Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buddy got a ticket from DFO; this make sense?  (Read 16077 times)

poper

Re: Buddy got a ticket from DFO; this make sense?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »

Makes sense. ID is good to have when a CO or RCMP sees you have a firearm or bow with you.

It won't be long before we all have a readable ID chip imbedded under our skin or retina scan for official tracking or verification. buy a license and the info gets uploaded to your readable database. Then they can scan you from above by drones or even satellite. Maybe they already can. Did you ever get a dental filling? Do you ever experience ringing in your ears? All possible signs you may be tracked without your knowledge.
Ok now, time to put the pipe down and breath some air,  😂

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »

Makes sense. ID is good to have when a CO or RCMP sees you have a firearm or bow with you.

It won't be long before we all have a readable ID chip imbedded under our skin or retina scan for official tracking or verification. buy a license and the info gets uploaded to your readable database. Then they can scan you from above by drones or even satellite. Maybe they already can. Did you ever get a dental filling? Do you ever experience ringing in your ears? All possible signs you may be tracked without your knowledge.
I hear voices in my head...does that count? ???

Staying on topic, the fishing license means nothing without proof of residence (Govt. Issued ID). I was checked three times in my 16 years fishing in Canada. Two times I was asked to produce ID. The CO was following procedure.
Your buddy is SOL.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »

I have been checked numerous times by both CO, DFO and even the RCMP. Not once have I been asked to produce ID

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »

Ok now, time to put the pipe down and breath some air,  😂

;D ;D ;D

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »

Interesting. I reviewed both the freshwater regulations synopsis and the tidal sportfishing guide. Both make mention (in almost the same wording) of needing to produce a license if requested by an officer, but no mention of also needing to produce ID. Maybe it's located in the actual Acts or Regulations, and not in the synopsis or guide, but that would be surprising. Sounds like there's more to this than meets the eye and as DanL said, it would be interesting to find out what section of the act or regs he was cited to be in violation of.

mcallagan

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »

What if you do not have a driver's license?
Does this mean you can not fish or hunt?

I think that that is bogus!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2017, 10:25:14 PM »

What if you do not have a driver's license?
Does this mean you can not fish or hunt?

I think that that is bogus!

Don't be childish. You have to  have government issued ID. Nobody said it has to be a driver's license. It can be a BC service card, health card, PR card or passport.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2017, 10:34:36 PM »

The purpose of asking anglers to produce a photo ID with the licence is to ensure non-residents are not buying licences for residents.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »

Are you the guy I see drinking the water out of mill lake while he's fishing?

Tylsie

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 11:01:01 PM »

From passed ecperience, though not exactly the same as this, thr ticket should be for failure to produce ID not fishing without a license. To seperate charges. I woukd fight it.

But as others have said, the intent is to show residency. But it raises a valid question.  I have all sorts of ID without my address on it (passport, birth certificate, PAL, and other stuff) that is legal. What would happen if, say if bought a bc residents license as well as salmon/steelhead tags but only had my passport. The difference between a residents cost and a non residents is close to $100.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »

Who brings a passport fishing ? ;)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »

Unfortunately it is written somewhere on the synopsis. I remember coming across it when I purchased my tidal license online. I think though they should have it written directly on the license if they deem it mandatory.... also the ticket should be allowed to be retracted or reduced upon proof of id at a later date....They do it with the driver's license so why not with fishing.

bobby b

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 12:18:07 AM »

A few years back had to show my license ....forgot to sign it.
CO had me sign it...then asked for Drivers Lic. ....he stated it was "to compare signatures....anyone could have printed this".
He checked and was on his way..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:19:48 AM by bobby b »

bobby b

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 12:27:48 AM »

If he had no ID, then is hard to prove the license belonged to him.

The way I would think/hope it goes is.... the CO is hedging a bet.
 No ID so the CO gives a ticket for fishing without license.... you prove it was you later and it gets reduced or voided... If one produced a license and no ID because they knew the  ID would not match....then they are by default.. busted. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:30:06 AM by bobby b »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 08:39:20 AM »

Who brings a passport fishing ? ;)
Us 'Mericans!  That's who!  I have been asked for ID with my fishing license before, but I always assumed it was because I was a non-resident (although considering I am already purchasing the most expensive license, it wouldn't be to make sure I am buying the correct fishing license). I have also been asked for my fishing license when crossing the border.