explodes and thats it but its firm enough to tie into a sack so gona have to do that. Anyone have any ideas what happend. I used 2 cups of the mix 1 cup sugar , 1 cup salt and 2 liters of water. Left the roe in the cure for about 2 hours then dried it.
[

No_way

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 12:28:33 PM »

I just cure some roe and ionno i think its screwed up i followed the directions perfectly on the back of the tub that i got of borax/pro cure stuff. Then i tried it for about 12 hours and its still soft! it wont even freaking go on a hook it just explodes and thats it but its firm enough to tie into a sack so gona have to do that. Anyone have any ideas what happend. I used 2 cups of the mix 1 cup sugar , 1 cup salt and 2 liters of water. Left the roe in the cure for about 2 hours then dried it.

The first think I noticed is that you used water?  I've never heard of it.  I have always been very simple with my roe.  If I'm using borax, then I just use borax.  If I'm salting the roe, I just use salt.  Both salt and borax are used to take water out of the roe.  Perhaps it's this "mix" you write of, water might just be part of the instructions for it, but that is my guess.  And I always cure for at least 24 hours.

If you're new to curing roe, start simple.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 12:41:32 PM »

Ya floater what the heck is the water for, you r tryin to get the moisture out not in :D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 01:03:16 PM »

I think Floater is using a brine cure. Drain your eggs and lay them out on paper towel to dry overnight. Should be OK. (I think !)

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 01:03:59 PM »

Even thsi site says use freaking water! ahh what the heck so just borax die and salt on the roe works?
[

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 01:04:49 PM »

I think Floater is using a brine cure. Drain your eggs and lay them out on paper towel to dry overnight. Should be OK. (I think !)
I did it didnt work the roe isant hard enough you cant hook it like i said.
[

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 02:15:05 PM »

Thanks guys. I think for now I'll keep it simple and Borax it when I pull it out, everyone seems to

agree on that. Once I get that down I'll look into some other treatments. But how long will it keep

once dried and boraxed, and is it o.k. to freeze??... and if it is should I dry it before I freeze it??

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 02:35:11 PM »

Have you tried fishing it in a bait loop either on its own or using spawn sacks?
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 03:01:04 PM »

Thanks guys. I think for now I'll keep it simple and Borax it when I pull it out, everyone seems to

agree on that. Once I get that down I'll look into some other treatments. But how long will it keep

once dried and boraxed, and is it o.k. to freeze??... and if it is should I dry it before I freeze it??

Yes, you can freeze it. No problems

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 03:03:40 PM »

You don't want it to be "hard". Biffchan has a good suggestion in using it as roe bags.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 05:48:22 PM »

You don't want it to be "hard". Biffchan has a good suggestion in using it as roe bags.
I know im gona do that either way but how do some people use the roe right on the hook cuz right now i cant hook mine on and its been drying in borax for liek 12 hours.
[

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 05:56:42 PM »

In my original post I said 4 species instead of five. Surprised no one said anything.Anyhow I never

planned on getting any Sockeye.I'm not big on flossing.