Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buddy got a ticket from DFO; this make sense?  (Read 16086 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Buddy got a ticket from DFO; this make sense?
« on: September 24, 2017, 05:30:56 PM »

So I spoke to a friend who was on the vedder Friday and the DFO was out checking licenses. He says he had his fishing license but was car pooling with buddies and he did not bring any photo id. DFO officer gave him ticket even though he had a fishing license. My friend is from the Philippines and his english is not best - but does this make any sense to anyone? Do you need both fishing license AND photo id? Thanks all

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Buddy got a ticket from DFO; this make sense?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 05:50:55 PM »

As far as I know, you need to produce a valid fishing licence if asked. I've been checked by DFO and the checking officer asked for my birthdate and address to see if it is consistent with the licence I produced.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »

I guess an angling license without ID could be just shared between several guys - you can print copies.

I never gave it much thought before but where does it say you must carry photo ID?

I usually do but not always have my wallet with me on the water but always have a copy of my FW license in my waders, vest , truck, boat and tackle bags.

Come to think of it, I have never been asked to produce photo ID with my FW license.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 06:23:04 PM »

... car pooling with buddies and he did not bring any photo id. DFO officer gave him ticket even though he had a fishing license.

Odd, never heard of this nor have ever been asked to produce ID in addition to the license. What was the actual violation cited on the ticket?

Alomar

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »

Kinda makes sense u need photo I D, don't you think?

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »

Odd, never heard of this nor have ever been asked to produce ID in addition to the license. What was the actual violation cited on the ticket?

The violation was not having a valid fishing license. This guy I work with and he's totally legit. He just did not have id since there were 4 of them carpooling and he's a terrible driver lol.

But yeah - bizarre.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »

I have never been asked to produce ID when being checked.

Is your friend a non resident or is he actually a Canadian who lives in BC? Small shot but I'm asking if somehow he got issued the wrong license?

Not sure how he can be cited for not having a license if he produced one? Easy to fight this one what's the date of issue on the license?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »

sport fishing guide under understand your licence---- must be produced if requested by a fishery officer,conservation officer. or fishing guardian (keep your licence with you while fishing and transporting your catch).   
I have never been asked for any id in 40 yrs of fishing.  fight it in court if you produced your licence.they will probably drop it before it gets that far.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »

BC conservation officers have been on the flow quite consistently this year checking licenses. Have not seen any DFO officers on the vedder yet but with the license....never been asked for I.D. I guess he can contest that if he wants to. My cell phone wallet has several sleeves so having I.D is never an issue for me anyway. Sounds like like he was targeted a little harshly from the officers.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »

BC conservation officers have been on the flow quite consistently this year checking licenses. Have not seen any DFO officers on the vedder yet but with the license....never been asked for I.D. I guess he can contest that if he wants to. My cell phone wallet has several sleeves so having I.D is never an issue for me anyway. Sounds like like he was targeted a little harshly from the officers.

I almost said I wonder if he was stereotyped... but wasn't sure i wanted to go there. I'm pretty sure the officer would be more professional then that. These guys deal with dirt bags from every ethnic background.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:49 PM »

The violation was not having a valid fishing license.

I think he should contest it, if he can afford the time.

Also something doesnt make sense. If he didnt have any ID, thenwho was the ticket issued to and how did the officer verify the name/address info. Did he cite the angler# or similar on the ticket? If so your friend should be able to easily demonstrate that the license was valid.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 08:04:21 PM »

Maybe he had a fishing license but didn't have it on him at the time he was asked to produce it. Then when he was asked for photo ID he didn't have that on him either. I'm thinking your friend has won himself an expensive lesson if he couldn't produce the fishing license when asked. I think the photo ID was just to ensure the CO got the name and address correct on the ticket.

There will be no mercy on the river.

No fish for him.

Personally I think there should be a grace period of time where the individual must produce the ticket at the CO office like they way it used to be. I guess the fine is to stop wasting CO's time in the field and at the office.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:19:44 PM by Rieber »

poper

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »

You need photo ID for hunting with your license or tags now, don't see why it would be different for fishing, but they may not ask for photo ID all the time,it's up to the officer.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »

Always need both.  I've been asked to prove my ID along with my license a few times over the years.

In the chuck, and in the fresh.  Even ice fishing on Tunkwa a couple years ago.  The license means nothing if it can't be corroborated.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »

You need photo ID for hunting with your license or tags now, don't see why it would be different for fishing, but they may not ask for photo ID all the time,it's up to the officer.

Makes sense. ID is good to have when a CO or RCMP sees you have a firearm or bow with you.

It won't be long before we all have a readable ID chip imbedded under our skin or retina scan for official tracking or verification. buy a license and the info gets uploaded to your readable database. Then they can scan you from above by drones or even satellite. Maybe they already can. Did you ever get a dental filling? Do you ever experience ringing in your ears? All possible signs you may be tracked without your knowledge.