Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ottawa opens door to First Nations fisheries authority  (Read 4653 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Ottawa opens door to First Nations fisheries authority
« on: October 02, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »

Fisheries and Oceans Minister Bernadette Jordan said today the federal government is open to the creation of a First Nations fisheries authority,

Jordan also said a sound management framework is necessary for the management and conservation of fish stocks. That statement upset many First Nations people who felt the minister was telling them they had to follow Canada's fishing management model or face consequences.

Jordan appeared to soften her tone the following day in an updated statement that did not mention the need for a framework or enforcement.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/minister-jordan-first-nations-fisheries-authority-1.5746497

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Ottawa opens door to First Nations fisheries authority
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »

Sounds like typical Liberal wasted spending to me if they're going to have to follow the laws that the feds set in place. Isn't this what DFO is supposed to do anyhow ? Enforcement?

Joke

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:13:30 PM »

story and announcement reads as specifically focused on the Nova Scotia FN Lobster fishery. FN fisheries on the West Coast are pretty much integrated into the DFO management regime and as some may have noticed from the constant complaints over the last 20+ years FNs do get fisheries openings when other sectors do not.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »

story and announcement reads as specifically focused on the Nova Scotia FN Lobster fishery.

Lot of members on here with strong opinions about the Atlantic lobster fishery. Watch out!

Morty

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 03:26:46 PM »

Lot of members on here with strong opinions about the Atlantic lobster fishery. Watch out!

Before they express their strong opinions, they should read about the actual Treaty that was reached & signed by the Crown and those Aboriginal groups.

A recommendation to anyone reading, or wanting chime-in, on this topic, I suggest that you get and read a copy of a great book  "First Nations, Second Thoughts"  It gives a in-depth historical detail on the so-called "First Nations" situation and positions.

I won't go into a lot of specifics here except that:  just like when one of up shows up a fishing spot first and then someone comes later, or budges in, we get annoyed and expect them to move on.   On sport fishing discussion boards I've read of incidents where physical fights have broken out, and even knives being pulled.   

Similarly in concept, the Canadian 'Aboriginal Peoples' (more correct terminology) feel that way about their fishing, hunting, trapping, and territorial "rights".  And technically they are not wrong.  Some just go about acting on their perceived rights in an inappropriate way.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:57:05 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 09:19:49 PM »

First Nations, Second Thoughts by Tom Flanagan... 'nuff said.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »

A recommendation to anyone reading, or wanting chime-in, on this topic, I suggest that you get and read a copy of a great book  "First Nations, Second Thoughts"  It gives a in-depth historical detail on the so-called "First Nations" situation and positions.

I won't go into a lot of specifics here except that:  just like when one of up shows up a fishing spot first and then someone comes later, or budges in, we get annoyed and expect them to move on.   On sport fishing discussion boards I've read of incidents where physical fights have broken out, and even knives being pulled.   

Similarly in concept, the Canadian 'Aboriginal Peoples' (more correct terminology) feel that way about their fishing, hunting, trapping, and territorial "rights".  And technically they are not wrong.  Some just go about acting on their perceived rights in an inappropriate way.

So leave Canada and donate your property to your local First Nation band

Thank you for understanding

According to the Supreme Court the crown must way equally aboriginal rights With the rights of its citizens. Hence the pipeline going through.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 09:50:55 PM by wildmanyeah »

Morty

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »

So leave Canada and donate your property to your local First Nation band

Thank you for understanding

Nah - I'm 5th generation Canadian, my kids are  6th, and my grandkids are 7th.  It's traditional for 7 generations in my family to rod & reel fish for table salmon.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 09:57:57 PM »

Fish is just an easy currency for the government to give them.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »

Nah - I'm 5th generation Canadian, my kids are  6th, and my grandkids are 7th.  It's traditional for 7 generations in my family to rod & reel fish for table salmon.

Traditional maybe, a constitutional right, nah!

standalone

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 04:50:33 PM »

Before they express their strong opinions, they should read about the actual Treaty that was reached & signed by the Crown and those Aboriginal groups.

weeks ago on Chilliwack river. one took my fishing spot when I retie my broken leader on the bank. I told him I was fishing there then I was asked to give up my fishing spot to him because his grand-grand father came here way earlier than me. I told him if his grand-grand father came here claim the spot, I would give up. but not him.