Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River meeting by all three sectors  (Read 18205 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fraser River meeting by all three sectors
« on: April 23, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »

The Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance (FRSA) was instrumental in arranging and participating in the March 26th meeting with First Nations and the commercial fishing sector. This meeting was a direct result of several informal meeting with the Lower Fraser Fisheries Association (LFFA) toward developing an effective communication venue which could facilitate respectful discussion regarding the many issues impacting Fraser River fisheries. These discussions would involve all species, perhaps through a Round Table concept facilitated by the sectors with government participation by invite. The primary attendees would be harvester/fishers with other NGO's such as environmental groups invited as required.

This process recognizes the successes of initiatives such as the Fraser River Peacemakers and hope to build on the cooperative spirit that Peacemakers established. All parties agree that the Fraser River fishery is facing very significant challenges including extreme conservation concerns for Fraser River chinook and Fraser interior steelhead. Significant closures and fishing restrictions on the Fraser will be the norm this summer resulting in tremendous financial loss as well as loss of quality family fishing time.

All parties are supportive of finding solutions to benefit all fishers on the Fraser. The well attended March 26th meeting was an important first step in getting to know each other and hopefully develop trust between participants. Several respected First Nations organizations as well as regional and provincial sport fishing groups participated along with the commercial sector from the Fraser. Comments from these participants indicated that progress was made and there appeared to be consensus that these talks should continue.

The sport fishing sector is responsible for facilitating the next meeting and the FRSA will play an important role in further talks. It is agreed by all participants that it will take the efforts of all user groups and the commitment of our fisheries managers to save our threatened salmon, steelhead and sturgeon stocks. It will take the commitment of all user groups to working together to ensure we have Fraser River fisheries for our respective future generations.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River meeting by all three sectors
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »

All old people in the picture, Its young people out on the water that are fighting

Robert_G

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »

Comments from these participants indicated that progress was made and there appeared to be consensus that these talks should continue.

These 'talks' have been going on since the early 90s. I'll be dead before any of these 'talks' accomplish anything that gets me back out fishing for salmon.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:35:00 PM »

These 'talks' have been going on since the early 90s. I'll be dead before any of these 'talks' accomplish anything that gets me back out fishing for salmon.

Don't worry, the objective of these meetings is not to get you back out fishing lol....

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:44:28 PM »

Don't worry, the objective of these meetings is not to get you back out fishing lol....

Yeah First Nations hold all the cards in that respect. Only cards the rec sector has to play is not reporting what they see on the water in social media.

Robert_G

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:23:01 AM »

Then please explain to me why I should give a you-know-what about these meetings.
I thought this was a forum for the interests of sports fisherman???

dobrolub

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 01:11:13 PM »

if it's not about getting us on the water, then, possibly, it's about getting us off the water  8)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 01:14:21 AM »

Then please explain to me why I should give a you-know-what about these meetings.
I thought this was a forum for the interests of sports fisherman???

This is a collective effort to save fish for the future generations.

It's pretty obvious you don't give a you-know-what about these meetings and First Nations, so why would I be interested to spend my volunteer time to gain fishing opportunities for you. ;D ::) ;D ::)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »

interesting concept, Wish you guys the best of luck.

There really is only two option tho

Reduce Effort or produce more fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »

Well obviously that's not the concept lol... My personal opinions are tongue and cheek toward those who still feel entitled to fish while stocks are in serious troubles.

There's a lot being discussed at these meetings. I recommend all to get updated by your organizations. If you don't belong to one, join one.

dobrolub

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »

I hope you mean FNs there Rodney

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »

I hope you mean FNs there Rodney

I meant anyone who feels entitled.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »

Well obviously that's not the concept lol... My personal opinions are tongue and cheek toward those who still feel entitled to fish while stocks are in serious troubles.

And I hope you understand that one heck of a lot of those who used to be able to fish were not impacting Fraser River Chinook to any measurable degree, but still are being forced off the water by DFO caving into the ongoing FN Blackmail scheme Rod.

I understand the concerns in-river, and in the approach lanes. But it is ludicrous to force those who have negligible impact off the water simply by the demands of one sector. Blackmail in that the overlying threat was and is they would fish those stocks to extinction were everyone else (regardless of impact) taken off the water.

I understand your group is focused on the Fraser, and the impacts to it's stocks. Painting all with your tongue in cheek comment is grossly unfair my Friend.

Matt

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 01:27:58 PM »

Matt, I wasn't suggesting you and those who have been financially affected feel entitled. This discussion is on the Fraser River and the issues surrounding it only.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »

Matt, I wasn't suggesting you and those who have been financially affected feel entitled. This discussion is on the Fraser River and the issues surrounding it only.

Roger That. Apologies for the misinterpretation. Carry On & Best of Luck.

Matt