Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's with the moderating?  (Read 15954 times)

milo

• Old Timer
What's with the moderating?
« on: September 19, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »

Some recent censoring and moderating decisions where whole threads have been removed although they contained what I consider relevant information make me shake my head.
It is frustrating to spend time writing up stuff only to find it gone a few hours later, photos and everything.

Although it is ultimately up to the site owner to decide what goes and what stays and we as members (especially non-paying ones) have litle to no say in it, it would be nice if whoever decided to vaporize a thread locked it first with an accompanying explanation. That way we would know which comment or photo "crossed the line".

End of rant.
Good fishing everyone.

And don't low-hole me.  ;D

Drewhill

Re: What's with the moderating?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »

Some recent censoring and moderating decisions where whole threads have been removed although they contained what I consider relevant information make me shake my head.
It is frustrating to spend time writing up stuff only to find it gone a few hours later, photos and everything.

Although it is ultimately up to the site owner to decide what goes and what stays and we as members (especially non-paying ones) have litle to no say in it, it would be nice if whoever decided to vaporize a thread locked it first with an accompanying explanation. That way we would know which comment or photo "crossed the line".

End of rant.
Good fishing everyone.

This thread is going to be erased in the next 10 minutes.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »

End of rant.
Good fishing everyone.

From the guidelines !!!!!!!!!

Participate responsibly!
We intend to keep this discussion forum a positive learning environment for all. When you participate in our discussion forum, you should do so in a responsible and respectful manner. You should be aware of the followings:

No profanity: This discussion forum caters users of all ages and profanity will not be tolerated. Many words have been censored out and please do not attempt to use the same words by omitting a letter or two. They will be deleted. We believe that you can deliver your opinions without these poorly chosen words.
    No flaming or bullying: Cyber bullying is taken very seriously, especially when the recipient is under the age of 18 on the forum. Personal attacks will be deleted.
    Fishing reports: Fishing reports are to be posted in the fishing reports section, which is limited to a number of users (see below). You should provide a general location and date in your report title. Participants who choose to intimidate reporters who choose to name a specific location will not be tolerated by post removal, loss of privelege in the report section or banning. While we understand that some river systems are more fragile than others, not all anglers are aware of this, so a better alternative would be to privately contact the reporters via email in a respectful manner.
    Fish photos: Participants are encouraged to share their photos. If you feel that fish are being mishandled in the photos, respond privately by providing constructive feedbacks. Remember, fish handling techniques are knowledge that entry-level anglers may not be aware of.
    Re-read before posting: Words can be interpreted in different ways so it is important for you to re-read before posting. What appears to be funny to you, may not be at all to others. If you wish others to read, respect and absorb your view points, you must first earn it by doing the same when posting.
    Bannings: If a participant chooses to break these rules and our registration agreement repeatedly, he or she will be banned permanently.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:13:56 AM »

Still doesn't explain the disappearance of the netting in the Fraser thread and Tex's thread on etiquette and violation of regs.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »

Whats with the Moderating? 

I think this site is VERY well moderated.  In my opinion any posts with hints of violence or assaulting should be deleted.  Eg) Throwing people or gear in rivers.  Hooking people with flies etc...

Kids read this site.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »

Milo, in my thread it degenerated into name calling including some terms many people consider very offensive (ie. retards, etc).  I asked the thread be locked - I imagine that the moderators didn't have the time/energy/interest in editing 5+ pages and just found it easier to delete it.

Besides, everything that could've been said there had already been said.

Not sure about the other thread, so can't comment on that.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »

End of rant.
Good fishing everyone.

Lol, this site has definitely become less engaging.
I suppose if you are a member for 10 years things get a bit repetitive.
And all of our rants and efforts to get people started in the right direction are not paying off.
I see more and more flossers on the Vedder these days.
Not sure where they get their information from and who is showing them how to fish.  :o :-\
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:04:40 AM by adriaticum »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »

I see more and more flossers on the Vedder these days.
Not sure where they get their information from and who is showing them how to fish.  :o :-\

That has been my observation as well - even on the Squamish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »

Milo, in my thread it degenerated into name calling including some terms many people consider very offensive (ie. retards, etc).  I asked the thread be locked - I imagine that the moderators didn't have the time/energy/interest in editing 5+ pages and just found it easier to delete it.

