Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sad On The Vedder These Days  (Read 20253 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Sad On The Vedder These Days
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 02:57:42 PM »

I think Zackattack hit the nail on the head about the Vedder.

I had the opportunity to tour the upper Vedder with someone from the salmonid enhancement program earlier this year and was told that all the habitat creation works along the river have doubled the number of pinks returning over the last 20 years, as well as increasing other runs substantially.

The impression I got was that DFO is mandated to provide recreational opportunities in this region (including retention) and the strategy so far has included focusing fishing pressure on the Vedder because it is already urbanized and degraded, has decades of data available, and has heavily augmented conditions that essentially guarantee continued viable populations.

I'm not sure whether this strategy encourages more people to fish all season and elsewhere, or satisfies some fishing angst that would otherwise be directed at more vulnerable fisheries, but I think the strategy is a good way to provide recreational fishing opportunities nonetheless.

Of course more enforcement and education would be better (and DFO knows this), but our current federal government has eliminated that possibility through budget cuts in 2012 and 2013. Maybe next year... ::)

P.S. If you ever get a chance to walk through the trails around the fish habitat works it's absolutely gorgeous, textbook perfect spawning habitat stretching many kilometers.  8)

Good post Byronnn; I certainly agree the habitat created in the upper river has increased salmonid populations and the same is happening now on the flood plain along the lower river.  What channels/areas did you tour?    Good to read posts from someone who advocates for fish ;)

Byronnn

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 04:39:49 PM »

Hey Dave,

I uploaded some of the photos I took on the tour, with GPS coordinates.
http://imgur.com/a/XxAgJ

The best place to access most of the works is on the Trans Canada Trail, the few kilometers going east starting from the intersection of Chilliwack Lake Road and the Foley Creek FSR. I don't remember too many of the names, but Centennial channel, Anderson pond, and something with Mushroom in the name stand out. There's a few signs along the way with maps, dates, and names of the spots.

I bet it would be a great walk anytime now through December, must be tons of fish in there!

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »

I have never heard of this habitat restoration, very cool.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »

Hey Dave,

I uploaded some of the photos I took on the tour, with GPS coordinates.
http://imgur.com/a/XxAgJ

The best place to access most of the works is on the Trans Canada Trail, the few kilometers going east starting from the intersection of Chilliwack Lake Road and the Foley Creek FSR. I don't remember too many of the names, but Centennial channel, Anderson pond, and something with Mushroom in the name stand out. There's a few signs along the way with maps, dates, and names of the spots.

I bet it would be a great walk anytime now through December, must be tons of fish in there!
I know all these areas very well!  Is the Mushroom Channel perhaps AngelWing?  If so, that channel is first class coho habitat. Whatever, they are all marvelous walks at any time of the year but if you want a true dead salmon smell experience, go up to Centennial Channel in about 10 days ... thousands and thousands of dead pinks, some with their brains removed by bears, lol!
Do a search on this site for steelhead enumerations by a few of us locals, Centennial Channel is mentioned many times.

Looking forward to your future posts ..

Canyon

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »

we took our kids to the keith Wilson bridge found a parking spot get out of the car and someone dumped all there garbage right on the bank its really quite sad how some treat our recreational areas

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »

Yup, it's bad all over but the good news is the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society will be cleaning this area on Sunday.  See Chris's earlier post and come on out and help!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2015, 10:07:20 PM »

Today I saw a person drag a fish up on the rocks, then with his foot move it back into the water, too lazy to bend down I guess.

I had a short talk with him and said in the future, keep the fish in the water if you are not retaining it.

His reply"Okay."  I was a little stern with him maybe I should have been more polite but it makes one angry to see so this going on.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »

Today I saw a person drag a fish up on the rocks, then with his foot move it back into the water, too lazy to bend down I guess.

I had a short talk with him and said in the future, keep the fish in the water if you are not retaining it.

His reply"Okay."  I was a little stern with him maybe I should have been more polite but it makes one angry to see so this going on.

Good on you Chris, always start out polite though.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2015, 09:32:09 PM »

Good on you Chris, always start out polite though.
Getting crappy at 72 and 50 years of marriage.lol

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »

Getting crappy at 72 and 50 years of marriage.lol
I bet you are a little crabby too :)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict