Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's with the moderating?  (Read 15952 times)

milo

• Old Timer
Re: What's with the moderating?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:22 PM »

Just a guess Milo; but when you openly admit wanting to engage in criminal assault (because someone waded too close to you on a public river no less) then maybe you crossed a line? Seriously man, I've met you on the river. Why would you even consider snagging someone in the skin with hook? (shaking my head).

You misunderstood me, Dennis.

What I was trying to convey is how important it is to respect a person's casting space, regardless of their method of angling.
It is well-known that fly fishermen and gear fishermen have different casting space requirements. Where a rod length on each side is usually enough for a gear guy to fish comfortably next to another person, a fly angler needs an additional couple of feet to do a roll cast before whipping the line out in a safe and effective manner.

If a person (usually another angler) violates that space, he or she risks being snagged, as it is not possible to reduce that safe casting zone, especially if there is even the slightest bit of wind.

What I do in such scenarios is explain to the person violating the safe casting area what they are doing, and the risks they are taking by fishing so close to me. Nine people out of ten get it, and they move out of there if there is no room for them, or they move a few feet further away if there is room. Simple enough.
But there is always the obtuse few who only get it when my fly zips inches from their ears or necks or ends in their waders or clothes. I have never assaulted anyone, Dennis, but I am known to be assertive and hold my ground against bullies.

For the record, I have sunk my fly in someone's skin (other than mine) only once. Luckily, I fish barbless. 8)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »

"That's what my heavy flies are for" you said did you not? lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

"That's what my heavy flies are for" you said did you not? lol

Taken out of context, LOL!

In the rare case an obtuse individual steps into the safe casting zone and ignores my explanations, it is logical to asume that he is either stupid or conflictive and that it is very likely for me to lose my fly if/when I snag him. Therefore, I change to cheap heavy flies that look more intimidating when zipping near his face. Not because I want to inflict harm.

I never hook people on purpose. Only accidentally.
And only if they get too close. Despite the warnings.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

I am heading into my 3rd season of fishing on the Vedder and I think the deterioration of etiquette comes from "monkey see, monkey do" for lack of a better term.

I am the type of person that when I do something, I want to learn as much as I can about it and do it right.

I was guilty of it early in my first season as well. Newbies show up to the popular spots that are easily accessible on the river. They see people hauling fish out on every other cast and think, hey, I should be copying these guys if I want the same results.

Once I figured out what I was seeing was in fact not the proper way to do things, I stopped frequenting these areas. Through reading, reading and reading some more, along with having a few experienced anglers such as Milo take me out a time or two I found the right track to be on.

Common sense and courtesy go a long way but as Michael Caine said to Bruce Wayne, some men just want to watch the world burn.

I agree completely - I initially learned about river "fishing" on the Vedder.  I'm sure you can guess what I learned.  Then, in my quest to learn more, find spots etc, I googled and found FWR.  Thanks to all of you (well, MOST of you  ;) ) I learned what flossing was and how to fish properly!  It's all in the information we see - so if you have an opportunity to spend a few mins and share some knowledge with a newbie (or not so newbie for that matter) on the flow - by all means, DO IT!  At the VERY LEAST, mention the fishing boards like this one, a few may actually search them out and learn a lesson or two!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »

Milo,if there ever is a backwards pedaling race, my money is on you. :)

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »

For the record, I rarely edit or delete anything unless someone clicks the "Report To Moderator" link. I try and take the time to edit, split and delete only when necessary, but the fact is moderating is a pain in the my buddy, and most of the time it's just easier to delete the whole thing.

Here is my suggestion if you are worried about your well articulated response being deleted; don't quote posts that are going to get deleted. If you quote someone that uses foul language, personally attacks, etc, then I'm going to delete your post as well.

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »

Milo,if there ever is a backwards pedaling race, my money is on you. :)

LMFAO...awesome Bruce.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »

Taken out of context, LOL!

In the rare case an obtuse individual steps into the safe casting zone and ignores my explanations, it is logical to asume that he is either stupid or conflictive and that it is very likely for me to lose my fly if/when I snag him. Therefore, I change to cheap heavy flies that look more intimidating when zipping near his face. Not because I want to inflict harm.

I never hook people on purpose. Only accidentally.
And only if they get too close. Despite the warnings.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Still would be assault.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:58 PM »

I try and take the time to edit, split and delete only when necessary, but the fact is moderating is a pain in the my buddy, and most of the time it's just easier to delete the whole thing.

If its such a pain, then why are you a Moderator?

JPW

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 06:45:37 PM »

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Still would be assault.

Something about your replies reminds me a lot of the salmon pirate...

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:59 PM »

What's wrong with plain old assault?
You try and be an ignorant smartass you should learn how to swim in short order.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »

What's wrong with plain old assault?
You try and be an ignorant smartass you should learn how to swim in short order.

Did you know that uttering a threat is actually more of an offense than assault itself? (Not saying that you're threatening me.)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »

Did you know that uttering a threat is actually more of an offense than assault itself? (Not saying that you're threatening me.)

Sure, if you want to give lawyers game.
That's why it's better not to utter, just act.
Dogs that bark don't bite.  ;)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:17 PM »

Sure, if you want to give lawyers game.
That's why it's better not to utter, just act.
Dogs that bark don't bite.  ;)

No need for a lawyer, just call the cops.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »

If its such a pain, then why are you a Moderator?
Because I'm helping a friend. Like when you look after a couple's kids so they can go out for the night.