Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehailis  (Read 4012 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Chehailis
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:16:35 PM »

Went to check out the hatchery on the Chehailis last Saturday. Anyone know what’s going on with the pens all dried up . Gate locked , not able to go look inside as it was deserted on a Saturday afternoon. I know the river has slowly died out , so is this the final end of life to this river ? . Once teaming with chum and coho this time of year to nothing .
Well, I shouldn’t say nothing. There were a few hundred coho in the hatchery channel, fairly red . No chum . A few guys up the canyon.
Construction on the new bridge to a big bight out of the forest right into the campground. It it the end as we know it ? Or used to know it ! 😕
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Chehailis
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:43:23 PM »

I posed a question on another thread. One angler we spoke to said that the Chehalis hatchery has permanently closed! This would me the end of the salmon fishery on that system in a couple of years. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, someone told me the inch creek hatchery has closed due to COVID-19, so there will be no coho returning in that system in 3 years time. Again, anyone heard of this?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 03:17:37 PM »

From what I know about the Inch Creek hatchery is its closed due to COVID, Closed to the public. Its operating as usual just no public access.

Apparently the Federal government thinks fish Hatcheries are a hot bed for COVID transmission and renain closed while everything else is wide open.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 03:20:05 PM by Hike_and_fish »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 03:19:30 PM »

You say the "pens are all dried up". Do you mean the rearing ponds?  Aren't those usually empty this time of year?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »

The chehalis hatchery is closed to the public due to Covid, it is not permanently closed. They are still spawning and rearing fish. They have had a very good return of coho thus far.

All federal hatcheries are operating as normal (although some without seasonal staff), and are simply closed to public observation.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 05:22:07 PM »

The chehalis hatchery is closed to the public due to Covid, it is not permanently closed. They are still spawning and rearing fish. They have had a very good return of coho thus far.

All federal hatcheries are operating as normal (although some without seasonal staff), and are simply closed to public observation.

That's good to hear. Same goes for the inch creek hatchery? Of course, we should take comments from other anglers with a grain of salt. Thanks for the reply.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 06:22:59 PM »

Should all be the same. If there have been changes I would have seen it in the emails. There is a SFAC meeting coming up in a week or so from now where all three hatchery managers will be briefing everyone so I'll know how everything is doing then.

cammer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »

Rod.  Bring it up that the river needs to be deflected back to the hatchery !  The same type of wing dams that exist on many parts of the vedder (4 on native land alone)!  Like the original poster said ,  it’s only time b4 the federal govt pulls the plug on this hatchery IMHO ,   Go look at the outlet channel and you will see the lack of investment /maintenance into a future that I see!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 07:19:55 PM »

Should all be the same. If there have been changes I would have seen it in the emails. There is a SFAC meeting coming up in a week or so from now where all three hatchery managers will be briefing everyone so I'll know how everything is doing then.

Thanks Rod. That's encouraging news. Please keep us up to date! Cheers!  :)

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 08:58:12 PM »

You say the "pens are all dried up". Do you mean the rearing ponds?  Aren't those usually empty this time of year?
Sorry , Yes . The Coho rearing ponds/channels close to the outlet channel .Typically at this time of year I recall those ponds full of Coho with the pump throwing tons of water out that large tube into the ponds . Unless the hatchery sucked them all up already and pumped them out up river and some in the Harrison ? .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 01:16:46 PM »

i really hope they are having a good coho year this year. the past years have been terrible. use to be a very productive fishery. have a had a busy year with house reno's so havent had time to go.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »

Typical Chehalis in November. I was in the lower yesterday and all there were so many Chum. No Coho on my line. I am not too sure if the Chum just overpowered the Coho or there were no Coho in the lower. The week before was very good. Probably the best iver seen it in years. Mid to the end of October are the better times before all the dogs come to the park.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »

Typical Chehalis in November. I was in the lower yesterday and all there were so many Chum. No Coho on my line. I am not too sure if the Chum just overpowered the Coho or there were no Coho in the lower. The week before was very good. Probably the best iver seen it in years. Mid to the end of October are the better times before all the dogs come to the park.
Was that before the torrential rains went through? I know from fishing there in past yrs the Chehalis rises and blows out very fast. It also comes back into shape very quickly. With the commercial fisheries open this week it’s no wonder you didn’t see any coho. In yrs past I have caught coho in between the chums. You just have to weed through them to get to the coho. Cheers.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 06:03:54 AM »

Was that before the torrential rains went through? I know from fishing there in past yrs the Chehalis rises and blows out very fast. It also comes back into shape very quickly. With the commercial fisheries open this week it’s no wonder you didn’t see any coho. In yrs past I have caught coho in between the chums. You just have to weed through them to get to the coho. Cheers.

Tried. We had three top rod going thru the chum for Coho and couldn't pick up a single Ho