Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sad On The Vedder These Days  (Read 20256 times)

Salmon__Slayer

Re: Sad On The Vedder These Days
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 09:12:49 PM »

Confronting people on the river can always be a dicey situation, but as fishing community members we all need to say something to try and educate people. It really is sad to hear stories and see first hand what goes on out on the river.
well said

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »

Ive seen a kid snagging fish just to catch a fish i went over and told him not gonna report you but buddy ill setup ur rod for float fishing. gave him a jig  and put a nice float and bam was hitting chums like crazy

Kever

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »

Good on you man! I've offered to do the same for others on the river and they always appreciate it. Someone did that for me once and it got me started down the right path. I've found that people are generally appreciative when I inform them of ways to not snag fish. My goal this year is to do at least one positive thing for the river and fish each time I go out, be it picking up garbage or educating noobs.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 10:07:01 PM »

I was fishing couple weeks ago at the canal and a well dressed fly fisher walked in with his kid. Looked like a decent fly fisher when he started to cast but I was flabbergasted when the kid started to snag pinks. He had a long leader and at the end of each drift he would yank on the rod. Fish was coming hooked at the tail and back but the fly fisher dad did nothing to change his behaviour.

I just did not think it was my place to teach a kid how to fish with his flyfisher dad around.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 10:42:45 PM »

... was told to F##king mind my own business.

In my dreams this would be a great time to be an undercover CO.

"Excuse me sir, I believe retaining foul hooked fish is not permitted. You should probably release that fish."
"Go EFF yourself and mind your own *$^&$'ing business" -BONK
*flashes badge*
"Come with me sir, we're going to have a nice chat with some of my colleagues. And gather up your gear, you wont be needing it anymore."

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »

Hahah that would be awesome

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 03:16:11 AM »

Yes things are bad. And while I do admire people that say something to these losers without actual enforcement little will change.

Having more closures to retention will go along way to reducing this behaviour and the numbers of people fishing this way and managers could do this by acknowledging the impact on the stocks that a large number of people snagging 20 or 30 fish in a day can have.

Also it might be beneficial as well because it will bring out more people on the river who don't just fish to snag and kill.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:18:14 AM by swimmingwiththefishes »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 06:03:43 AM »

does anyone think it was any different when just coho and springs were open? You want people to do this exclusively to those species? Oh wait the fall white springs are introduced & were never native so it would be just coho to get such fine treatment.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 06:24:41 AM »

The river is easy to access, cheap to fish, allowed to keep fish, hence the you get all the riff riff from everywhere around lining its banks. I take my son down to watch the spectacle to teach him how not to fish. It's very educational for him.

Zackattack

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 12:08:57 PM »

Having more closures to retention will go along way to reducing this behaviour and the numbers of people fishing this way and managers could do this by acknowledging the impact on the stocks that a large number of people snagging 20 or 30 fish in a day can have.

This defeats the entire purpose of the Vedder... Its a fishery meant to give opportunites to large volumes of people from the Lower Mainland, sell licenses, and so on. The pink fishery probably helps taper the crowds for later in the season anyways. Let them get their pinks..lots of kids out there enjoying the pinks too.

That said, more enforcement/ethics could go a long way. My feeling is its kind of open season on the Vedder and enforcement dont even bother with it for the most part.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 12:10:56 PM by Zackattack »

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

#pinklivesmatter

banx

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 12:37:11 PM »

Walleye76

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 04:36:14 PM »

This defeats the entire purpose of the Vedder... Its a fishery meant to give opportunites to large volumes of people from the Lower Mainland, sell licenses, and so on. The pink fishery probably helps taper the crowds for later in the season anyways. Let them get their pinks..lots of kids out there enjoying the pinks too.

That said, more enforcement/ethics could go a long way. My feeling is its kind of open season on the Vedder and enforcement dont even bother with it for the most part.

I disagree on the "helps taper crowds" part... I wouls be willing to bet a lot of people will be drawn into fishing from the pink fishery and then transfer the habits/ways of "fishing" they learned to other species later. As did IMO the sockeye harvest last year

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 06:37:19 PM »

Make the Vedder (below the crossing) fly fishing only Sept 1st to 30th ... at least, preferably till Oct 15th. That solve the problem. Absolutely guaranteed. 8)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 07:42:42 PM »

Make the Vedder (below the crossing) fly fishing only Sept 1st to 30th ... at least, preferably till Oct 15th. That solve the problem. Absolutely guaranteed. 8)

That's a great idea, but I'm a fly fisherman at heart. ;)