Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sad On The Vedder These Days  (Read 20255 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Sad On The Vedder These Days
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:18:53 AM »

I know it is like kicking a dead horse but when checking the Vedder yesterday morning to check some garbage bags that are placed out there it was so sad to see the way the pinks are being treated.

Many were hauled way up on the rocks and sand and then put back in the water, especially the bucks as some people were just looking for does and their roe and so many anglers just linning and snagging them in the less than ideal water conditions.

I know this will never change now,education may help a few but who is going to do that, anyway there is too many of them to fit in a classroom, a sad state of affairs continue with the recreational sector.

losos

Re: Sad On The Vedder These Days
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 05:48:45 AM »

There are so many cretins fishing these days,I agree. unfortunately budget for DFO officers is low and there is no way to curb such behaviour.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:38:03 AM »

I can't understand why the ethics on the Vedder seem so much lower than on other rivers.   

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 07:14:37 AM »

It's not just the vedder. Say something to these people.

DRP79

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 08:14:34 AM »

Grip it and rip it season is in full swing, thats for sure. Last week I stopped by the crossing and the whole far beach was just a rip fest, pulling pinks in by the back and tail and bonking them.

buck

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 09:07:04 AM »

Chris
As we discussed, the Vedder River should be non-retention for pinks, sockeye and chum. This would go a long way in curbing some of the ongoing problems. Why DFO opened this fishery in the first place is a mystery. Enforcement seems to be of little importance and it is not up to anglers who are fishing properly to enforce the rules. One could be in
confrontation with fishermen all day long which doesn't make an enjoyable outing.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »

It's insane , I drove past Flood Hope Saturday . Seen at least 100 + floosers on the bar in the Fraser  >:(
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Walleye76

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »

It's disgusting! Went out sat am (I usually stay away on the weekends) and the total lack of respect for the fishery, the surroundings or anything for that matter is appalling.i was there for 1.5hrs and witnessed full on snagging, dragging across rocks kicking back in, I yelled across river at two young guys (20-25) snagging 5-10 ft from shore, people keeping everything they hooked and on my way out came across a bag in bushes with 4 pinks rotting away. I called rapp and was told "well there's a lot of pinks in the system" like that somehow makes it ok... Brutal state

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »

So many people just dont give a crap. Leave your cupcakes on the river, snag and kick back fish, slit fish for roe and throw in the bush, get called on for doing an illegal act and your the one told to fu ck off. Some people...
The Bigger The Better!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »

I can't understand why the ethics on the Vedder seem so much lower than on other rivers.

Its all about numbers thats why. Biggest hartchery produced river in the lower mainland. Plus the easy access to the river. Hence the reason I rarely ever fish it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »

Saw a guy rip the gills out of one side of a pink on the Vedder a week back and toss the fish onto the ground and walk away to carry on fishing, while the fish flopped around and slowly bleed out on the beach.  I asked him if I could bonk the fish to put it out of its misery and was told to F##king mind my own business.  I now know why some angles give up on rivers like the Vedder.  It's tough to stomach.   :(   >:(

Salmon__Slayer

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 08:35:19 PM »

tell me about it was walking a trail with my shepard today by a small spawning creek. when i saw this guy snagging salmon right at the mouth poor pinks. went on the hatchery website and saw that this year was the first in 10 years a pink salmon school had come in good numbers.  I reported him and the officer said we will try to get someone down there in the next few hours . waited 30 min went up to the man and first thing he said exuse me im fishing here ur in casting way and thats when i noticed a treble hook.

Stewie

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »

Confronting people on the river can always be a dicey situation, but as fishing community members we all need to say something to try and educate people. It really is sad to hear stories and see first hand what goes on out on the river.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »

I agreed that DFO should close the pink and chum fishery. Most of these fish are not edible anyways when they get up to the Vedder.

It will reduce many of the SNAGGERS. They will not want to fish for coho because its not so easy to snag them and someone is bound to scream at them for doing it.

SilverChaser

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:11:29 PM »

Its hard to talk to people; everyone thinks there a "pro" fisherman. its even harder to talk to people when you're 17 years old.... nobody wants to listen.
Freestone Fly Co Ambassador
Halieus Outdoors Team Member