Besides, everything that could've been said there had already been said.

Not sure about the other thread, so can't comment on that.

I concur, it was getting a bit out of hand.

salmonlover

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

what I find comical, threads like the one tex started get deleted or the one about asians not having licenses gets locked. Yet you can look through the history of this forum and see countless topics about first nations being allowed to go on and on and on and on. Especially last year a certain thread was promoting nothing but hatred and prejudice. why is racism and bigotry allowed to go on and on about them? makes me wonder if this mods have the same feeling towards these people. this isnt me stirring up trouble or being a troll. this is a truly valid opinion and nothing else. explanation?

DRP79

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »

I am heading into my 3rd season of fishing on the Vedder and I think the deterioration of etiquette comes from "monkey see, monkey do" for lack of a better term.

I am the type of person that when I do something, I want to learn as much as I can about it and do it right.

I was guilty of it early in my first season as well. Newbies show up to the popular spots that are easily accessible on the river. They see people hauling fish out on every other cast and think, hey, I should be copying these guys if I want the same results.

Once I figured out what I was seeing was in fact not the proper way to do things, I stopped frequenting these areas. Through reading, reading and reading some more, along with having a few experienced anglers such as Milo take me out a time or two I found the right track to be on.

Common sense and courtesy go a long way but as Michael Caine said to Bruce Wayne, some men just want to watch the world burn.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »

Through reading, reading and reading some more, along with having a few experienced anglers such as Milo take me out a time or two I found the right track to be on.

And now you'll probably outfish me you eager learner you! :D

[/quote]
what I find comical, threads like the one tex started get deleted or the one about asians not having licenses gets locked. Yet you can look through the history of this forum and see countless topics about first nations being allowed to go on and on and on and on. Especially last year a certain thread was promoting nothing but hatred and prejudice. why is racism and bigotry allowed to go on and on about them? makes me wonder if this mods have the same feeling towards these people. this isnt me stirring up trouble or being a troll. this is a truly valid opinion and nothing else. explanation?

I am not sure I can agree with you. I think this forum doesn't suffer from racism and bigotry. Maybe some individuals here are racists and bigots, but you are wrong in painting the whole forum as a collective with that brush. If anything, I find that this forum has been quite successful in helping anglers belonging to visible minorities integrate better into the sport as practiced in BC.

I judge people only on the basis of their behaviour towards others. Skin colour, religion, education level and social status are completely irrelevant.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:21:17 PM by milo »

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »

That has been my observation as well - even on the Squamish.
I am a prime example of the pay off you quoted. anyone who has ever fished with me can see, and hear how much I love the fish I catch. I generally talk to my catches before releasing, I am an animal lover, always have been. but the morals and ethics have been shaped by many on this board, and fly bc. my concern for water systems and their inhabitants has been enhanced by the likes of yourself, floon, March Brown, Rod, and countless others. sure there may be more flossers, snaggers and poachers, but if it weren't for knowledgeable people and sites like this, there might have been one more. I've recently gotten a buddy of mine from work into fly fishing, and he could have been introduced by someone who doesn't care about fish, just fishing. I just think to say it's not paying off is silly. maybe the dividends aren't huge, but they are there.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »

Geez... I'm not racist, really. I just hate everyone. ;)

The recent threads were moved to the private section because the posts just took too long to edit by the time I looked at them. I have a certain expectation when it comes to the way adults conduct themselves, which were not demonstrated in those posts. It was just easier to get rid of them than trying to save them. Call me lazy, but I'm in Europe right now, so my time on the forum is limited.

If you want to look for racism, you'll find it everywhere you look.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »

Remember in a psy. book in college that had a one picture cartoon.

Sitting around a big round table were a farmer, an alien ( from some other planet ) entertainer,mayor,small kid, fitness instructor,mother that had 10 kids ,muslim & a christian preacher etc...& the person in charge asked "What is truth?"

A get the pt.
There were so many dif. answers to the question !
It's a big job moderating because it can be a fine line to make judgements to please everyone.
I posted yesterday & checked today & could not find the thread.
No big deal as I'm sure the powers that be made a decision that was right.

Please the people some of the time & impossible to please people all the time.